Made in USA,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,again!

Mr. Mike

Mr. Mike

With the stagnant state of the US economy, historic unemployment, and an "Administration" that is hopeless, it is time for the US business sector to bring the manufacturing jobs back home. Washington should provide the necessary incentives to do so, and the American consumer will have to suck up any increased costs that may result. If I have to pay a few $$$ more for goods, so be it!

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Cipro

• Mr. Mike

• Jess Bartone

• Smitty

lazydays

No experience of current USA,but even if your costs went up 20%,it would still be way cheaper than the UK.

Cipro

Wages in China are going up rapidly, so there is increased pressure to use labor from other markets and the potential to sell brand names into China in the near future.

Mr. Mike

Exactly Loctite, maybe the low cost manufacturing "honeymoon" is starting to ease a bit! I am not an economist, but I would much rather spend $2.00 more for a $10.00 Made in USA item, and know my neighborhood will be safe from multiple foreclosures due to the lack of jobs! It is getting more expensive for a companies to manufacture off-shore. ....Even Chinese peasant laborers are starting to smell the coffee, and are seeking a better standard of living. There is a cost attached to that.

Edited by Mr. Mike

Now that everybody is in debt, who is going to fork over the extra cash to make this happen? People are used to cheap crap. They won't or can't pay extra for stuff that is equally as crap, crappier, or better. Forget about the cost of labour, how much would it cost just to move production and setup factories to make this work? This will either be passed on to consumers in the price of goods purchased or to the taxpayer via incentives to firms who actually do this.

Why also does the US (and Canada) allow Korean made cars into North America with such little tarrifs, but the reverse is not true? Meanwhile US military power is what is keeping their portion of the peninsula from being overrun by communists and from life straight out of the pages of 1984. fecking boggles my mind....

Mr. Mike

Now that everybody is in debt, who is going to fork over the extra cash to make this happen? People are used to cheap crap. They won't or can't pay extra for stuff that is equally as crap, crappier, or better. Forget about the cost of labour, how much would it cost just to move production and setup factories to make this work? This will either be passed on to consumers in the price of goods purchased or to the taxpayer via incentives to firms who actually do this.

Why also does the US (and Canada) allow Korean made cars into North America with such little tariffs, but the reverse is not true? Meanwhile US military power is what is keeping their portion of the peninsula from being overrun by communists and from life straight out of the pages of 1984. fecking boggles my mind....

The US corporations, especially the BANKS are flush with money,,,,remember the bailout! There are factories/manufacturing facilities in the US sitting idle! Proud, hard working, skilled people are begging for jobs. Detroit is a freaking wasteland,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,BTW, at one time, Detroit was the most affluent city is the US. Bring back the jobs, suspend the existence/ formation of unions, for ten years. Let's see what happens.

BTW, our 35,000 (or so) military personnel in South Korea are but a token force,,,,,,,,if the balloon goes up, it will be ugly!

Edited by Mr. Mike

The US corporations, especially the BANKS are flush with money,,,,remember the bailout!

And therein lies the real problem. Wealth has not left the US, its just been consolidated. Good luck prying that wealth back out of their hands. They have the real power because they are already wealthy. Not that it can't be done, but people will need to sacrifice to do so. Do you believe the spirit of 76 still lingers in the hearts and minds of MOST Americans?In other words, how far are regular citizens willing to go. My bet is at this point not far, and therefore nothing will change.

There are factories/manufacturing facilities in the US sitting idle! Proud, hard working, skilled people are begging for jobs. Detroit is a freaking wasteland,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,BTW, at one time, Detroit was the most affluent city is the US. Bring back the jobs, suspend the formation of unions, for ten years. Let's see what happens.

Detroit was indeed the most affluent city in the US. So what? Holding on to past glories is exactly what got that city to where it is now. Same with the big 3, only Ford seemed to get it with time running out in the 4th quarter. I also don't agree with suspending Unions, maybe curtail some of their powers, but banning them out right is wrong. Unions have done a lot of good for labour in the western world, and basically created the middle class that the US enjoyed in the 1950-80s and while I agree they have gotten out of hand, eliminating them will send us down the wrong path.

BTW, our 35,000 (or so) military personnel in South Korea are but a token force,,,,,,,,if the balloon goes up, it would be ugly!

Considering 35,000 is close to HALF of many other nations active standing force, how much does this cost US taxpayers? And what is the return? Hyundai, KIA, Samsung and LG products that are cheaper than American equivalents? (if such a thing even exists anymore in some instances). Seriously, there's 35,000 troops protecting a nation's sovereignty and that nation turns around and taxes the hell out of products originating from the protector. Not a fair deal in my mind.

shadow

suspend the existence/ formation of unions,

What? Suspend the unions? Surely you agree that every union person sweeping the floor should be earning $25/hour, getting full medical and dental benefits, and have a company car, while his non union neighbor slaves away for $10/hr, can't afford health insurance, and drives a beat up jalopy!

When I was young my Father repeated to me many times that one day the unions would break America, and that China would rule the world. I didn't believe him.

Larry in Dumaguete

billy

it's a FN joke we should have the same tax as the opposing country when buying or selling goods. make it an even playing field.... lets get are soldiers out of all these countries. if they want to kill each other let them. to many people in this world anyways... lets mind our own business, instead of putting our nose into everybodys business.... lets stop sending our money to all these countries we don't have any more money where broke minus zero........ any ways i'm glad not to live in the u s anymore it's giving me a headache.......

What? Suspend the unions? Surely you agree that every union person sweeping the floor should be earning $25/hour, getting full medical and dental benefits, and have a company car, while his non union neighbor slaves away for $10/hr, can't afford health insurance, and drives a beat up jalopy!

When I was young my Father repeated to me many times that one day the unions would break America, and that China would rule the world. I didn't believe him.

Larry in Dumaguete

Don't you think the man slaving at 10 bucks an hour should have medical and dental coverage? Or does that only belong to some? I agree that Unions stepped their bounds, but they are not useless or completely redundant, unless you want EVERYONE to be slaving for 1 dollar an hour if they are lucky. Just look at the Filipino labour force for an example of how cruel things can be. But if you think that all business people in the US are benevolent to give a fair wage for equal work, then maybe you have a point.

Mr. Mike

And therein lies the real problem. Wealth has not left the US, its just been consolidated. Good luck prying that wealth back out of their hands. They have the real power because they are already wealthy. Not that it can't be done, but people will need to sacrifice to do so. Do you believe the spirit of 76 still lingers in the hearts and minds of MOST Americans?In other words, how far are regular citizens willing to go. My bet is at this point not far, and therefore nothing will change.

Detroit was indeed the most affluent city in the US. So what? Holding on to past glories is exactly what got that city to where it is now. Same with the big 3, only Ford seemed to get it with time running out in the 4th quarter. I also don't agree with suspending Unions, maybe curtail some of their powers, but banning them out right is wrong. Unions have done a lot of good for labour in the western world, and basically created the middle class that the US enjoyed in the 1950-80s and while I agree they have gotten out of hand, eliminating them will send us down the wrong path.

Considering 35,000 is close to HALF of many other nations active standing force, how much does this cost US taxpayers? And what is the return? Hyundai, KIA, Samsung and LG products that are cheaper than American equivalents? (if such a thing even exists anymore in some instances). Seriously, there's 35,000 troops protecting a nation's sovereignty and that nation turns around and taxes the hell out of products originating from the protector. Not a fair deal in my mind.

You are correct, and I agree in many ways!.............it's late , and I will try to respond more tomorrow!............the spirit of 1776 still remains my friend. You might be amazed! We have many issues, no excuse, but WE will handle them.

Mr. Mike

Larry in Dumaguete

I agree sir!

The more you know, the more you are paid! DUH....... and the more marketable your skills, the more you are paid! Duh!... Union's have fragmented US labor!...............

..to our demise.

Edited by Mr. Mike
RogerDuMond

I agree sir!

The more you know, the more you are paid! DUH....... and the more marketable your skills, the more you are paid! Duh!... Union's have fragmented US labor!...............

..to our demise.

Labor unions priced many companies out of manufacturing products in the US.

You are correct, and I agree in many ways!.............it's late , and I will try to respond more tomorrow!............the spirit of 1776 still remains my friend. You might be amazed! We have many issues, no excuse, but WE will handle them.

I'm not American, so I admit I cannot fully say what is really happening in the US, but I can give my beliefs...and I do hope you are right that the citizens of the US wake up and see whats going on. But it is my belief that too few have the spirit to rise up. And I'm not even talking about raising arms, or even just buying US products. People are just too freaking swamped with keeping their heads above water to care about anything else, yet at the same time they aren't starved enough to be forced to rise up. Its like frogs in the pot. What must be remembered is that it was the colonial elite that started the American revolution, the peasants were just able to be bought into it. But I don't think the US is far gone enough to have to revolt. The US government just needs some sort of real engagement from the REAL citizens of the USA. Plus the 2 party dictatorship needs to go. Here in Canada in the past 15 years we had the Progressive Conservatives (Republican clone) and the Liberals (the Democrat clone) basically destroyed. Sure they've been replaced somewhat with their own clones, but it sure does send a message to them that they can't just f* around. I hope the US follows that one day soon.

• Admin (Retired)
broden

the biggest problem the US faces is more and more people seeing it as ok, if not preferred, to make their living on government handouts and or wealth redistribution.

once a people looks to the government to supply them with the necessities of day to day life you can pretty much forget out the spirit of 76