Sign in to follow this  
A_Simple_Man

Use a SmartBro & Globe Tattoo same time?

A_Simple_Man

The problem is that I moved to a new area, Naval Biliran, where the only realistic ISPs available to me are SmartBro dongle and Globe Tattoo.

The complication is that I have 1 year left on my SmartBro contract but Globe Tattoo is, by all accounts, the faster ISP here. I have tweeked the DNS on my SmartBro to Google and I get good enough speed to view forums and email, except that the modem crashes when the network gets busy, and that is very frequent. There is only a GPRS connection available. I am told that Tattoo has a 3G connection available here.

I am using a modern, (2 year old), Acer laptop with all the bells and whistles, lots of memory etc and Windows Vista.

Can I use a Globe Tattoo in a second USB port and have that set up for downloads while I use the SmartBro for surfing? Is there an advantage to that or should I just bite the bullet on my 1 year contract left with SmartBro and switch to Globe. Or is there a way to hook in both and increase the speed of my connection? Or is there anything else I can do?

The most frustrating part is the crashes. It happens sporadicly and seems to happen most often when the network is busy. When it happens, I cannot disconnect from SmartBro and I have to use Task Manager or shut down SmartBro because it says the program is not responding. I tried using the SmartBro on my desktop model with Windows XP and on this laptop with the same result. I had no problem with it before I moved as I was previously in a place where 3G was available.

lazydays

Well i'm no Techi,but i believe you can,some business's have 3 ISPs and some how switch between them when others are down or problematic.

Edited by lazydays

capnharold

Well i'm no Techi,but i believe you can,some business's have 3 ISPs and some how switch between them when others are down or problematic.

Try this----start>settings>network connections>right click on local area connections>left click on bridge connections> find the isp's you want to combine ---and join together

U can do this with any un -secure source

Harold

Fish Sandwich

What is the penalty for cancelling your SmartBro contract?

Aerosick

Would you need 2 different Provider USB Thumb Drives so you could open different softwares that are provided by them to connect?

Would 2 USB Thumb Drives from the same Provider open with 1 software?

I think I want to try this on my next trip...

Billy

Fish Sandwich

You can not increase your bandwidth. You could probably do something else (i.e. team, bond, aggregate, load balance,etc) but I don't see the point (for the effort). If internet is important to you, I would get Globe and then either cancel SB or keep keep it as a backup. But, I'm still curious what the penalty is for canceling?

DeezNuz

I don't think Bridging a connection would double the bandwidth, hence the term "bridging" would just allow both networks to see one another.

Like when you connect LAN segments.

It may possibly help make your connection to the internet more reliable.

A_Simple_Man

You can not increase your bandwidth. You could probably do something else (i.e. team, bond, aggregate, load balance,etc) but I don't see the point (for the effort). If internet is important to you, I would get Globe and then either cancel SB or keep keep it as a backup. But, I'm still curious what the penalty is for canceling?

I don't think they know. I have had one agent tell me it is a 3 month penalty and another tell me I have to pay all the payments due to the end of the contract. I guess it is however they feel when I tell them I am cancelling but if I have to pay all the payments due then it is foolish to drop the service until I get my money's worth.

toshi

just stop paying, that's the philipino way.....

then u get disconnected after a few week,

end of problem...then when you want to reconnect, u (might) pay a fine,

it's a dongle,so its not like they will cut of your phone as well,

USMC-Retired

You can do it and no bridging will not work. You need load sharing software.

Have two dongles does nothing for you, the computer will connect to fast connection at the time it sends a packet out. This is where load sharing software comes into play. Yet in therory it sounds good but in practical terms not really. Yet the software can be set to specify what ports are to be used. So you could set torrents on one and regular Internet on another.

A_Simple_Man

You can do it and no bridging will not work. You need load sharing software.

Have two dongles does nothing for you, the computer will connect to fast connection at the time it sends a packet out. This is where load sharing software comes into play. Yet in therory it sounds good but in practical terms not really. Yet the software can be set to specify what ports are to be used. So you could set torrents on one and regular Internet on another.

That sounds like it could be really something. I am not looking for more bandwidth, I just want to get the bandwidth I get at the good times and have it consistent.

So if Smart and globe are both providing similar connection speeds then this load sharing sound like it gives a more stable connection with more chance of getting max speed. Where does a fellow find load sharing software that you would recommend for these 2 ISPs? If it isn't too expensive then I will give it a try.

USMC-Retired

I did a little research on this. This is for XP. If you need for Vista or 7 let me know.

This is a good link on how to:

Setup for RandomAdapter

This is from Microsoft:

If you have a multihomed computer, the Windows NT implementation of TCP/IP will help to distribute the number of connections, or sessions among the adapters according to a randomizing algorithm. However, truly balancing the network throughput among multiple network interface cards (NICs) has no current practical implementation on PC networks.

Back to the top

MORE INFORMATION

Perfect load balancing, meaning even network bandwidth on all NICs, is not possible. It would necessitate connection oriented network traffic to be dynamically switched between NICs.

However, Windows NT is able to distribute connections from clients across multiple NICs. This helps to spread out the network traffic.

Back to the top

Examples Without WINS

Case 1:

You have multiple NICs in a computer which are connected to separate segments. These segments are not connected by any routers or bridges. No load balancing or distribution of connections takes place at all.

Case 2:

You have a multihomed server, and all of the clients have equal access through the network to any of the NICs in the server. Configure each NIC in the server for its own subnet and distribute the clients among those same subnets. Again, the load balancing achieved here is by virtue of physically distributing the clients across multiple subnets since IP traffic from the clients will be sent to the NIC which has the same subnet address as the client.

Case 3:

In this case, all clients have equal network access to any of the NICs on the multihomed computer. Let all of the client's and server's NICs be on the same subnet. A client sends out a broadcast name query. This request will be received by all of the server's adapters. All of the server's adapters will respond to the client's query and each server adapter's response will contain only one returned address: its own. The client connects with the first adapter to respond and the client drops response packets from the server's other adapters.

Case 4:

Assume that you have the same setup as case 3. Clients have equal access to all of the server's NICs, and all clients and server NICs are on the same subnet. Here you can help to distribute the client connections between the server NICs by enabling the RandomAdapter in the Registry. In this way, each NIC will still respond to the name query, but each NIC will choose the IP address randomly from all the NICs on the server. This helps to distribute network sessions among the NICs, but does not necessarily balance the load since network traffic may vary greatly between the sessions.

WARNING: Using Registry Editor incorrectly can cause serious, system-wide problems that may require you to reinstall Windows NT to correct them. Microsoft cannot guarantee that any problems resulting from the use of Registry Editor can be solved. Use this tool at your own risk.

To do this, you will need to add the parameter RandomAdapter under the following subkey:

A_Simple_Man

This is interesting.

I was discouraged when I read the bit you posted, Norseman, about

Perfect load balancing, meaning even network bandwidth on all NICs, is not possible

Then I read how to enable (imperfect?) load balancing on the link you provided but it says

Requires: Two or more network cards.

so that is disheartening, because I plan to use 2 USB modems but as far as I know there is only one Network card in my computer. (Would it be necessary to put in 2 to run two USB modems at the same time?)

But then came the exciting bit. A link to an ad for PortaBella which seems to be EXACTLY what I want. The ad is about Wireless Broadband Bonding as opposed to Balancing. So now I need to know if that gadget actually works, where to get one, and how much they cost. Any further thoughts on the matter?

USMC-Retired

I wonder if the USB is a network card? That I do not know.

Bob Ward

I wonder if the USB is a network card? That I do not know.

Actually on many motherboards the USB interface is just one port with a USB hub type chip added, thus the power issues that plague many PCs on the USB ports!

infoseeker

im not also techie

but iread somewhere in local forum they are using multiple isp in one pc using

pfsense

squid (optional)

lusca cache [optional] (it saves in one hdd all the videos online that watched/website visited by the user so that it is available for future and so that no more buffer again)

they are using as many isp as the pc can hold

most of the the users are internet cafe and its popular in manila

yes they are combining all the speed.

sorry if i dig this thread - only hoping that it can help on others to get an idea

Paul

Hey Dave,

Did you ever sort this issue out? I don't know about the idea of combining them in your network connections. But, if that doesn't work, I know that you can use a load balancing router to combine two or more ISPs. I'm just curious as to what you ended up doing, since this topic was revived.

Thanks,