Sign in to follow this  
SkyMan

How many dead expats are living in Cebu or whereever?

SkyMan

I put this in the "LinC" forum (and no, it's not a joke) but really it applies to LinP or LinSEAsia for that matter. I find it odd this hasn't been discussed before or maybe I just missed it?

Here's the deal. Many of us are pensioners whether a pension from a country or from a company. We get a check(s) periodically just for breathing. We support ourselves and our families based on those checks. And then one day we stop breathing. Sooner or later, that's it, Father has called us home. Now I'm pretty sure the asawa is supposed to jump up and shout to the world this news but if she just keeps her mouth shut the checks will continue. I have a friend who receives a pension from his union and annually he has to fax them a signed form to show he's still alive. How hard would it be for him to presign the next 20 years forms or for her to photoshop his sig onto the new document? With that pension he doesn't make enough to pay taxes so no need to file but it wouldn't be hard to teach her how to file if need be. I just wonder about how many wives are here live on pensions for the dead?

TJ

tom_shor

If he is from the US he should know he is required to file tax returns even if he owes nothing.

As to the main question I am sure there are a few. They would certainly never admit it on an open forum if they have any sense.

shadow

If he is from the US he should know he is required to file tax returns even if he owes nothing.

As to the main question I am sure there are a few. They would certainly never admit it on an open forum if they have any sense.

That is not true. In 2010, a single person earning less than $9350 and under the age of 65 is not required to file a tax return. There are many other instances as well, such as someone who has never had taxable income CANNOT file a tax return.

Larry in Dumaguete

Edited by shadow

tom_shor

That is not true. In 2010, a single person earning less than $9350 and under the age of 65 is not required to file a tax return. There are many other instances as well, such as someone who has never had taxable income CANNOT file a tax return.

Larry in Dumaguete

My Bad.

Who doesn't have taxable income? The government taxes everything.

Wombat No More

I am in a painful medical situation, disabling me permanently from the workforce at 35, and caused by the total incompetence, lack of training of supervisors and lack of safety equipment (and any care about such things) while serving in the Australian military from 17 years old to 23. I am now 58.

Without the intervention of the total military numnuts who directly caused my injuries, I would most probably be fit and healthy and earning shit loads of money. My disability has severely curtailed my ability to earn to my potential, thus I have lost a real lot of potential earnings over the decades. I am a bitter man from this and also the fact that as a very fit and excellent sportsman and in rigorous training in a martial art for many years which was also my main passion and another source of income perhaps, it was all taken from me by dumb decisions to force me to lift and move very heavy objects alone and under the threat of being charged and gaoled if I didn't get on with it, even though I appealed that the job needed another man and there were no lifting devices or other aids. To rub salt into the wound so to speak, I was referred to as a malingerer and this obviously was passed on to my subsequent postings in Australia as I continued to have problems with dickheads with rank.

So, if I kicked it mate, I would applaud my missus, from the grave, if she did what you suggested and continued to accept my pension... The bastards deserve every penny I can get out of them, ripped from their guts. I think that answers you from my point of view mate.

At least I can still laugh loudly and often and make others laugh often also with a quick wit and sense of humour (spelling you Yanks). I find laughter to be a very important factor in life and it especially melts away the bitterness I feel often for the situation I ended up in through the idiosyncrasies of others. Ooroo mugs (I'm the biggest mug here)

Edited by WombatPhil

Cary

This scheme is not only for pension checks I, sadly have known friends who were on welfare and they and their families intentionally lied so that they could continue to get the checks. Its a sad fact the people think its easy free money when its actually the hard earned money from people like me and others who worked at night, weekends and holidays to help support our families and then the government, any government then takes its cut through taxes and we live off of whats left. And for you guys on pensions and retirement, you put in the years and you deserve to get what you were promised. I can only hope when my times comes my family will do the right thing and notify whomever.

shadow

My Bad.

SS is not taxable income. How many here are on SS?

We have a visa client who entered the military at age 17. 3 years later he was blind, and has been on 100% SCD ever since. He has never had a CD, stock, or bond. Now, at age 50, he is trying to petition his wife to the USA.

The embassy wants a tax return, but he cannot file as he has never had taxable income.

My income in/from the US for over 8 years has been zero. All Philippine entities are registered in the Philippines in only my wife's name, subject to Philippines taxes.

I have no taxable income.

MANY more people do not have to file tax returns. Many on SS do not need to, and as such many started filing again in 2007 simply to avail of the stimulus package. I helped several of them myself to file after years of not doing so.

Years ago, when I was working, I used to go several years at a time between filings. When I did file again, not only did I get a tax refund for all the years I had not filed, they paid me interest as well. One such episode in particular (1983) it came to enough to purchase a brand new Yamaha Virago. Just like money in the bank!

Larry in Dumaguete

Wombat No More

Perhaps I should have said that I have given no indication to my wife except that on my death she is to inform the Aussie Govt dept that pays me... Even though I know how easy it is to cheat the bastards. Anyway, I have 2 pensions, both from military sources and both for medical disabilities caused by my service. One of them is taxed as an income so I haven't stopped paying taxes myself mate. Another reason, and the main one, for building Wombat's Womb Cafe' and that is to specifically provide my family with an income if I kick the bucket.

I don't like welfare cheats either and it won't happen from me but as I said above, if the the missus rips money out of the bastards who caused my medical demise, I would applaude her from the grave. But I've told her the opposite.

Righto, next storyteller up!

This scheme is not only for pension checks I, sadly have known friends who were on welfare and they and their families intentionally lied so that they could continue to get the checks. Its a sad fact the people think its easy free money when its actually the hard earned money from people like me and others who worked at night, weekends and holidays to help support our families and then the government, any government then takes its cut through taxes and we live off of whats left. And for you guys on pensions and retirement, you put in the years and you deserve to get what you were promised. I can only hope when my times comes my family will do the right thing and notify whomever.

mpt1947

My Bad.

VA Disability is non taxable. SS may or may not be taxable, but my standard deduction would take care of any tax I owe anyway.

Regarding forms from Union - they send me a new form every year - that has the Date(s) filled in and other information - it is a new form - so I can't make copies and pre-sign them -

Edited by mpt1947

tonny

I told my wife ,just bury me in the back yard or better yet take me to a pig farm,keep the checks coming. But You know how women or here she will have a 30 day feast for all the people in our Barangy and have a long funereal procession ,throwing out money as they head for the Digs ,then serve them red horse and tuba all month ,,,,haaaaaaaaaa oh well i dead who cares!!!!

Edited by tonny
  • Like 1

tom_shor

VA Disability is non taxable. SS may or may not be taxable, but my standard deduction would take care of any tax I owe anyway.

Regarding forms from Union - they send me a new form every year - that has the Date(s) filled in and other information - it is a new form - so I can't make copies and pre-sign them -

So you just have to sign it? That shouldn't be a problem I am sure someone around could take care of that.

RogerDuMond

This is an excellent argument for taking your wife to the US long enough to become a citizen so that she can be eligible to receive your Social Security when she is old enough even if she doesn't work there.

Mandingo

This is an excellent argument for taking your wife to the US long enough to become a citizen so that she can be eligible to receive your Social Security when she is old enough even if she doesn't work there.

That is a very good point and is something that I have done. My wife, besides having her own SS, company pension and 401K from working here is only a few years younger than I am so she can draw from mine legally when the that time comes.

lifeisgood

SS is not taxable income. How many here are on SS?

That depends on how much you make total. If you have additional income it can become taxable if you make more than 25k single or 32k married. Saying it isn't taxable can be somewhat misleading.

http://www.irs.gov/n...=179091,00.html

So basically this thread is about lying. I don't know... maybe people should think about this stuff prior to getting married. Heck,maybe you will be added the the record book for being the oldest man in history.

Edited by lifeisgood

Julian C Thong

In the UK, as all pension payments are taxed at source by the pension provider you don't need to sign a tax return. Indeed, after several years of showing low income the tax authorities confirm you don't need to do returns at all as all banks and whatever who pay interest have to deduct tax at source as well. The UK is well sorted on the tax front.

This is a very good question and I cannot say it hasn't crossed my mind. I took one of my private pensions 4 years ago and hope I live long enough to get my state pension in 4 years time. As regards the former, I have not been asked to prove my exsistance since they started paying me.

Now here comes the tricky bit. I had just divorced when I took the pension, or what was left of it!, and so chose not to provide for a partner after death so as to maximise payments but I now have a SO and in this context it is irrelevant if I marry or not, it's too late. Similarly with the state pension, the UK have withdrawn the provision to pay the surviving spouse, so after I pop my clogs my SO is on her own.

If I live to 80, fair enough, she'll have enough stuff around her to survive but if it's in a few years?

In my mind this is not a question of tax dodging or benefit scroungers but about responsiblity to those dear to you. Am I the only one who thinks in that way?