Teaching english....

Greatyear1966

Well, can one get paid here teaching english classes or what are the chances of picking up a few students for tudoring a couple hours a week privately? Would there be any

college students that would want to take lessons? :P Just curious as to to what kind of demand to expect, if any...

InternetTough

I am really curious to hear the answer to your question! I teach English in South Korea and have done so for eleven years now. If I knew that teaching English on Cebu was a solid thing, I might give up my job and move to the Philippines as soon as my current contract runs out. I have asked about ESL opportunities on Cebu before, but I have never received an answer. Good luck!

Greatyear1966

You & I should hear from the pros down in Cebu :P It is odd though for how much one hears of teaching in Korea or Thailand and nothing said about it in the Phill...

johnormoc

Your best bet IMO would be to try and land a job at a Korean Hagwon (language school). There are many of these throughout the Phils with the biggest concentrations in Manila, Angeles City and Cebu. Although there is no shortage of English speaking Filipinos, Koreans generally have very low regard for the locals and prefer Caucasian native English speakers. (Don't shoot the messenger). Going overseas to study English is a big status thing for Koreans. Their preference is the US, Canada, Australia or other Western countries but not all can afford that so many go to the Philippines.

One of my best friends is currently working for a Hagwon in Angeles City. He started at P200 an hour for a 3 month trial period but now makes P600 an hour which is a fantastic salary for the Philippines. The good salary is due to him being fluent in Korean though. I believe the other teachers there make between P300-P550 an hour depending on their qualifications and experience. He works 40 hours a week and is living a pretty good life in AC. He tells me every teacher at his Hagwon is a foreigner; most being retired US military guys.

ancienrocka

I have attached a list someone sent me of some of the English Language Schools In Cebu.

I have no idea how current the information is but hope it helps.

Paul

English Language Schools.docx

Greatyear1966

I have attached a list someone sent me of some of the English Language Schools In Cebu.

I have no idea how current the information is but hope it helps.

Paul

:P Thank you guys! Paul this might get me down there sooner then I thought I would be able to.

goggleye

My experience is you would make about 300 pesos an hour. The biggest demand is in June through August when students from Korea are on summer break. Work is available if you are qualified. Koreans like to hire you to brag they have native speakers teaching. I will be in Cebu in July doing the practice teaching for my Tesol Certification. I tried applying online from the US but with little result - you have to go show up in person. Not a gold mine lol i am using it for experience for my resume. Good luck!

SkyMan

An ESL teacher friend of mine who had worked in SKorea, and Qatar was here for several months after his contract in Qatar ran out. He thought about teaching here but didn't feel the pay was worth his effort. He spent his time here looking for a job in the Middle East and is now teaching in Saudi.

TheMatrix

Unless you're willing to work for $5 per day, there won't be much opportunity for you. You see, you are competing with the Filipinos for those jobs. Yes, there are college educated, English speaking teachers making five bucks a day.

I'm not saying that there is absolutely no opportunity to make more money teaching English, but those jobs would be rare and hard to find.

goggleye

three of the teachers where i taught had nursing degrees

USMC-Retired

I taught English when I first moved to the Philippines. I was paid 7 dollars an hour and paid only when I taught. I was there 60 hours a week and taught about 32. I had to be there for those other hours. Each school in the Philippines has one native English speaker on staff. The jobs are rare and hard to find. Visa a work permits are the biggest problem for schools. Most do just tourist visas for workers. Illegal.

Not the best job in the world. Getting on with online teaching is more lucrative. Then teaching in a school.

• 2 weeks later...

It is possible to teach English online here (self-employed or through employment at a non-Philippine online school specializing in this) and to just have the pay sent to your foreign bank account through Paypal. Philippine-based schools, online or face-to-face, don't pay much more than $3 to $5 per hour, and I wouldn't even bother to get out of bed in the morning for that measly amount of pay. Good luck to you, and don't give up until you've thoroughly checked out the English teaching opportunities (non-Philippine-based, of course) on the internet. :)

Edited by hey joe
John B

Another great possibility (one I wish I were qualified for) is becoming certified to administer the oral and written english language test for esl for the cambridge school. I know one person who does that here. Makes very good mone4y and only works one weekend a month. If one wanted to the tests are offered in Cebu, Davau and Bacolod for sure. Check the web sites/ There is a list of every test date in every city it is offered in, in the Philippines.

Difficult to become certified but lucrative after certification.

Headshot

Unless you're willing to work for $5 per day, there won't be much opportunity for you. You see, you are competing with the Filipinos for those jobs. Yes, there are college educated, English speaking teachers making five bucks a day.

I'm not saying that there is absolutely no opportunity to make more money teaching English, but those jobs would be rare and hard to find.

My wife taught English to Korean students for a year at about $12 per day. I'm guessing that is pretty normal.

TheMatrix

I know an English teacher here in Winland Towers that teaches at the Korean school. She makes P15,000 per month. She also does some online teaching and gets paid 250p per hour.