Sign in to follow this  
Headshot

51% Don't Pay Taxes

Headshot
"As President Barack Obama pushes to raise income taxes on high earners, opponents are seizing on data that indicates these U.S. households already pay a large and growing share of taxes, even compared with high-tax European countries. And a new congressional study concludes that the percentage of U.S. households owing no federal income tax climbed to 51% for 2009.

Upper-income taxpayers have paid a growing share of the federal tax burden over the last 25 years.

A 2008 study by the Organization for Economic Cooperation and Development, for example, found that the highest-earning 10% of the U.S. population paid the largest share among 24 countries examined, even after adjusting for their relatively higher incomes. "Taxation is most progressively distributed in the United States," the OECD study concluded.

Meanwhile, the percentage of U.S. households paying no federal income tax has been climbing, and reached 51% for 2009, according to a new analysis by the Joint Committee on Taxation. That was the first time since at least 1992 that more than half of households owed no federal income tax, according to JCT estimates.; earlier data were unavailable on Monday."

I find it amazing that 51% of US citizens are paying NO federal Income taxes. It is no wonder the country is struggling to stay afloat. It is really hard to say that taxes should be raised on the top 1% of earners (even if you could prove that none of them are paying taxes) unless you also go after the other 50% that aren't paying taxes as well. To me, if you want to be a US citizen, you should be paying your share...nothing less and nothing more. I would love to see a straight 10% income tax, no deductions, no exemptions, no nothing. Anything that can be considered as a financial gain is taxable. NO losses are considered. You want to get married and have children? Do it on your own nickel. You want to pay for a mortgage? Do it on your own nickel. You had losses in the stock market or from gambling? Nobody forced you to take a risk. If there was a gain, however, pay your taxes. It's a simple formula. How much did you make? Multiply by .1 and send it in.

http://www.bermanpost.com/2011/05/51-us-households-pay-no-federal-income.html

Edited by Headshot

grumpy

No kidding. Those same 51% are getting housing subsidies, food stamps, (well its a card now) reduced or no utility bills, and whatever other entitlements you can think of. Just about every other person in line at the grocery store here in south Texas is buying LOADS of food on the government (read mine and people that work for a living) dime. Not to mention the 12 million illegal aliens we all support in one way our the other... the ones that do work send all they money back to Mexico.

Oh yeah... "poor" people in the US need to take a trip to Tondo and see people eating garbage, then they will know what "poor" means.

GRRRRR. :D

SkyMan
the percentage of U.S. households owing no federal income tax climbed to 51% for 2009.

Are illegals considered to have US households? That'd explain a big chunk of that.

If a household pays $5000 in FITW and receives a $200 refund are they considered to owe no taxes?

As far as I know, gambling loses can only be deducted from gambling winnings. Even so, if a person declares gambling to be their 'business' and the busiiness doesn't do well one year they should be treated no better or worse than someone whose candy store is having a bad year. The gambler could esily argue the candy store is their risk and since they gambled on it it's their problem.

I would go along with a 10% flat tax but I don't think you're ever going to get rid of a minimum income. The IRS does save a lot of money by not requiring a return from everyone. I could see something like no tax for earners below $10K and then a linearly graduated increase up to the 10% max at $15K.

You're still never going to get rid of deductions for dependents though. At least not for the lower income bracket.

grumpy

You're still never going to get rid of deductions for dependents though. At least not for the lower income bracket.

Thats what I`m talking about, why the hell have 5 kids if you have no means to support them? Then those kids will grow up with the same entitlement mentality.

smokey

well someone is paying taxes they just gave almost one half billion dollars to the philippines to (((( help the poor ))))) sure ha ha ha

Mr. Mike

Think "FAIR TAX" gentleman!!!

broden

i think you people just have a problem being a minority

InternetTough

What about Warren Buffett? He seems to know money and the situation in the USA. He says that he is taxed way too little---and so are his billionaire friends. There was a story a while back on how little he pays in taxes. He said that he paid at a lower rate than his secretary.Buffett said that members of his class have had it too good for decades in the USA.

I think that there is room at the top for more taxation in the USA, Congressional study or no. The top tier in the USA has been raking it in like no other top tier for a generation.

The poorer people in the USA all pay sales taxes. Even street people pay sales tax. That amounts to a fair chunk of their earnings. The States need that money, as they can't just print money---unlike the Federal Government. That should be enough to justify their citizenship; financially.

Edited by InternetTough

Headshot

Are illegals considered to have US households? That'd explain a big chunk of that.

If a household pays $5000 in FITW and receives a $200 refund are they considered to owe no taxes?

As far as I know, gambling loses can only be deducted from gambling winnings. Even so, if a person declares gambling to be their 'business' and the busiiness doesn't do well one year they should be treated no better or worse than someone whose candy store is having a bad year. The gambler could esily argue the candy store is their risk and since they gambled on it it's their problem.

I would go along with a 10% flat tax but I don't think you're ever going to get rid of a minimum income. The IRS does save a lot of money by not requiring a return from everyone. I could see something like no tax for earners below $10K and then a linearly graduated increase up to the 10% max at $15K.

Yes, illegals are included if they file...and they do. The way they avoid taxes is by splitting their income up between several names and fake social security numbers so that none of them make enough to pay anytheing. Then, they file for each of the names and not only get their taxes back, but get an earned income credit as well. It basically negates their SS and Medicare deductions. That is why you can't have a minimum income for paying. It just perpetuates the scammers. They don't go after them because it would be discrimination.

Edited by Headshot

fanboat

well someone is paying taxes they just gave almost one half billion dollars to the philippines to (((( help the poor ))))) sure ha ha ha

This probably explains why all the cars and suv"s in the sm parking lot are new!

Money will always stay in the hands of the prosperious

even the illegals know how to beat the system

broden

it all depends on what they'll consider high earners, i know a few people who own and run small mom and pop shops who would on paper make enough to be considered such from the numbers i've heard but what they actually take home and what has to go back in to their business, well it ends up being more a labor of love that a get rich kinda deal. and as far as the truly rich most of them don't much care. i don't think they one way or another don't pay taxes really either through the hiring of accountants to find loopholes or through passing the cost along on to those who make much less that them or most often both

TheMatrix

It's hard to believe the U.S. government is having difficulty staying afloat when it covers 75% of Nato's budget and we have troops stationed in 150+ countries.

Most of the rest of the world thinks the U.S. taxpayer should pay for their security.

Sinbad

It's hard to believe the U.S. government is having difficulty staying afloat when it covers 75% of Nato's budget and we have troops stationed in 150+ countries.

Most of the rest of the world thinks the U.S. taxpayer should pay for their security.

I think quite a lot of the world and quite a lot of the US would like the troops to come back home. I don't think Germany or the UK need US bases on their soil. The Okinawans were quite keen to get rid of the American base there and even the Iraqis, with all the problems they face, would prefer the US to get out.

Unfortunately, there are too many people in the US and abroad who benefit from the massive amounts of money that are spent maintaining overseas bases. How many billions went missing in Iraq? How many 'no bid' contracts have there been in Afghanistan? I don't think the people raking in the cash over there will be campaigning for the US to leave and they are the ones who make the decisions, at the moment.

Maybe Next Yr

Some Stats on U.S. Federal Income Taxes (Wikipedia):

Year $10,001 $20,001 $60,001 $100,001 $250,001

1950 38% 56% 78% 89% 91%

1960 26% 38% 62% 75% 89%

1980 18% 24% 54% 59% 70%

2010 -

10% $0

Mr. Mike

What about Warren Buffett? He seems to know money and the situation in the USA. He says that he is taxed way too little---and so are his billionaire friends. There was a story a while back on how little he pays in taxes. He said that he paid at a lower rate than his secretary.Buffett said that members of his class have had it too good for decades in the USA.

I think that there is room at the top for more taxation in the USA, Congressional study or no. The top tier in the USA has been raking it in like no other top tier for a generation.

The poorer people in the USA all pay sales taxes. Even street people pay sales tax. That amounts to a fair chunk of their earnings. The States need that money, as they can't just print money---unlike the Federal Government. That should be enough to justify their citizenship; financially.

Have you heard of the Laffer curve? It is worth a look.

Who pays the taxes in the US..............

Top 1% pays 38% of taxes

top 5% pays 58%

Top 10% pays 69%

Top 25% pays 86%

Top 50% pays 97.3%

The book Atlas Shrugged by Ayn Rand is worth a read!

The fact is the evil rich are paying more then their fair share of the taxes. The bottom 50% pay no federal taxes and yet too many are first in line to complain and demand government handouts, rebates, earned income credits, free babies, health care, food stamps, subsidized housing, subsidized utilities,,,,,,,,,,,,the list goes on.

post-5171-0-81136500-1307894835_thumb.png