Sign in to follow this  
SkyMan

Weiner Qualifies for Taxpayer-funded Pension Payout of over $1 Million, Despite Early End to Congressional Career

SkyMan

NTU Press

(Alexandria, VA)

mpt1947

Does that NTU site list all House and Senate Representatives?

I would like to see what some of the other politicians that have had to resign lately due to their illicit behavior are costing us - maybe we can suggest legislation that if a Congress person is convicted of a crime - any crime, that they forfeit all or part of their benefits - why should tax payers have to foot the bill for people who have broken the law?

Maybe such a penalty would encourage lawmakers to walk the straight and narrow, at least while they are on the public payroll

PS - I went back and read your article in more detail and see that the NTU is also proposing legislation that would go after Congress members and other public figures that are convicted of a crime.

Edited by mpt1947

Mr. Mike

If I remember my history, the founding fathers never intended or envisioned the representative positions in Washington to be full time jobs. Now granted times have changed, but now it is looked upon as a career with generous perks, privileges, offices, huge staffs......... and with outrageous retirement benefits

It is wrong on so many levels, and the average American has (through self-imposed ignorance) no clue!

Needless to say if one brings disgrace to their elected position, they should lose everything and be shown the door.

InternetTough

To be a devil's advocate, the rich would prefer that all positions in Congress were non-paid, so that only the rich could get elected. Even better, they'd prefer that you had to pay to serve as a member. It is a bit like paying police officers well and providing them a good early pension that they could lose for misconduct---it helps their honesty.

Pondo

Of course, Weiner never committed a crime... politicians have refused to resign over much bigger deals.

Although I imagine it's hard to do your job when the media decides that a politician "pulling a Brett Favre"

is more important than what's going on in Yemen.

That being said, that is one crazy (taxpayer funded) retirement package.

Mandingo

Thats a pretty good gig to have. Work a few years, get fired and have the taxpayers give you a big pension and free health care the rest of your life.

Mr. Mike

To be a devil's advocate, the rich would prefer that all positions in Congress were non-paid, so that only the rich could get elected. Even better, they'd prefer that you had to pay to serve as a member. It is a bit like paying police officers well and providing them a good early pension that they could lose for misconduct---it helps their honesty.

Well sir, I have never heard that take on it. Care to take your opinion a little further?

fanboat

Thats a pretty good gig to have. Work a few years, get fired and have the taxpayers give you a big pension and free health care the rest of your life.

Good Point SF,

Most common folk have to put in 20 years or so....now a days seems you get layed off before you qualify for a pension.

Mom worked as a high school teacher for 28 years and now gets $24,000 a year pension :P

Headshot

why should tax payers have to foot the bill for people who have broken the law?

I agree. Let's shut down all of the prisons and bring back lynching or a bullet in the head for major crimes and flogging for minor crimes. I'm tired of having to foot the bill for all of those people who have broken the law. We might as well put the executions on pay-per-view and make some money. Maybe it will pay for the ropes and bullets.

:rofl: :lee_popcorn: :lee_popcorn: :lee_popcorn: :lee_popcorn: :lee_popcorn: :broden::killself:

Oh...never mind. I guess that would never pass Congress.

Edited by Headshot

mpt1947

I agree. Let's shut down all of the prisons and bring back lynching or a bullet in the head for major crimes and flogging for minor crimes. I'm tired of having to foot the bill for all of those people who have broken the law. We might as well put the executions on pay-per-view and make some money. Maybe it will pay for the ropes and bullets.

:lol: :lee_popcorn: :lee_popcorn: :lee_popcorn: :lee_popcorn: :lee_popcorn: :broden::killself:

You know your attitude seems a little different on a wide range of topics, since your return from the USA - did you drink the water over there?

broden

:lol: :lee_popcorn: :lee_popcorn: :lee_popcorn: :lee_popcorn: :lee_popcorn: :broden::killself:

no-need-for-a-lynch-mob_married.gif

mpt1947

Well sir, I have never heard that take on it. Care to take your opinion a little further?

I don't know if there is an organization that promotes such a plan, but if you look at the make up of most of Congress on both sides of the Aisle, I think you will find the vast majority come from money making backgrounds and really don't need the salaries of Gov't employees

For myself, I would like to see some basic changes in Congressional Terms, Limits, Spending Max's on Campaigns.

For starters I would like to see the Term in the House be increased to at least Three Years, if not Four. With a Max of 16 yrs (Four Terms). The Senate can stay the same but impose a Term Limit of 18 yrs on them (3 Terms). May be the President (I am not enthusiastic about this) One Term of Six Years. The Supreme Court nomination and conformation process would stay the same - but how about a limit of say 20-25 yrs?

We already pay for the staff and office space of each member of Congress, how about we pay for their housing - maybe Room and Board - Take a building like the Watergate in Washington DC and turn it into a dormitory. Each member of Congress would get an apartment, size would be dependent on number of family members joining the Member and their position in either the Senate or House - Leaders would have better accommodations then junior members.

Transportation - Tax Payers would pay for trips to and from their districts or States - Tourist Class - If a Member wants to upgrade they can pay out of Pocket - again Speaker of the House being third in line, would be allowed military transport, everyone else Commercial.

Campaigns for the House of Representatives could be staggered - like the Senate and with a longer term they would work at least 18 months before they are out there fund raising again - if we had a limit on how much each could spend - say 5 Million for the House, 10 Million for the Senate and 20 Million for the President it would mean no candidate would have a monetary advantage over the other - I don't care if the money comes from the Grassroots, or all of it from Corporate donations - but you can't spend more than what is allowed in your Office Category. Excess Funds could go to Party Coffers to be spent by Candidates that couldn't raise the maximums, could be used by Parties for State Elections, be returned to the donors - or how about this - Given to the Treasury to pay down the Debt.

Not a perfect plan, but maybe a start

Sinbad
]NTU Press

If Weiner has invested the maximum allowable amount since he became eligible' date=' and [b'](if he) [/b]has placed his investments in the plan

Mr. Mike

I don't know if there is an organization that promotes such a plan, but if you look at the make up of most of Congress on both sides of the Aisle, I think you will find the vast majority come from money making backgrounds and really don't need the salaries of Govt employees

For myself, I would like to see some basic changes in Congressional Terms, Limits, Spending Max's on Campaigns.

For starters I would like to see the Term in the House be increased to at least Three Years, if not Four. With a Max of 16 yrs (Four Terms). The Senate can stay the same but impose a Term Limit of 18 yrs on them (3 Terms). May be the President (I am not enthusiastic about this) One Term of Six Years. The Supreme Court nomination and conformation process would stay the same - but how about a limit of say 20-25 yrs?

We already pay for the staff and office space of each member of Congress, how about we pay for their housing - maybe Room and Board - Take a building like the Watergate in Washington DC and turn it into a dormitory. Each member of Congress would get an apartment, size would be dependent on number of family members joining the Member and their position in either the Senate or House - Leaders would have better accommodations then junior members.

Transportation - Tax Payers would pay for trips to and from their districts or States - Tourist Class - If a Member wants to upgrade they can pay out of Pocket - again Speaker of the House being third in line, would be allowed military transport, everyone else Commercial.

Campaigns for the House of Representatives could be staggered - like the Senate and with a longer term they would work at least 18 months before they are out there fund raising again - if we had a limit on how much each could spend - say 5 Million for the House, 10 Million for the Senate and 20 Million for the President it would mean no candidate would have a monetary advantage over the other - I don't care if the money comes from the Grassroots, or all of it from Corporate donations - but you can't spend more than what is allowed in your Office Category. Excess Funds could go to Party Coffers to be spent by Candidates that couldn't raise the maximums, could be used by Parties for State Elections, be returned to the donors - or how about this - Given to the Treasury to pay down the Debt.

Not a perfect plan, but maybe a start

Well Mike, I can't say I disagree with anything you propose. :lol: Career politicians sour my stomach.

Cary

AGREED. Wont happen but I agree Mike

If I remember my history, the founding fathers never intended or envisioned the representative positions in Washington to be full time jobs. Now granted times have changed, but now it is looked upon as a career with generous perks, privileges, offices, huge staffs......... and with outrageous retirement benefits

It is wrong on so many levels, and the average American has (through self-imposed ignorance) no clue!

Needless to say if one brings disgrace to their elected position, they should lose everything and be shown the door.