Sign in to follow this  
SkyMan

How many dead expats are living in Cebu or whereever?

USMC-Retired
We have a visa client who entered the military at age 17. 3 years later he was blind, and has been on 100% SCD ever since. He has never had a CD, stock, or bond. Now, at age 50, he is trying to petition his wife to the USA.

This is the key to this. Though I do not have to file without filing it makes the petition that much harder.

Jess Bartone

I told my wife, just bury me in the back yard or better yet take me to a pig farm, keep the checks coming. But You know how women or here she will have a 30 day feast for all the people in our Barangy and have a long funereal procession ,throwing out money as they head for the Digs ,then serve them red horse and tuba all month ,,,,haaaaaaaaaa oh well i dead who cares!!!!

thats-funny.gif I love your spirit Tonny, excellent post, keep it up and you'll live to 100.

lazydays

Not as easy as it sounds unless your death is kept secret,and she secretly buried you in the back yard.

Most spouses would automatically call a doctor,then the doctor would more than likely inform the authorities,similar if you die in hospital or accident.

Being a foreigner the authorities would inform the relevant Embassy,and hand over your passport.

BTW,it is illegal and a spouse can be prosecuted if she draws on a Joint PH Bank Account before the death formalities are completed,something to be aware of.

(I read that somewhere,long time ago).

John B

If SS is your only income, it is not enough to require you to file a tax return. I did not file for several years and then the give away came up and I filed and received my money.

I had an american dollar direct deposit account here in Cebu. The next years program came out and it was paid only to people residing in the US. Changed my account to California and got my payment.

Not sure about a direct deposit SS account in the states, but such an account in the Philippines (as dictated by SS rules) only the recipients name is on the account and ALL withdrawals MUST be made IN PERSON.

The other difficulty is what does she do with the body? If the authorities find out you died and the American Consulate is notified, you benefit is stopped. I have hear4d of several instances where the US Government sued here to recover money received fraudulently. I doubt with much success of recovering any assets, but it can happen.

If you could put her name on an account in the states, my account is direct deposit with checking, then IF SHE COULD HIDE YOUR DEATH, continue to write checks and deposit in an American dollar account here.

I am not sure, but I think ordinary US Dollar accounts can have a Filipinas' name on them. Needs to be checked with the bank you use.

RogerDuMond

How long can you hide a death when you have to check in with Philippine Immigration?

Wombat No More

Ok for a US citizen Roger but in my situation and on my death, my family will get... BUGGER ALL except I think about A$3K from Vets Affairs for burial... If I took the wife to Oz and she waited the three years to become a citizen, she would be eligible, on my death, to... BUGGER ALL!... My Vets Affairs pension stops with me and also a Dept of Defence compo salary... The wife cannot claim a single razoo (cent) from the Aussie Govt if she lives outside the country. In Oz she can claim a single mother pension from SS but she would have to get to Oz first. Unlike you blokes from the US of A, we also get... BUGGER ALL if we have kids here in the Phils, even if they are also Aussie citizens, like mine, and also like one of mine, born in Australia. The wife is still 33 years short of the future old age pension which will kick in at age 67 from 2017. When she hits that age I will have clicked over 91 (?). I do have an "accidental death" insurance policy and I suppose I'm in the right place to ensure I died "accidently".

This is an excellent argument for taking your wife to the US long enough to become a citizen so that she can be eligible to receive your Social Security when she is old enough even if she doesn't work there.

Edited by WombatPhil

Headshot

This is an excellent argument for taking your wife to the US long enough to become a citizen so that she can be eligible to receive your Social Security when she is old enough even if she doesn't work there.

Thanks for the laugh, Roger. And just what is she supposed to live on until she is 67 (or whatever the age is then)? In my case, I signed my new wife up for the Survivor's Benefit Plan for my US military retirement. That way, she doesn't have to do anything illegal to keep getting a check. Also, when I start drawing my Social Security checks, my children (under 18) will also be eligible for SS benefits (of their own). Those benefits will last until they turn 18, regardless of whether or not I'm still alive. When you marry somebody (especially somebody much younger than you), you should figure out in advance how they will be supported after you die. To do otherwise is pretty irresponsible in my book.

lazydays

Ok for a US citizen Roger but in my situation and on my death, my family will get... BUGGER ALL except I think about A$3K from Vets Affairs for burial... If I took the wife to Oz and she waited the three years to become a citizen, she would be eligible, on my death, to... BUGGER ALL!... My Vets Affairs pension stops with me and also a Dept of Defence compo salary... The wife cannot claim a single razoo (cent) from the Aussie Govt if she lives outside the country. In Oz she can claim a single mother pension from SS but she would have to get to Oz first. Unlike you blokes from the US of A, we also get... BUGGER ALL if we have kids here in the Phils, even if they are also Aussie citizens, like mine, and also like one of mine, born in Australia. The wife is still 33 years short of the future old age pension which will kick in at age 67 from 2017. When she hits that age I will have clicked over 91 (?). I do have an "accidental death" insurance policy and I suppose I'm in the right place to ensure I died "accidently".

Many similarities there with the UK,the yanks have a charmed life,Lol.

Wombat No More

That's why Wombat's Womb Cafe' is coming into being soon... I've spent everything I have for the last 4+ years and continuing to do so every pension day, to get this up and running... and then I can relax a little as I know my family will be ok financially if I kick the bucket.

When you marry somebody (especially somebody much younger than you), you should figure out in advance how they will be supported after you die. To do otherwise is pretty irresponsible in my book.

RogerDuMond

Thanks for the laugh, Roger. And just what is she supposed to live on until she is 67 (or whatever the age is then)?

When you marry somebody (especially somebody much younger than you), you should figure out in advance how they will be supported after you die. To do otherwise is pretty irresponsible in my book.

The age that a surviving spouse can start drawing on your Social Security is 60.

Maybe work as long as she is here? My wife will be eligible for her own SS in the amount of about $1900 at todays rates, she also puts $150 per week into a matching 401k, and $50 per week into an IRA. She will also have a retirement plan from her work.

I will leave her enough to live comfortably on, but she won't need it.

SkyMan

How long can you hide a death when you have to check in with Philippine Immigration?

Probably decades. I've never heard of the BI coming after someone who didn't check in. It's only when they go to do something else that the BI notices the failure.