ATMs in Cebu

Am I correct in saying there are ATMs for VISA cards in several places in Cebu? Do they have them at the airport?

OK that was probably an easy one. Harder question: do they have ATMs that support the "Plus" network? Or China Unionpay (almost certainly not, just double checking. Thailand has it.).

I presume that rates for exchange in cash (USD, EUR, HKD etc.) are very bad and to be avoided at all costs? Or is the USD rate reasonable?

I am coming for the first time to Cebu next week ... first time in Philippines :D

Thanks.

Adam

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• UZI

• Paul

• AdamISZ

• Woolf

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Best places I have found to withdraw money is either of the two HSBC branches in Cebu City.   3 Reasons:   1) Huge limit of 40,000 per withdrawal (if you're bank allows that much) 2) No Servic

Exactly what i was about to post, i only use these ATM's with my visa debit cards and don't get charged by the local HSBC. As said you can get PHP40k per withdrawal but check that the ATM has PHP1,000

JollyJim

Yes there are many atms, all the major malls have them and of course the banks, there are even atms at the cememt plants south of cebu.

They will charge 200p for a transaction tho.

I used my Visa debit card many times, just be sure to let your bank know when you will be there or they will not allow the transaction.

Edited by JollyJim
johnormoc

There are ATM's everywhere and most support the Plus, Cirrus and other international networks though I'm not sure about China Unionpay as I've never looked for it. The ATM's will have signs with logo pictures of the networks they interface with.

Just know that as JJ stated, there will be a P200 surcharge in addition to any fees your own bank levies to use your ATM. Consider it your introduction to the "Pinoy Philosophy of Ass Raping and Gouging a Foreigner as Much as Possible" way of doing business.

Change a little USD at the airport for taxis and pocket money but not too much as the airport money changers offer the worst rates. If you're in the Mango Ave area, the best place I've found since Robinson's closed to change money is at the Rain Tree Mall behind Bo's Coffee Shop on Ramos St.

Have fun!

tom_shor

There are ATM's everywhere and most support the Plus, Cirrus and other international networks though I'm not sure about China Unionpay as I've never looked for it. The ATM's will have signs with logo pictures of the networks they interface with.

Just know that as JJ stated, there will be a P200 surcharge in addition to any fees your own bank levies to use your ATM. Consider it your introduction to the "Pinoy Philosophy of Ass Raping and Gouging a Foreigner as Much as Possible" way of doing business.

Change a little USD at the airport for taxis and pocket money but not too much as the airport money changers offer the worst rates. If you're in the Mango Ave area, the best place I've found since Robinson's closed to change money is at the Rain Tree Mall behind Bo's Coffee Shop on Ramos St.

Have fun!

I used to change at Robinsons all the time. Are they going to reopen?

Thanks for the replies, it gives me a fair idea about the situation. Also interesting to find out about the $4-$5 surcharge; they've had exactly the same kind of fee in Thailand for several years. The fascinating thing is although this charge seems to apply to foreign credit and debit cards, it doesn't apply to Chinese bank cards with the Unionpay network (which all Chinese cards have). The charge for those is zero! What does it say about the way the world's changing that a Chinese bank card gets you a better deal than a Western one!?

Have fun!

Not a totally true statement. MOST banks will charge you but not all. Shop around. I use the ATM in Robinsons Supermarket in Talisay. No charge.

Edited by UZI
Paul

How long do you plan to stay here? Long enough to consider opening a USD checking account? It would be basically free (the cost of a check) to transfer money then.

Just a thought.

By the way, if you plan to go to Malapascua, take cash. If you plan to go to Bantayan Island, there is one ATM on the island... yes, one. However, I am able to use my VISA card there, as well as local bank ATM cards.

Check Metro Bank & Citibank ATM's 1st & see if you get deducted P200 - I have read of them not charging.

Smitty

If you arrive via Korean Air, like many are doing since its cheaper recently, it arrives at 1am, so there are no money changers open. Just bite the bullet and have some 1 dollar US bills handy and pay whatever, it won't cost you more than 10 dollars to get to most places in Cebu. Yes 10 dollars is too much, but at 2am in the morning after a long intercontinental flight, do you really care? Or do you just want to get to a shower and bed...up to you. There's a place that I went to at Fuentes Circle, across from Robinison's burnt out carcass, next to the KFC (that some people hear and other places said had a good rate), that gave a good rate, but then I went to Ayala about an hour later, and next to Rustan's there was a place that had an even better rate. So I guess that place next to Rustan's is pretty good to go to. Other than that, ATM's are plentyful, but you will pay THEIR rate, and your network may charge you a rate, for a total of up to around 6USD. For me I got my MIL to open an account at Chinabank, and transfered 1000CAD to it for a 1 time cost of 6CAD, and withdrew for free everytime. You need a trustworthy person already there to do that of course.

Paul
Check Metro Bank & Citibank ATM's 1st & see if you get deducted P200 - I have read of them not charging.

Metro Bank ATMs charge me the Php 200 fee.

How long do you plan to stay here?

Just three weeks vacation. So no big deal.

The thing I don't like about the charges is it incentivizes you to take big wads of cash out at one time, which is precisely the opposite of what's safe...

If you arrive via Korean Air, like many are doing since its cheaper recently, it arrives at 1am, so there are no money changers open. Just bite the bullet and have some 1 dollar US bills handy and pay whatever, it won't cost you more than 10 dollars to get to most places in Cebu.

I'm arriving from HK (live in Shenzhen), should be getting there around 7pm, so I have a more relaxed schedule. I don't have small denom. USD cash but I could pick up a little when in Hong Kong just for safety. Rates are OK there.

There's a place that I went to at Fuentes Circle, across from Robinison's burnt out carcass, next to the KFC (that some people hear and other places said had a good rate), that gave a good rate, but then I went to Ayala about an hour later, and next to Rustan's there was a place that had an even better rate. So I guess that place next to Rustan's is pretty good to go to. Other than that, ATM's are plentyful, but you will pay THEIR rate, and your network may charge you a rate, for a total of up to around 6USD. For me I got my MIL to open an account at Chinabank, and transfered 1000CAD to it for a 1 time cost of 6CAD, and withdrew for free everytime. You need a trustworthy person already there to do that of course.

Thanks, duly noted.

The thing I don't like about the charges is it incentivizes you to take big wads of cash out at one time, which is precisely the opposite of what's safe...

Most ATM's only give you P10,000 per withdrawal so not so big.

Paul

I'm sure, with your experience in traveling, that this goes without saying. But, if that is what you end up doing, definitely be cautious.

But, the fees are a bit extreme. Here are mine, now:

Php 200 - local ATMs on foreign cards

$2.00 - ATM transaction fee

2% - VISA International fee

Php 2 - Bank exchange rate loss per USD

My credit union just went up on fees, and incorporated others. Before I never had a "monthly" checking account fee.

My ATM fee, previously, was $1.50.

It's getting ridiculous.