Sign in to follow this  
dowhatuwill

Bantayan or Malapascua?

dowhatuwill

Hi Everyone,

Wonderd if anyone could share their preferences/ opinions on whether Bantayan or Malapscua island is the best place to bring your lady for some one on one time?

I know it's kind of a dumb question since it all depends on the individual, budgets etc but all views are appreciated.

Factors that need to be considerd are:

1) Ease of access from Cebu city.

2) value for money ( 1300 pesos or less per night for a room) Reasonably priced food.

4) Quality of the beaches ( not doing snrokeling or diving)

thanks all

Paul

Hi Everyone,

Wonderd if anyone could share their preferences/ opinions on whether Bantayan or Malapscua island is the best place to bring your lady for some one on one time?

I know it's kind of a dumb question since it all depends on the individual, budgets etc but all views are appreciated.

Factors that need to be considerd are:

1) Ease of access from Cebu city.

2) value for money ( 1300 pesos or less per night for a room) Reasonably priced food.

4) Quality of the beaches ( not doing snrokeling or diving)

thanks all

I would say either, considering I have been on both islands. Both are accessed by heading up north, with Maya being a bit further north than Haganaya, San Remegio, from Cebu City. My estimate to San Remegio would be about 115 kilometers or so. Driving time, probably about 2.5 to 3.0 hours. To get to Maya would be around 3.0 to 3.5 hours, I would say.

You would take a fast craft or a ferry (Ro-Ro) across from Haganaya Pier, heading over to Sta. Fe, Bantayan Island, Cebu. Travel time is going to be about 1 hour going across. The boat will moor at the pier in Sta. Fe, where you will depart and head to your final destination. To spend less, just stay in Sta. Fe. Tons of beach resorts, and decent beaches as well. I would suggest staying almost anywhere in Sta. Fe, OTHER THAN Tickety Boo Beach Resort, run by a piece of shit guy from Britain, by the name of William "Bill" Charlton.

You would head north to Maya, direct from Cebu North Bus Terminal, on a bus going to Maya. The bus stops at the pier, where you will then board a small pump boat that will take you for a ride across to Malapascua. Malapascua, keep in mind now, is MUCH smaller than Bantayan Island. I used to stay at Wobbly Boot / Kaon Ba Beach Resort on Malapascua, owned by none other than - Johnny Walker. :) They had a decent pool that I enjoyed swimming in regularly.

REFERENCE LINKS:

Cebu Boat Trips - One of my sites where I post boat schedules and photos.

wowBantayan.com - A good resource, by Paul James, regarding Bantayan Island.

Tickety Boo Beach Resort - Bantayan Island - Do not stay here, unless you don't mind dirty old William "Bill" Charlton, who is married, hitting on your wife / girlfriend.

loosehead

Paul has covered all the info but in my opinion the brilliant photography of Paul James makes Bantayan look a lot better than it actually is. We found it a low budget boring place with very little going for it. Malapascua has diving but the electricity was turned off overnight. We met some cool people in both places but won't be going back. When people talk about the best beach places thay say "this is the next Boracay". In my opinion there is only one Boracay, the best beach resort in asia. The others pale in comparison. The only places I have seen that come close are in Palawan but i'm always looking.

dowhatuwill

Paul has covered all the info but in my opinion the brilliant photography of Paul James makes Bantayan look a lot better than it actually is. We found it a low budget boring place with very little going for it. Malapascua has diving but the electricity was turned off overnight. We met some cool people in both places but won't be going back. When people talk about the best beach places thay say "this is the next Boracay". In my opinion there is only one Boracay, the best beach resort in asia. The others pale in comparison. The only places I have seen that come close are in Palawan but i'm always looking.

Hey thanks for that Paul and loosehead. Plenty of info there for me to base my choice on. Much appreciated and will be sure to steer clear of Tickety Boo scum like that could really spoil the fun.

Cheers

Paul

I haven't been back on Malapascua for some time now. But, I had heard they have 24 hours electricity now. If anyone can confirm that, it would be great!

Jim Sibbick

I haven't been back on Malapascua for some time now. But, I had heard they have 24 hours electricity now. If anyone can confirm that, it would be great!

Just found this today while looking for something else.

Yes, Malapascua has 24/7 electricity now. I confirmed this during my trip last December.

Regards: Jim

Stranded Shipscook

Dependss on the season.

bantayan during SW monsoon isn't that nice due the the beaches facing into the wind and waves. malapascua main beach is more protected then.

I used to love Malapascua, but in the last few years it got more and more commercialized and expensive.

next holiday i will spend in Bantayan. (Yes, i have holidays from my general vacation too :thats-funny: )

cheaper as well.

Paul

Well, Guenther feels differently, but I would go to either island any time of the year. I have enjoyed much time on each of them, over the years.

Julian C Thong

Without question Malapascua although I havnt been there for 2 years. I found Bantayan a bit of rip off and the locals too agressive. I also like the small size of the former, no cars and plenty of sand. At this time of year negotiate hard for a room.

Gus

We did both Islands in one trip, about 5 years ago, basically from Cebu to Bantayan, stayed 4 nights at Budyong Beach resort, right on a beautiful beach.

white sand / coconut trees / hammocks etc.. beautiful !

We then went direct to Malapascua from Bantayan by local pump boat, thereby avoiding the Ferry/ habal habal / Bus / pump boat, scenario that confromted us.

Actually it was a long and not very comfortable trip, but we were fortunate that the seas were relatively calm.( though my g/f is not very adventurous when

it come to boats, and she did not relax at all)

We stayed 2 nights at Hippocampus owned and op'd by a German/ Phil couple. Then back to Cebu.

To summarize, we enjoyed Banatayan immensely, and have returned several times since, we really enjoy the beaches, swimming and peaceful atmosphere.

Personally wont return to Malapascua, beaches not so nice, and the entire focus appears to be on diving and when we were there,I seemed to be the only

non-german foreigner, who all came to dive, and hang together.

Nothing wrong with Malapasca really.. just not right for us. Bantayan will always be our dream location, it was our first trip together. Might end up

living there one day, if living close to the family in Toledo does not work out.

Good luck,

Gus

Candyman

I haven't been to Malapascua yet, but we spent a very enjoyable time on Bantayan for about ten days in 2009. I was very impressed with the whole island, and it ranks in the top three places I have seen in the Philippines so far. We spent most of the time at Santa Fe, but did several day trips to Bantayan town, and Madridejog in the north. We even witnessed the Easter parade in 2009 at Bantayan Town, and that was a real eye opener too. I like the laid back atmosphere of the whole place, and I could quite easily seeing myself retiring there !

SimplyGee

Malapascua!....is better...:cooking:

Love the mornings!

Ge :rolleyes: