Looks like I'll be moving to Cebu a little later this year

ZombieSS

Hello,

My name is Jeremy, 33yrs old and I'm most likely going to end up living in Cebu sometime in Sept of this year. I've been taking pay cuts and my current city isn't so good for Jobs (worst in the US right now). I'm an IT Manager/Network Admin/Engineer for my current company and have been given the option to work remotely. I've been trying to find a job outside of the US for around 2 years now and it looks like it's finally happening. I spent 3 weeks in Bicol/Manila in March/April with my Fiance (37yrs old) who is from the Philippines but lives in Hong Kong. Initially I'll just be in the Philippines on a tourist visa but will most likely seek residency after I'm married. I'm currently planning to visit Cebu for about 6 days during the middle of June to do some research on what area to live, try to find some doctors that will continue to write me prescriptions for opiate pain killers that I'm on here due to back problems, etc.

I've been lurking on this forum for a few days and decided I should post because this site has lots of information. I know what I'm planning on doing involves a lot of risk, but I'm up for the adventure and will be keeping my current residence in the US for at least 1 year while figuring things out. When I was on vacation in Bicol I stayed with my GFs family in a small farming village for two weeks. I wasn't sure how I'd adjust to such a change in life style but I had no problems and could have easily stayed a few months living like that. I plan to live a little better than that though but I'm not much of a party person. I really enjoyed the people the most, much more social vs here in Las Vegas where no one knows their neighbors.

I guess it just comes down to the fact I want to try something different and see if I like it. I was even applying for contracting jobs in war zones because I wanted to try something different (and was also single). I really wanted to live in Hong Kong at one point, but the cost of living there is out of control. I never though I'd want to experience living outside of the USA, but after spending 1-2 months a year in Hong Kong since 2007 I started to see how much more is out there and got a strong desire to see/experience more. After I visited the Philippines earlier this year I was determined to try and live there at some point. My girlfriend would also prefer if we were able to live in the Philippines for a few years and eventually retire there instead of her coming to the US so this works out pretty well for both of us and keeps the pressure off us to marry right away.

I don't have firm travel dates yet, but if there are groups of expats that meet up I'd love to attend one if there is one going on when I'm visiting. My biggest concern is finding a decent doctor to help manage my pain level. I read the medical forum here but didn't find much info on a situation like mine or even locating a good doctor. If anyone here has a recommendation a message would be much appreciated.

Thanks for reading,

Jeremy

P.S. I'm not doing this totally blind and am doing lots of research. I've done several pick up and move to a new location moves before but only in the US so I know I'm going to have some challenges to overcome.

Dave and Chona

Rather live in Cebu doing IT than going to a war zone with a bad back !!!!!!!!!!!

sandwindstars

Good luck. I guess you're in the right industry, and a good option. Hope things work out.

ZombieSS

Rather live in Cebu doing IT than going to a war zone with a bad back !!!!!!!!!!!

Yes and no, the difference in pay is over 200,000 USD :D War zone pay for contractors is sky high. When I was looking 1.5 yrs ago my back wasn't as bad as it is now, I'm falling apart fast LOL. Good news is I seem to better in warm humid climates.

I think Cebu is a nice alternative though. A lot more comfortable.