Sign in to follow this  
Turbota

Procedures for US Immigrant Visa using Direct Consular Filing (DCF)

ross_batangas

This is what I brought yesterday at 8am to DCF window in Manila:

1. I-130 application

2. G-325A application (myself) with 2 passport photos (2 ”x 2” glossy color with white background)

3. G-325A application (wife) with 2 passport photos (2” x 2” glossy color with white background)

4. Photocopy and original U.S. passport (Front page and page with 13a visa stamp)

5. Photocopy and original Philippines passport (Front page)

6. Photocopy and original NSO birth certificate

7. Photocopy and original U.S. birth certificate

8. Photocopy and original NSO marriage contract

9. Photocopy and original ACR-I card (Although expired, I'm paid up and current with PH B.I.)

10. Photocopy of all previous divorce papers (No original because it was filed while I was in PH via courier and final divorce paper was emailed to me.)

11. Documentation of rental lease contract, payment stubs and letter from landlord showing joint occupancy of our rental home. Original monthly report of my US based bank account showing I withdrew money here in PH for the last 2 years. Many Xoom money transfer receipts showing I received money from the US here in PH.

12. Photos of your wedding (wedding album book)

13. $420 in cash or credit card

Our case was the fifth to be seen that morning. Several of those before us had either more complex cases or were unprepared. The clerk told one or two of these parties that the expected process now takes 3-6 months not 3-4.

All our documentation was accepted without question. However they would not let us file without my divorce decree documents. I only had my FNFCL document.

So a note to all you guys who have been divorced, they want this data.

I will update you guys when I return again with the proper documentation.

Note: The divorce papers can be only a photocopy, doesn't need to be original.

TheMatrix

I will update you guys when I return again with the proper documentation.

Ross, did you eventually file. Successful? Any hiccups? I'm planning on filing next month so I'm getting prepared now.

angelajay

hi! i just read the conversations and it's really helping but i know that as time pass, rules and policies will change without prior notice.. So still im planning to file a CR1 visa via dcf. My situation goes like this.... I'm DUAL fil-us citizen. I came here in PI last May 2008 to study a 4 year course here in PI. I met my wife sept 2009 and we got married Jan. 2011. Now im in my last year of schooling.. If God permits, i'll be graduating this october this year.. Now my problem is about the proof of residency documents. I dont own a house nor business here... I just came to study.. So are my school papers be honored as a proof? like certificate or pictures in school showing that im really studying here. and me and my wife only lives in her parents or in my in-laws. so I have to get an affidavit of joint living of parents or i dont know... I only owned a car but i transferred the ownership to my wife. i have only here my parents house, my parents lot property... Now im really confused and i dont know what things should i get as a proof... pls help.. I would really appreciate any help even just a little info.. thank u so much!

shadow

hi! i just read the conversations and it's really helping but i know that as time pass, rules and policies will change without prior notice.. So still im planning to file a CR1 visa via dcf. My situation goes like this.... I'm DUAL fil-us citizen. I came here in PI last May 2008 to study a 4 year course here in PI. I met my wife sept 2009 and we got married Jan. 2011. Now im in my last year of schooling.. If God permits, i'll be graduating this october this year.. Now my problem is about the proof of residency documents. I dont own a house nor business here... I just came to study.. So are my school papers be honored as a proof? like certificate or pictures in school showing that im really studying here. and me and my wife only lives in her parents or in my in-laws. so I have to get an affidavit of joint living of parents or i dont know... I only owned a car but i transferred the ownership to my wife. i have only here my parents house, my parents lot property... Now im really confused and i dont know what things should i get as a proof... pls help.. I would really appreciate any help even just a little info.. thank u so much!

Your dual citizenship and your passport showing you have been here for four years, as well as school records verifying this, should be adequate. It would be good if you could at least show a vehicle in your name, but I believe they will accept what you have as it is.

Larry in Dumaguete

Headshot

I'm confused. Your profile says you are female, but you say you were married to your wife in 2011. I take it that you are actually male and just mismarked in your profile...or else you were thinking by using both your wife's name and your own that both of you could use the same screen name. Anyway, I'm sure Larry is right about documentation of residence here. You don't have to actually own anything here to show residence. However, school records, rent receipts, utility bills (in your name), anything that shows you are established here...will be good. They will want to see lots of pictures too with you and your wife and family.

If you can afford it, I think if it were me, I would wait until your second anniversery to file for the DCF. That way you are filing for an IR-1 instead of a CR-1. It may seem like there is little difference, but the CR-1 visa is a single-entry visa and the IR-1 visa is a multiple-entry visa. In the long-run what that means is that with a CR-1 visa, your wife needs to stay in the US until she gains US citizenship, whereas with an IR-1 visa, she can travel back to the Philippines as often as she needs to before she gains US citizenship. With the CR-1, if she leaves the US, then US Immigration has the right to deny her re-entry if they want. It's just something to think about if you have the funds to stay here for a little longer to get the IR-1 visa. Don't file for the visa too early anyway. The visa (CR-1 or IR-1), once approved, is only good for six months (before she has to enter the US). It should take between four to six months to get the visa after you file...regardless of which visa you apply for.

shadow

If you can afford it, I think if it were me, I would wait until your second anniversery to file for the DCF. That way you are filing for an IR-1 instead of a CR-1. It may seem like there is little difference, but the CR-1 visa is a single-entry visa and the IR-1 visa is a multiple-entry visa. In the long-run what that means is that with a CR-1 visa, your wife needs to stay in the US until she gains US citizenship, whereas with an IR-1 visa, she can travel back to the Philippines as often as she needs to before she gains US citizenship. With the CR-1, if she leaves the US, then US Immigration has the right to deny her re-entry if they want. It's just something to think about if you have the funds to stay here for a little longer to get the IR-1 visa. Don't file for the visa too early anyway. The visa (CR-1 or IR-1), once approved, is only good for six months (before she has to enter the US). It should take between four to six months to get the visa after you file...regardless of which visa you apply for.

I'm not sure where you got that information, but it is false. A CR1 entrant will be issued a 2 year green card, whereas an IR1 will be issued a 10 year green card. Both can travel back and forth as often as they wish, so long as they don't stay too long out of the US. Both can be denied by immigration if they want.

Larry in Dumaguete

ross_batangas

I'm confused. Your profile says you are female, but you say you were married to your wife in 2011. I take it that you are actually male and just mismarked in your profile...or else you were thinking by using both your wife's name and your own that both of you could use the same screen name. Anyway, I'm sure Larry is right about documentation of residence here. You don't have to actually own anything here to show residence. However, school records, rent receipts, utility bills (in your name), anything that shows you are established here...will be good. They will want to see lots of pictures too with you and your wife and family.

Just so there is no confusion, I think what Headshot is saying (feel free to correct me if wrong) is that it takes 4 - 6 months for the entire process to be completed from filing to visa recieving, not that you get the visa 4-6 months after your interview. Most people on visajourney.com along with members of this forum got it within a few days after thier interview. So if you needed to stay extra time in PI you would have like say 5 months or so to do it rather than to rush out.

Edited by ross_batangas

ross_batangas

Ross, did you eventually file. Successful? Any hiccups? I'm planning on filing next month so I'm getting prepared now.

Hi sorry for the late reply. BTW I saw your prenup pics on FB, we have a some mutual friends, anyways looks great!!

I ended up filing on December 27th last year at the Manila Consulate for a CR-1 (Spousal Visa). And we are still waiting for our packet to arrive in the mail. Some say it takes 3-6 months but according to the email correspondence I am keeping up with the Consulate it should be within 3 so we are eagerly awaiting. I received alot of advice (some from Shadow, thx!) and did a ton of home work on the requirements regarding my case before filing. I'm guessing yours will be a K-1 (Fiancé Visa) right? It's faster to get that then the one I'm doing but there is more to prove I think mostly in the financials since you’re not married. But if you make enough then that's not a factor. I recommend reading deeply over at visajourney.com and here as well before you file. That helped me feel alot better about it rather than just believing one person or one site.

shadow

Hi sorry for the late reply. BTW I saw your prenup pics on FB, we have a some mutual friends, anyways looks great!!

I ended up filing on December 27th last year at the Manila Consulate for a CR-1 (Spousal Visa). And we are still waiting for our packet to arrive in the mail. Some say it takes 3-6 months but according to the email correspondence I am keeping up with the Consulate it should be within 3 so we are eagerly awaiting. I received alot of advice (some from Shadow, thx!) and did a ton of home work on the requirements regarding my case before filing. I'm guessing yours will be a K-1 (Fiancé Visa) right? It's faster to get that then the one I'm doing but there is more to prove I think mostly in the financials since you’re not married. But if you make enough then that's not a factor. I recommend reading deeply over at visajourney.com and here as well before you file. That helped me feel alot better about it rather than just believing one person or one site.

K visas cannot be direct filed, only spousal visas are eligible for DCF filing. The financial guideline is the same for both fiance and spousal visas, 125% of poverty level. Visa journey is a great site, but one really needs to be heavy with the disregard pen, as there are far too many experts there that got to be experts by processing one (1) visa. You should be hearing from the embassy this month, or early March.

Larry in Dumaguete

Headshot

Just so there is no confusion, I think what Headshot is saying (feel free to correct me if wrong) is that it takes 4 - 6 months for the entire process to be completed from filing to visa recieving, not that you get the visa 4-6 months after your interview. Most people on visajourney.com along with members of this forum got it within a few days after thier interview. So if you needed to stay extra time in PI you would have like say 5 months or so to do it rather than to rush out.

That is correct, but it is more like a week or two after the interview when you receive the passport with the visa and the visa packet. The 4 to 6 months is total processing time for the visa. The interview is just the last step. Of course, if anything is found during the physical exam, throw this schedule out the window.

• Like 1

Headshot

That's OK Larry. Steve and Genne are now married. He will be filing for a CR-1 visa. Thanks for explaining the difference between the CR-1 and IR-1 better...my misunderstanding. Not that it will matter that much to us. In any event, there are advantages to the IR-1.

Edited by Headshot

afmayer
I ended up filing on December 27th last year at the Manila Consulate for a CR-1 (Spousal Visa). And we are still waiting for our packet to arrive in the mail. Some say it takes 3-6 months but according to the email correspondence I am keeping up with the Consulate it should be within 3 so we are eagerly awaiting.

I filed the CR1 in Manila 11/22 and received the approval 2/1 ... taking about 10 weeks. I happened to be in Manila on 2/1 for a VAMC clinic appointment and thought I would check on the VISA status at the embassy. As luck would have it, it was just approved and I was sent to window 28 where I was given a copy of the approval. Luckily I had my signed (ready to go) DS-2001 and DS-230 (part 1) with me (just in case). They were accepted and I was allowed to immediately make the interview appointment. I figured that my luck saved me weeks in processing time (as I still haven't received the mailed approval). I am no expert on the matter, but I would suspect that the mail situation in the Philippines constitutes a significant amount of the processing time. Depending on your rush, it might be a good idea to call the embassy and check the approval status starting around the 10 week mark, as once it is approved there may be ways to short-cut the remaining processing time (as I did).

m60man

Larry can correct me if I'm wrong. The CR-1 Visa is a conditional visa. This is applied for (or issued) if you have been married for less then two years upon her or his entrance onto the USA. Thus the conditions, the green card is only good for two years upon entrance to the USA. Sometime before your 2nd anniversary you must apply for an adjustment of status, more dollars. Citizenship has nothing to do with it, that's a whole different procedure.

If you have been married 2 year or more prior to his or her entrance to the USA you can apply for an IR-1 Visa (Immediate relative). This gives you a 10 year green card upon entrance, no adjustment of status needed. Best bang for your bucks if you qualify. Beware, you must spend more time per year in the USA then out to maintain you status. Immigration Officers have the right to deny entrance if you have spent more time outside the USA then in!

I think US Citizenship can be applied for after 3 plus years in the States. You must apply, qualify, take tests and attend a swearing in ceremony after approval.

Learn the vocabulary of the visa process. Residency vs Domicile, two different animals. Your residency here qualifies you to apply DCF. Your passport status and school records should be sufficient in your case to prove residency. Domicile refers to where you intend to live in the USA. That is something you will have to provide as well. Your snag may come with the I- 864, prove of income. Obviously your in school and may not have the income to meet the minimum requirement. So you may need a sponsor or co-sponsor to help meet the financial requirements. Assets do count toward this if you have enough and can prove it. Good luck and let us know how you fare.

ross_batangas

K visas cannot be direct filed, only spousal visas are eligible for DCF filing. The financial guideline is the same for both fiance and spousal visas, 125% of poverty level. Visa journey is a great site, but one really needs to be heavy with the disregard pen, as there are far too many experts there that got to be experts by processing one (1) visa. You should be hearing from the embassy this month, or early March.

Larry in Dumaguete

Yep, completely agree with your statement about the know-it-alls at Visa Journey. Much discussion is needed when reading raw info from that many different people of such different situations. Here is one of my posts there that was important to me if you or any others reading this wish to know. It pertains to my CR1 financial situation regarding co-sponsorships. I think some of you might find it interesting and hopefully someone finds it helpful:

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/346738-manila-co-sponsor-question/page__p__5098503#entry5098503

ross_batangas

I filed the CR1 in Manila 11/22 and received the approval 2/1 ... taking about 10 weeks. I happened to be in Manila on 2/1 for a VAMC clinic appointment and thought I would check on the VISA status at the embassy. As luck would have it, it was just approved and I was sent to window 28 where I was given a copy of the approval. Luckily I had my signed (ready to go) DS-2001 and DS-230 (part 1) with me (just in case). They were accepted and I was allowed to immediately make the interview appointment. I figured that my luck saved me weeks in processing time (as I still haven't received the mailed approval). I am no expert on the matter, but I would suspect that the mail situation in the Philippines constitutes a significant amount of the processing time. Depending on your rush, it might be a good idea to call the embassy and check the approval status starting around the 10 week mark, as once it is approved there may be ways to short-cut the remaining processing time (as I did).

Dude that's great you saved some time, came prepared and got lucky. Did you go straight upstairs or was it downstairs that you learned of your approval? Maybe will try that too when I go to Manila next week if I haven't recieved anything in the mail yet. Also another if I get the packet with the DS-2001 and DS-230 (part 1) in the mail, maybe filling them out and bringing them to Manila myself would save time too rather than mailing it back.