Pick Pockets In Jeepneys

Ilovecebu

I have a friend in Banilad that always takes jeepneys, No car! Somehow he sat in a jeepney and there were 2 Filipinos , sitting on each side of him.

Heavens knows how they were able to take 8000 pesos from his pocket, sitting in a jeepney

Smooth Criminals ??

So watch out and if you have an expensive cell, avoid having it in your hands while riding them also !

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• crewsafe

• james

• freeheeler

• Bet_Busta

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Most common modus operandi is that they operate in three's.The 2 guys on your

sides and a third guy opposite you. The guy opposite will create a distraction to

attract your attention, like dropping a coin or will say "there's something in your hair".

This is when the guys on your sides do there thing.

WorldlyPatriot

The only attempted pickpocketing I have experienced were in jeepneys, but not in Cebu. Both were attempted in Angeles City.

The first attempt involved an adult and a child. The adult sat directly next to me, while the child (about 8 yrs. old) sat next to the adult. During the trip and multiple stops of the jeepney, the adult would lean forward, and the child would attempt to enter my rear pocket. The child was good, but not good enough.

The second attempt was also very slick, but involved one adult. It was raining, the jeepney was loading, and I had both hands full (one with a bag of groceries, the other with my umbrella). I sat across from a Filipino. During loading, he suddenly decided to sit next to me. That was his first mistake, since it was a tip-off. Soon afterward, he took out a wet P20 bill, shook it in front of me, while feigning to pay his fare. Simultaneously, his other hand went into my left front pocket. He was also experienced, but the charade with the money and fare didn't fool me, and I actually caught his hand in my pocket after dropping my grocery bag. He was so embarrassed, he left the jeepney immediately.

• 1 month later...

ha ha thats why when I was there I had my hand on my pocket where my wallet was all the time when I rode a Jeepney once.

My mom told me never trust anybody but family, if I ever went to the Philippines.LOL

This is going to sound cruel to some of you but if you catch a thief with his hand in your pocket, then break it (or at least give it a good twist). These clowns will just walk away from you laughing if they get caught & you do nothing. Thus the kleptomania culture that exists here.

The old favorite amongst kids here is to surround you & start poking you all at once, while one of them goes for the pockets. If you will observe this sometime, you will see an adult somewhere off to the side controlling these kids.

I once smacked a young boy (around 8-yrs. old) upside the head with my thick notebook while on the way to school. Him & his very little sister tried this scam, but once I felt his hand on my cell phone it was time for a lesson in street survival. I then walked over to the woman controlling these street urchins & chewed on her arse for awhile. Later on, on my way back home after school, they were no where to be seen. Might sound cruel, but what was even more cruel, was an adult turning these kids into criminals.

Have observed Badjo girls swapping off newborn babies, using them as begging props & once the taxi took off, the baby's head bounced down the side of the taxi. The Badjo girl could have cared less, she was only pissed that the foreigner did not give her any money.

This is the reality of life in Asia. Could tell stories all night about how other countries treat each other (try Sharia 'Islamic' law), so if one is going to live/visit here, then by all means maintain the decency that you were raised with, but be ready to face reality...at least as the inhabitants of a country see it. :)

Edited by crewsafe

I have had pockets made on trousers with a velcro fastening around five inches in the inner pocket holds money and keys great for outdoor work but also perfect for trips near pickpocket areas, I also have shorts where the pocket goes right to the bottom of the leg, if you wanted to pick my pocket you would be up to your elbow and I may just may notice that as ai walk along with a little guy s arm stuck in my shorts.

I also had the wifes handbag strap under sewn with a kevlar strip, why well there have been slash and run handbag episodes, so if they try they would find a cut resistent finish that would cause them to have to re think the idea,

James

I have had pockets made on trousers with a velcro fastening around five inches in the inner pocket holds money and keys great for outdoor work but also perfect for trips near pickpocket areas, I also have shorts where the pocket goes right to the bottom of the leg, if you wanted to pick my pocket you would be up to your elbow and I may just may notice that as ai walk along with a little guy s arm stuck in my shorts.

I also had the wifes handbag strap under sewn with a kevlar strip, why well there have been slash and run handbag episodes, so if they try they would find a cut resistent finish that would cause them to have to re think the idea,

James

I like the kevlar onthe handbag idea. :kidding:

This is going to sound cruel to some of you but if you catch a thief with his hand in your pocket, then break it (or at least give it a good twist). These clowns will just walk away from you laughing if they get caught & you do nothing. Thus the kleptomania culture that exists here.

The old favorite amongst kids here is to surround you & start poking you all at once, while one of them goes for the pockets. If you will observe this sometime, you will see an adult somewhere off to the side controlling these kids.

I once smacked a young boy (around 8-yrs. old) upside the head with my thick notebook while on the way to school. Him & his very little sister tried this scam, but once I felt his hand on my cell phone it was time for a lesson in street survival. I then walked over to the woman controlling these street urchins & chewed on her arse for awhile. Later on, on my way back home after school, they were no where to be seen. Might sound cruel, but what was even more cruel, was an adult turning these kids into criminals.

Just make sure you're ready to confront an armed back-up.

Thee had been reports of people being stabbed chasing after pickpockets/ snatchers.

Just make sure you're ready to confront an armed back-up.

Thee had been reports of people being stabbed chasing after pickpockets/ snatchers.

Very true...but the alternative is to just give in/up to the thieves & cower in fear where ever one may go. :kidding:

Crewsafe is right and its not a nice alternative, but we also have a responsibility to carry as little as possible, protect what we have and to prevent opportunity for crime against us by taking some measures to secure our belongings whilst out,

James

I remember years ago when I worked in London it was a nightmare just walking down Oxford Street right in the heart of London. There was so many Eastern European kids from Romania and the like that would be trained in the art of pick pocketing that you literally had to have eyes in the back of your head. My girlfriend at the time ended up slapping one girl so hard when she saw her hand in her handbag that I thought she knocked her out. I then had to pin her brother to the wall as he was kicking and screaming and he was only about 12 yrs old. Thankfully the police were not too far away.

I remember years ago when I worked in London it was a nightmare just walking down Oxford Street right in the heart of London. There was so many Eastern European kids from Romania and the like that would be trained in the art of pick pocketing that you literally had to have eyes in the back of your head. My girlfriend at the time ended up slapping one girl so hard when she saw her hand in her handbag that I thought she knocked her out. I then had to pin her brother to the wall as he was kicking and screaming and he was only about 12 yrs old. Thankfully the police were not too far away.

There you go..."street justice." :lmao:

I also make it a point these days of carrying a dummy wallet. Fill it with the credit cards that banks send you when they want you to apply for their cards and fill it with russian reubles or some other useless currency. It should give you a enough time to either make your get away or to distract them long enough to hit them!!!