Horderves Anyone?

Bob Ward

Here are 2 Hor's Doeuvres or snacks that will choke the faint of heart and be despised by 98% of Filipinos. But they are some of my favorites.

Buy a can of colossal/jumbo pitted black olives and some good bleu cheese. Crumble the bleu cheese and stuff it into the olives. The acid from the olives neutralizes and softens the sharpness of the stronger taste of the bleu cheeses and makes for a great flavor. I've had many who said Yuk upon hearing the idea and now they are hooked on them.

The other is actually a bit stranger but it's great. Take a Ritz cracker (Fila here) and dab your favorite peanut butter on it. Then add a slice of fresh jalapeno to taste. Now cover it all with a dab of fresh honey and eat immediately. The flavors will drive your taste buds wild and the pepper will not be hot in that combination of ingredients.

No I am not smoking anything unusual!

kingfisher
Here are 2 Hor's Doeuvres or snacks that will choke the faint of heart and be despised by 98% of Filipinos. But they are some of my favorites.

Buy a can of colossal/jumbo pitted black olives and some good bleu cheese. Crumble the bleu cheese and stuff it into the olives. The acid from the olives neutralizes and softens the sharpness of the stronger taste of the bleu cheeses and makes for a great flavor. I've had many who said Yuk upon hearing the idea and now they are hooked on them.

The other is actually a bit stranger but it's great. Take a Ritz cracker (Fila here) and dab your favorite peanut butter on it. Then add a slice of fresh jalapeno to taste. Now cover it all with a dab of fresh honey and eat immediately. The flavors will drive your taste buds wild and the pepper will not be hot in that combination of ingredients.

Nothing YUKKY about it! :rolleyes: I eat olives and blue cheese quite often with wine. Another addition to this would be apple. Also try your peanut butter crackers with some mild cheese! nice!

Bob Ward
Nothing YUKKY about it! :rolleyes: I eat olives and blue cheese quite often with wine. Another addition to this would be apple. Also try your peanut butter crackers with some mild cheese! nice!

Cool, an educated palate!

About different flavors neutralizing or enhancing each other.

Whenever I get a drink outside, and they serve it with lemon or lime, I eat the whole thing. Peel and everything. Since the peel is bitter, it neutralizes some of the sourness of the lemon/lime. If your belly is not up for it, squize out some of the juice first, makes it even more gentle to eat.

It tastes nice and gives you a fresh breath!

Mmmmm making me hungry! :as-if:

That English cheese named Stilton (spelling?) with garlic stuffed green olives. I know my wife loves me because she still accepts a kiss after I eat it! Life is good!

Hey Torestre, what about Lutefisk?

Mmmmm making me hungry! :as-if:

That English cheese named Stilton (spelling?) with garlic stuffed green olives. I know my wife loves me because she still accepts a kiss after I eat it! Life is good!

Hey Torestre, what about Lutefisk?

I dont eat it. It looks terrible and soaking your food in lut (lye) is just not my way of cooking. My relatives, especially the older ones, love it though.

Actually they don't sound that odd to me. I'll give them a try.

You're right I don't think many Filipino's like Olives or Blue Cheese, it's our equivalent of Balut.

Bob Ward
Actually they don't sound that odd to me. I'll give them a try.

You're right I don't think many Filipino's like Olives or Blue Cheese, it's our equivalent of Balut.

I have eaten a balut and they were not that bad. Not my favorite but totally accedptable. Funny thing, I saw a guy riding a bike in the neighborhood with a sign that said Balot. It's similar to the sign down the street that reads Wilding Shop! I am a bad speller as well.

CaptainJackson
I saw a guy riding a bike in the neighborhood with a sign that said Balot.

John,

Maybe the guy wanted to sell his vote. :crack-up:

I'm not a fan of olives at all, but I think that i will try the second one. Sounds good.

tom_shor

Where did you get the black olives? Or did you bring your own.

I have to admit when I read the first foyr words I thought you spelled it wrong and put it in the wrong thread. But then I read on. After my inital disappointment about the topic it sounds pretty good.

Bob Ward

I have to admit when I read the first foyr words I thought you spelled it wrong and put it in the wrong thread. But then I read on. After my inital disappointment about the topic it sounds pretty good.

Lindsey black olives are available at Ayala. There is bleu cheese there as well but SM has a much bigger selection of cheese.

Lindsey black olives are available at Ayala. There is bleu cheese there as well but SM has a much bigger selection of cheese.