Teaching english....

easy44

I know an English teacher here in Winland Towers that teaches at the Korean school. She makes P15,000 per month. She also does some online teaching and gets paid 250p per hour.

I would guess she is Filipino? Native English speakers make a lot more. My English friend was making P50k per month while Filipino teachers in the same school were making much less.

TheMatrix

I would guess she is Filipino? Native English speakers make a lot more. My English friend was making P50k per month while Filipino teachers in the same school were making much less.

Yes, she's a Filipino. (But, would they replace her with someone needing P50k per month?) I don't know.

easy44

Yes, she's a Filipino. (But, would they replace her with someone needing P50k per month?) I don't know.

No they wouldn't replace her. All the schools have both Filipino and native English speaking foreigners, but the native speakers give the school more credibility and are paid more accordingly. I certainly wouldn't want to learn English from a Filipino who learned English in school here, but then again Koreans who don't speak the language wouldn't know the difference.

justice14

Most of the responses have covered this topic pretty well......the jobs are rare and hard to come by....ur not really going to get far in your search electronically (info. and response), and the best bet is being on the ground, and showing up in person.

I could elaborate.....contacted close to 100 schools, unis, institutes, and centers a couple years back....but like I said, the basic summary has been outlined in other posts.

With that being said...............I received an e-mail this week from the manager of an institute in Cebu ( I had contacted him about 1.5 yrs. back, and he kept my info. on file)...........he said he was looking for 4 native English speakers to add to his staff. Told him I was not looking to do that anymore, but I knew a place I might could get a response for him.

Not going to list the school or e-mail on here (not sure if it's advertising or spam), and I know I'm unable to do PM right now..........but if any of you guys are interested, or still looking........I'm sure one of the Admins could get you my e-mail address, and I'd be happy to pass along the information.

udonthani

planes leave from Manila for Hanoi and Ho Chi Minh city every day. Pay is around the $15 an hour mark. This is what a Canadian guy I met in December did, who had been working in Taiwan before he got thrown out of the country for overstaying. Washing up in the Philippines, he quickly realised there was nothing happening for him work-wise, and after having a p*ssy fest in Cebu city for a couple of weeks, moved on. He sorted a job out in a Mandaue internet cafe, they picked him up at HCM airport, drove him 80km to the hicksville town where the school was and he got started next day.

InternetTough

I wonder if there is a lot of seasonal work when the Korean kids have their winter and summer vacations? That might be about two months of good work a year---helpful for the budget.

Quite a few of my students head down to Cebu for vacation---it seems more and more each year.

hey joe

I wonder if there is a lot of seasonal work when the Korean kids have their winter and summer vacations? That might be about two months of good work a year---helpful for the budget.

Quite a few of my students head down to Cebu for vacation---it seems more and more each year.

There IS work if you are willing to teach them for basically peanuts (100 to 200 pesos per hour or less in many cases) which is what the Korean students expect to pay in the Philippines for face-to-face teaching. My response to such a proposal would be to ask them if they would be willing to teach me Korean for the same wages, and I bet that I would not have many takers..............just my two cents worth. :P

hehhe funny thing is, filipino english has some confusing parts when i hear it. like, they say she when they mean he and vice versa. always throws me that one because i think who are they talking about now.

teaching is paid by satisfaction not monetary value.

Davolives

hehhe funny thing is, filipino english has some confusing parts when i hear it. like, they say she when they mean he and vice versa. always throws me that one because i think who are they talking about now.

teaching is paid by satisfaction not monetary value.

I agree ! however when i told my landlord that he told me he needed more satisfaction !

I work at AITIN as head teacher, we have an immediate opportunity for two temporary, part or full time Native speakers. This would be a chance to get your feet wet without a long term commitment. you could work half or full days one or two months. I hope this is not construed as a breaking of the forum rules, but some of you may have been considering teaching English as a sideline, so here is a chance. No experienced required, but you should be outgoing, willing to work with all ages, 1 on 1 or small group classes. Salary is according to experience please inquire. contact:

Ronnie Intong: 09202146143 HR head.

This is an emergency situation for us as we had a cancellation at the last minute.

John

This is in Mactan Punta Engano, Cebu.Near the Hilton

Edited by redboy
InternetTough

I work at AITIN as head teacher, we have an immediate opportunity for two temporary, part or full time Native speakers. This would be a chance to get your feet wet without a long term commitment. you could work half or full days one or two months. I hope this is not construed as a breaking of the forum rules, but some of you may have been considering teaching English as a sideline, so here is a chance. No experienced required, but you should be outgoing, willing to work with all ages, 1 on 1 or small group classes. Salary is according to experience please inquire. contact:

Ronnie Intong: 09202146143 HR head.

This is an emergency situation for us as we had a cancellation at the last minute.

John

This is in Mactan Punta Engano, Cebu.Near the Hilton

I am in South Korea teaching on a year-long contract right now, so I can't apply, but what sort of salary range is possible? A very rough idea is only what I am looking for.

I am in South Korea teaching on a year-long contract right now, so I can't apply, but what sort of salary range is possible? A very rough idea is only what I am looking for.

Well since you can't apply I won't give out our offer online. But generally in Cebu, if you are a native speaker you can expect to start from 30,000 to 40,000 Pesos per month.Experienced teachers can get 50,000+. This is not our offer just a range of salaries I have experienced in 4 years teaching here. if anyone is interested please call the number in my original text for details.

• 1 month later...
biennseance

Try your luck teaching Japanese students. I have been working as an ESL instructor in Manila for Japanese students and I find it much better to teach them.<div>I know that some English language schools for Japanese are increasing in Cebu and Japanese students have high respect towards their teachers.<div>If you're a native English speaker, have teaching experience, having patience and hardworking then you could expect a high paid hourly rate.

For Native English teachers from P450 an hour to P800 an hour.

I'm a Filipina and I started to earn P250 an hour for few months then now my asking rate is P450 plus transportation allowance.

Though, I just don't teach nonsense conversation lessons cos I make sure I provide quality teaching and I make sure my students improve with their English communication skills and that's a tip on how I could maintain my students.

Good luck!

I taught in an off line classes for Koreans way back 2009, as I know native speakers are being paid 40,000 pesos monthly with free apartment and insurance.It seems not really big amount for some native but a lot now tried this kind of job:)

An ESL teacher friend of mine who had worked in SKorea, and Qatar was here for several months after his contract in Qatar ran out. He thought about teaching here but didn't feel the pay was worth his effort. He spent his time here looking for a job in the Middle East and is now teaching in Saudi.

Old buddy of mine just began at a new high profile Saudi science university this week. Will have four hours a day teaching duties and receives an apartment. He's pretty tickled that it's a sweet gig. He says he making $50k, and he plans to bank most of it this year. He has a degree in English and did know the Director (from UK) previously from working together in an Saudi English language newspaper. I remember in the '80s when highly qualified (masters in linguistics) ESL teachers in Japan were making upwards of six figures US -- again, that was in the '80s, in Japan's go-go years, but Lord that was a load of money then. Expenses were high, but many used to bank lots of dough, then travel for years on it.

Edited by Willie