Sign in to follow this  
Ricbak

Help!

Ricbak

I blame Norseman ...........not really but his article on Laptops with insufficient memory got me thinking and a few months ago Tim had been extremely helpful in helping me reduce clutter on my laptop.

So I checked my disc status and the little pie chart showed my computer was absolutely full.

I should mention here that being a little kuripot I had been using my Toshiba satellite ported to a HP w1907 monitor because the screen on the laptop had broken.

So I bought an Acer AX3960 with tons of memory and running Windows 7............and had to go back to the shop to buy a device to help me move files from the old computer to the new, they sold me a 'Clicker" .

When I came to transfer the files for some reason my external hard drive wasnt recognised by either my netbook, laptop or new desktop ????

So using a USB stick I transferred some of the smaller files a drawn out ptocess because each time I transferred stuff I had to unplug the monitor from the laptop and plug into the desktop to see what I was doing.

So this morning back to the shop I went to buy a new external hard drive got back home ready to go...........BUT NOW for some explicable reason..........the monitor works with the desktop but only shows the initial Windows XP start up sign then I get the message "Monitor going to sleep"

Hitting F12 doesn't help

I don't believe I have deleted anything important from the laptop which is causing this.

Any advice gratefully received, all I really want to do is transfer remaining big files photos and music etc and then I will scrap the Toshiba.

Cheers, Ricbak

Toshiba Satellite Laptop (2006) running Windows XP

HP w1907 monitor

Acer AX3960 desktop running Windows 7

musicman666

i would have taken the disk out of the old laptop and mounted it in an external drive enclosure. Then copied it all onto the new laptop.

Ricbak

i would have taken the disk out of the old laptop and mounted it in an external drive enclosure. Then copied it all onto the new laptop.

Musicman is that hard to do?

Ricbak

USMC-Retired

Have you gone in to settings for the display and changed it? Since it is a laptop have you started it with out the monitor connected? Just sounds as it is defaulting to the monitor now and not the laptop display. However what I am reading it just does it all the time and never works.

That is not a good sign. I also do not think that it is related to the files you moved. There is only one way to test this theory. Is with a boot disk. You will need to burn a boot disk on one of your other PC's . Then see if it does it. Use this LIST to find one. I would use puppy. You can use a program called Free Burn Iso.

If it will not show the image then I have some really bad news to report. CPU or GPU have failed so it goes to sleep mode. If it does boot then we can go from there.

One last thing before you try that. Try and boot the computer in safe mode. F5 and F8 repeatedly before the computer starts. Then put it into safe mode. If that is the case then find a good restore point in your backup list that should help.

Edited by Norseman

musicman666

Musicman is that hard to do?

Ricbak

easy if you take the drive out ..probably some panel in the bottom and just buy a usb enclosure for it ..quite cheap from any computer store .. plug it in the usb port of your new laptop and copy over. Obviously you dont really want to be bothered with the old laptop anymore so why waste time on it? Hopefully the disk is still ok... if it isnt then all that trying to get it to boot up again will really puish it over the edge... best extract the data asap using a passive method like i described.

Ricbak

easy if you take the drive out ..probably some panel in the bottom and just buy a usb enclosure for it ..quite cheap from any computer store .. plug it in the usb port of your new laptop and copy over. Obviously you dont really want to be bothered with the old laptop anymore so why waste time on it? Hopefully the disk is still ok... if it isnt then all that trying to get it to boot up again will really puish it over the edge... best extract the data asap using a passive method like i described.

Well I am making some small progress............I watched a few videos on You Tube and attempted to put the laptop drive in the external hard drive that wasn't working only to discover that the pins didnt line up so gave up on that one.

Wondering whether lack of power was the reason for the old ext hard drive not working I went searching for an old external usb hub and found another USB cable and external power source.

What a Duffer I am! because without need for external power using the simple black USB lead all was well. I had been using what I thought was a USB cable a silver cable with both male and female outlets that I got with my Iphone and USB modem. ( so what are these called)

Norseman I will follow your advice next

Thanks Ricbak

musicman666

if the data is important to you i wouldnt take chances.. take what you have to a computer store ..otherwise you might screw the pooch.

USMC-Retired

Just wondering what the progress was? Does it seem to work now?

Ronin

Here's a tip that might be useful, I haven't transferred to a new laptop for awhile but maybe Noreseman can chime in....

When you log onto Windows 7 (and XP), a folder with your login name is created.

ie: C:\users\Ronin

This is where your documents/pictures etc.. are stored by default.

IIRC when you hook your old laptop drive up to an external case on your new laptop, this folder may be inaccessible.

Best to copy files in this folder to a new external hdd to make sure you get all your important files.

Btw, I don't recall if XP uses the C:\users\xxx as the default path, it may be some variation of it but I don't have an XP box handy to check.

USMC-Retired

No XP uses a folder called. C:\documents and settings\ user name

If you do not set user name then it is ADMIN or Guest.

If you are not the Admin or do not know the password you will be unable to copy these folders. However if you are the administrator you can copy them. If you are going from one windows machine to another and try to copy you will need to set the permissions to allow this.

Edited by Norseman