Sign in to follow this  
T.S.

Lingo VOIP

T.S.

I have had a Lingo VOIP router hooked up to the DSL at my inlaws home in Cebu since last December so they have a local U.S. phone number. Lingo finally called me today and threatened to terminate the account unless I upgrade it from the $21.95/month "residential" account to a $49.95/month "business" account with no more unlimited calling to western europe. :(

I did told them to go ahead with the account upgrade, but I might call back and terminate it. My wife and I were kinda looking for an excuse to get rid of it anyway. Her sisters get the most use out of it and seem very unappreciative. Their american boyfriends can set up a new one if they want. ;)

Edited by T.S.

deanash

I use Skype to make VOIP calls all over the world. The sound quality is better than making a local call and the cost is ZERO. Just download the free Skype program and be sure the person you are calling is also using Skype.

T.S.
I use Skype to make VOIP calls all over the world. The sound quality is better than making a local call and the cost is ZERO. Just download the free Skype program and be sure the person you are calling is also using Skype.
Having to make calls from a computer and only being able to call other people that happen to be sitting at their computer with Skype installed and running sucks. Calling cards are cheaper than "Skype out" and I don't need to be talking in to my computer mic or buy a special USB phone and have a computer running at the same time. There is a big difference between software VOIP like Skype and hardware VOIP like Lingo, Vonage, or Packet8. They are not even comparable in my opinion. :rolleyes: Edited by T.S.

ckfm

Our phone bills are quite low if we stay disciplined in using calling cards from both residential lines and cell phones back home and here. I agree with T.S. Relatives other than mom and dad are not very appreciative. My wife is stricter than me. She is always telling me that they won't appreciate it and she is usually right.

Paul

I have been using Packet 8 for some time now, March of 05, I believe. I have not had a problem using it, ever, in any country I have been in since living in the Philippines. My adapter is currently in the land of Oz, but I will fetch it on my next trip back there, this or next month.

I was so impressed by Packet 8's service, I became an affiliate as well.

pat
I use Skype to make VOIP calls all over the world. The sound quality is better than making a local call and the cost is ZERO.

Another benefit of Skype is $0.066 SMS (text messaging) to the Philippines.

I think this justifies its own topic.