Sign in to follow this  
Turbota

Procedures for US Immigrant Visa using Direct Consular Filing (DCF)

afmayer

Dude that's great you saved some time, came prepared and got lucky. Did you go straight upstairs or was it downstairs that you learned of your approval? Maybe will try that too when I go to Manila next week if I haven't recieved anything in the mail yet. Also another if I get the packet with the DS-2001 and DS-230 (part 1) in the mail, maybe filling them out and bringing them to Manila myself would save time too rather than mailing it back.

I found out it was approved (and given a copy of the approval) at window 25 upstairs. I was sent downstairs for the rest of the business. Great idea to fill out the forms (don't need the packet... they can be found on-line) and bring them with you. Not only is the mail slow ... but you also run the risk of the documents getting lost and really delaying the process.

afmayer

Yep, completely agree with your statement about the know-it-alls at Visa Journey. Much discussion is needed when reading raw info from that many different people of such different situations. Here is one of my posts there that was important to me if you or any others reading this wish to know. It pertains to my CR1 financial situation regarding co-sponsorships. I think some of you might find it interesting and hopefully someone finds it helpful:

http://www.visajourn...03#entry5098503

You said your wife is a nurse. My wife is a nurse also and we researched (to some degree) what she would need to work as an LPN/RN in the states.

Did your wife pass her RP boards yet? While it is true that she could work in the home-care sector in the states, I believe (not 100% positive) that she would need to pass her RP boards before being able to work as an LPN/RN in the states. This is before taking any NCLEX, etc. tests. Something to think about if you want her to make the "big bucks" that an LPN/RN can make in the states.

ross_batangas

You said your wife is a nurse. My wife is a nurse also and we researched (to some degree) what she would need to work as an LPN/RN in the states.

Did your wife pass her RP boards yet? While it is true that she could work in the home-care sector in the states, I believe (not 100% positive) that she would need to pass her RP boards before being able to work as an LPN/RN in the states. This is before taking any NCLEX, etc. tests. Something to think about if you want her to make the "big bucks" that an LPN/RN can make in the states.

Thank you bro, I will mention this to her tonight, I think she is under the impression she will just get her NCLEX. We made the decision to her have take it Stateside to aviod some red tape issues within our state. She has her IELTs already, but I will ask her about the RP board test, that sounds crucial!

ross_batangas

I found out it was approved (and given a copy of the approval) at window 25 upstairs. I was sent downstairs for the rest of the business. Great idea to fill out the forms (don't need the packet... they can be found on-line) and bring them with you. Not only is the mail slow ... but you also run the risk of the documents getting lost and really delaying the process.

Yeah that sounds like a possible shortcut to aviod extra delay. Good looking out afmayer!

ross_batangas

I filed the CR1 in Manila 11/22 and received the approval 2/1 ... taking about 10 weeks. I happened to be in Manila on 2/1 for a VAMC clinic appointment and thought I would check on the VISA status at the embassy. As luck would have it, it was just approved and I was sent to window 28 where I was given a copy of the approval. Luckily I had my signed (ready to go) DS-2001 and DS-230 (part 1) with me (just in case). They were accepted and I was allowed to immediately make the interview appointment. I figured that my luck saved me weeks in processing time (as I still haven't received the mailed approval). I am no expert on the matter, but I would suspect that the mail situation in the Philippines constitutes a significant amount of the processing time. Depending on your rush, it might be a good idea to call the embassy and check the approval status starting around the 10 week mark, as once it is approved there may be ways to short-cut the remaining processing time (as I did).

Did you have to pay for the interview when you sceduled it or can one pay on the day of the interview?

afmayer

Did you have to pay for the interview when you sceduled it or can one pay on the day of the interview?

Pay for the interview? If I understand your question correctly, the answer is no, you pay on the day of the interview.

ross_batangas

Pay for the interview? If I understand your question correctly, the answer is no, you pay on the day of the interview.

Ok good to know, thanks! :steve:

angelajay

Your dual citizenship and your passport showing you have been here for four years, as well as school records verifying this, should be adequate. It would be good if you could at least show a vehicle in your name, but I believe they will accept what you have as it is.

Larry in Dumaguete

thank u so much for the info :paul:

angelajay

I'm confused. Your profile says you are female, but you say you were married to your wife in 2011. I take it that you are actually male and just mismarked in your profile...or else you were thinking by using both your wife's name and your own that both of you could use the same screen name. Anyway, I'm sure Larry is right about documentation of residence here. You don't have to actually own anything here to show residence. However, school records, rent receipts, utility bills (in your name), anything that shows you are established here...will be good. They will want to see lots of pictures too with you and your wife and family.

If you can afford it, I think if it were me, I would wait until your second anniversery to file for the DCF. That way you are filing for an IR-1 instead of a CR-1. It may seem like there is little difference, but the CR-1 visa is a single-entry visa and the IR-1 visa is a multiple-entry visa. In the long-run what that means is that with a CR-1 visa, your wife needs to stay in the US until she gains US citizenship, whereas with an IR-1 visa, she can travel back to the Philippines as often as she needs to before she gains US citizenship. With the CR-1, if she leaves the US, then US Immigration has the right to deny her re-entry if they want. It's just something to think about if you have the funds to stay here for a little longer to get the IR-1 visa. Don't file for the visa too early anyway. The visa (CR-1 or IR-1), once approved, is only good for six months (before she has to enter the US). It should take between four to six months to get the visa after you file...regardless of which visa you apply for.

thank u :paul: i'm actually a female. to make it easier to explain as if my husband is telling. :) about the visa good for six months. is it possible if for example we have the visa and it will expire on February, since our 2nd anniversary is on january, it would be possible that my status would change to IR when i enter USA? is it CR1 is conditional visa right?

shadow

thank u :) i'm actually a female. to make it easier to explain as if my husband is telling. :banghead: about the visa good for six months. is it possible if for example we have the visa and it will expire on February, since our 2nd anniversary is on january, it would be possible that my status would change to IR when i enter USA? is it CR1 is conditional visa right?

The visa will expire 6 months after the medical. If at the time you enter the US you have been married two years or more, an IR1 with a permanent (10 year) green card will be issued.

Larry in Dumaguete

Edited by shadow

Headshot

The visa will expire 6 months after the medical. If at the time you enter the US you have been married two years or more, an IR1 with a permanent (10 year) green card will be issued.

Larry in Dumaguete

That's good to know. I assumed that the visa you applied for was the visa you got. Interesting. Is the date on the visa based on the date of the physical at St. Luke's then?

shadow

That's good to know. I assumed that the visa you applied for was the visa you got. Interesting. Is the date on the visa based on the date of the physical at St. Luke's then?

Generally yes. The visa can only be valid as long as the medical is. The medical is good for 6 months. this is why there often is confusion over the visa validity dates, and questions pop up such as "why is my visa only valid for 4 months? Isn't it supposed to be 6 months?"

Larry in Dumaguete

ross_batangas

A few days ago through an email correspondence with the Embassy in Manila I was told our petition had been approved and that a Packet 3 would be mailed to us soon. In my excitement I remembered what afmayer mentioned he did earlier in this thread, and repeated this process:

We went to US Embassy in Manila yesterday morning and brought with us the DS2001 and DS230 documents. We went to window 38 downstairs where the lady behind the glass accepted our documents and handed us a piece of paper circling the number of NVC to call and schedule an appointment. She also said we could schedule our appointment online using the case number. She wrote down the 10 digit case number on a piece of paper and handed it to us.

When I returned home I tried out our case number online and it didn’t work. I realized after doing some reading that you have to add MNL to the beginning of the 10 digits. I haven’t tried this yet but my main concern is this:

While reading about what you are required to bring to the St. Lukes medical exam I noticed you need your appointment letter. And that “If you don’t have your appointment letter yet, you may bring a photocopy of your NOA2 letter and NVC letter showing your MNL case no.”

Based on this information (If it is valid) will I have to wait for my Packet 3 to arrive in the mail?

Also, what about the fact I already submitted my DS2001 and DS230 in person?

I hope it’s all a none-issue.

afmayer

A few days ago through an email correspondence with the Embassy in Manila I was told our petition had been approved and that a Packet 3 would be mailed to us soon. In my excitement I remembered what afmayer mentioned he did earlier in this thread, and repeated this process:

We went to US Embassy in Manila yesterday morning and brought with us the DS2001 and DS230 documents. We went to window 38 downstairs where the lady behind the glass accepted our documents and handed us a piece of paper circling the number of NVC to call and schedule an appointment. She also said we could schedule our appointment online using the case number. She wrote down the 10 digit case number on a piece of paper and handed it to us.

When I returned home I tried out our case number online and it didn’t work. I realized after doing some reading that you have to add MNL to the beginning of the 10 digits. I haven’t tried this yet but my main concern is this:

While reading about what you are required to bring to the St. Lukes medical exam I noticed you need your appointment letter. And that “If you don’t have your appointment letter yet, you may bring a photocopy of your NOA2 letter and NVC letter showing your MNL case no.”

Based on this information (If it is valid) will I have to wait for my Packet 3 to arrive in the mail?

Also, what about the fact I already submitted my DS2001 and DS230 in person?

I hope it’s all a none-issue.

Non-issue ... After you make your appointment on-line, you can print out the appointment letter immediately. This is what I did and what was accepted at St. Lukes.

ross_batangas

jeez now I'm reading some saying not to fill out part II of DS230, which I did fill out. However I see nothing on the DS230 documents that say not to fill out part II.