Sign in to follow this  
digiteye

PC booting problem

digiteye

I have this PC shipped in a balikbayan box where it was sitting 2 months during the shipping. Yesterday I tried to use it for first after unpacking but it seems the bloody bitch died on me.

Its a relatively new PC, has a quad core Intel CPU 3 Ghz, (but not the i7 flavor yet) and a Gigabyte GA EP45 - DQ6 motherboard. Proper NVidia video card, etc.

When I turn on, there is a little red LED light up on the motherboard which I dont remember was there before. Then I see the BIOS starting but the furthest it could go was to show me: "verifying DMI pool data" then it stuck there and nothing happens - the fan gets to spin fast (but I dont see its too fast of anything)

I attach a pic of that screen below.

By attempts of restarting, most of the time it wont even go this far just stuck in the first screen of the BIOS and sometimes it recognizes all the 8Gb memory, sometimes only 2.

I have an Efix booting device installed in this PC which makes it a Hackintosh. While I have Win Vista installed on a separate disk, I only used this PC with Mac OSX and I never had any problem before.

The BIOS boot should be the same regardless, as the booting device kicks in later in the process (after this DMI pool thing). So the problem is not the booting device I think.

However it may matter that when I opened the side of the PC I noticed that the booting device was loose from its cable, maybe due to shaking. It is connected to an internal USB slot via its own cable, which was in place just the device (size is half of a cigarette pack or smaller) was loose on the bottom of the house.

There are no signs of external injuries on the housing, however I suspect there could be some loose parts due to shakes causing the problem. Before packing the thing worked fine, I had no problem.

I am not too good in fiddling with PC parts, so I did not touch anything, apart from placing the booting device back on its cable. I would appreciate if someone could take a look at this PC and get it fixed.

Thank you.

Edited by digiteye

shadow

Try unplugging all connections, one at a time, and then plugging them back in. Remove the memory and plug it back in firmly.

Often during shipment things vibrate loose.

Larry in Dumaguete

digiteye

Funny somehow I cant post pic, I try again now.

post-6719-0-85785600-1306722687_thumb.jpg

shadow

Funny somehow I cant post pic, I try again now.

screen.jpg

Check HD connections, and make sure HD is running. Maybe see if it will boot from disk?

LinD

USMC-Retired

Here is what I would do. Check all connections in the computer. The computer rattled around when it was shipped.

Start with the Video card remove it and put it back in. Do this for the memory also. Then I would check the HD connections as stated. I also would disconnect the CD connections while you are testing it. Thus you eliminate that from the boot cycle.

If you have a multimeter check the power on boot up to see that the power supply did not fail. Check the input to the HD. Should be about 5V. After this.

I would try a boot disk to see if you can then write to the HD. If you can not write to the HD or the HD fails to respond. Then I would pull the HD out and give it a very very light shake. If the head is stuck it my cause it thus trying to free it.

The worse case is the BIOS got corrupt. And the HD is good. However those are the steps to check where the failure occurs.

My opinion is that a hardware has come ajar during shipment. So make sure that all are seated and secure.

Shadow said exactly what I said almost to the letter. Not to plagiarize however that is the fix or determine what happen.

Edited by Norseman

alexccms

I agree.

It's too easy to work on these things. Don't be intimidated.

Open the case, ground yourself (touch the metal on the case), then

1) reseat (take them out and put them back in) the sticks of RAM,

2) reseat the video card (it's the one the monitor plugs into...)

3) if that doesn't help unplug then plugh back in the hard drive on the back of the hard drive as well as on the motherboard.

If none of that does it.... ask for help.

I used tomshardware.com for step by step tutorials on how to assemble PCs. I'm positive you can handle this much.

digiteye

Update: Norseman took the PC, got it tested inside out and finally figured it was one of the RAM-s that gave me this. There were stages as bad video card and he also replaced some small thingy in the power supply but eventually his tests have shown the bad memory. Now its running on lower memory count until I can get a replacement but it works.

I would like to mention here that Norseman was VERY helpful, he was profound and precise and FAST. The whole repair took him one day and he adjusted our meetings to my schedule, he was there on time.

I do not wish anyone having hardware problem, but once that happens, just find Norseman, he is the Man.

Thank you Norseman.

musicman666

i would add that a can of "3M tartan" from ace hardware is essential in cebu because of the high humidity.. it will overcome any oxidation of the contacts which may well be the cause ..even if you reaseat the components.

USMC-Retired

His lying little motherboard. It has a diagnostic Gigabit board. So when it has a failure certain lights light up. Well the Video card light kept lighting up and not turning off. So I had to test the video card. Nope not it. When it did go through the boot menu it showed it had 8gigs of Ram so I thought that could not be it. So I figured it was being under powered. Well dumbass me took the power supply out. Put it in my machine and stressed it. Popped a capacitor. Well his machine is better then mine and more powerful. Ah I thought a bleeding capacitor. So I opened up the power supply and soldered in a new one and checked the rest of it. Fixed right. Nope. I was pissed and confused at that point. So I deconstructed the computer one Ram one Video card and no HD's. That is it. Well it booted to the where it say no OS. Now we have progress. So now installing one component ( 4 raid devices and 4 HDs and 4 memory sticks) at a time restarting between each. Till I found that it has a memory leak in one of the moduals not a failure but a leak. Thus it shut down. Of course that was the last thing I tested. As I thought they were good.

It matters none it worked and that is all that matters.

digiteye

i would add that a can of "3M tartan" from ace hardware is essential in cebu because of the high humidity.. it will overcome any oxidation of the contacts which may well be the cause ..even if you reaseat the components.

I am ready to invest in this but have no idea what the heck 3M tartan would be.... Norseman... help :evan_iliadis:

I guess its a sealing of some sort, but the last thing I would do is to apply myself.

USMC-Retired

You had no corrosion. However it is a precaution maybe over the top. It was just a bad sim. It would have failed even without the travel.