Sign in to follow this  
alexccms

Moalboal Beach/Snorkeling Trip

alexccms

I'd read about resorts in Moalboal online. Many people recommended HK Resort in Saavedra (White beach or Bas Daku, all basically synonymous for the same area). I didn't find a contact number for them so we headed for Moalboal from Talisay around 3:30 on Thursday afternoon. I wanted to get there before the weekend rush and before dark since I'd never been there before and didn't want to stumble around in the dark looking for a place to sleep.

The drive between Carcar and Dumanjug is pretty nice, a few switchbacks across the mountains and plenty of scenery. It was just me, my wife, the baby, and Mare(mother in law) in the car on the way over there.

DSC00896.jpg

We did take a wrong turn in Moalboal and ended up in Panagsama. Then the locals pointed us towards Saavedra on a very bad road (all unpaved roads are bad in my little Honda CITY). We should have gone back to the highway first, then to Saavedra, it would have been paved the whole way. So, if you're going to Saavedra turn right across from the sign that says Barangay Poblacion East, if you're going to Panagsama, take the next right.

We arrived at HK and were given Rm. 1. Joey, the manager was very nice. He said he'd check the reservations and move people around so we could keep that room as long as we wanted. It had two big beds, a big C.R., aircon and was only about 10-20 meters from the beach depending on the tide. Outside the room in our patio area there was a full size refrigerator, a sink, three tables and lots of chairs that were for our exclusive use. Outside the patio lots of benches, barbecue pits, and swings. The grounds have lots of shade provided by banaba trees, and as I later found out the restaurant has a great breeze and view of the sea.

DSC00559.jpg

We went into the water on the first day after getting settled. The tide was very low and we were able to just walk on the reef, the depth of the water was maybe 2 feet. I tried picking up a sea urchin with bare hands and got stuck, phew that smarts.

bbyswim.jpg

By the time we wanted to eat we realized we forgot the cord for our rice cooker, and didn't have any uling for our calan (no fuel for our fire ring). So we ordered from the restaurant and they served us in our patio. The food was tasty, but a bit expensive by Filipino standards. Plus they put shrimp in the Chop Suey... I hate when they do that, I'm allergic. I expect it to be a vegetable dish, it happened at Alta Vista during my wedding reception too (and they'd been told already that I was allergic). From now on I'll ask.

The room was P2,000 per night. They had cheaper, smaller, and non-aircon available as well. The next day we did some snorkeling. The wife's first time. After our morning swim we went to the market in Moalboal. Picked up some uling(charcoal), couldn't find a cord for the rice cooker. But we bought a small pot and used that for the next couple of days. They didn't mind us cooking on the patio. They didn't mind us bringing our own food. Iloved this. With my wife's mom there (helping with the baby and cooking) it was nice to save money and have home cooking. Not being pressured into using the restaurant at the resort is a must and I hope for all future accommodations to be as... accommodating.

On Saturday my father-in-law, brother-in-law, his girlfriend, Lola, and a little girl they baby-sit showed up. We had told my wife's brother that he'd be paying his own way. The cheapest room was 1,500 and I didn't want him to go broke (having just finished college and gotten his first real job) so I let them stay on our floor. Joey didn't mind. We had nine people stayingin this room. Oh, Pop (as I call myfather in law) brought the cord for the rice cooker.

One of the sponsors at our wedding (our Ninong and Ninang) showed up on Saturday too. They had our Ninang's sister in law and her kids with them (which included an uncomfortably attractive daughter) as well as their own two children. They'd reserved room 2, but ended up getting put in room 3. It's too bad, we'd have had more fun if we were directly adjoined. If I'd had the forethought I'd have let Joey know they were in our party and requested him not to give out room 2 right away as he did.

On Sunday my brother in law and his GF took a nap on one of the beds. So Mare and the baby were napping on our bed. When my wife and I came in Mare got up and gave us the bed (without asking, she's verythoughtful)... stuck me and the wife with the baby. This pissed me off. Mare wanted a nap but she had to get up. And me & the missus wanted some cuddletime but got stuck with the fussy baby. I had to wake up my brother in law and his GF and tell them to either get their own room or use the floor as we had agreed. I told him that his mother was tired and had to get up when we came in. He moved without a fuss.

I spent most of my time snorkeling or resting, I rented some fins (had my own mask and goggles) form a dive shop in Panagsama. The resort had some but they were small. Letty at the dive center said I could pay now or later, no deposit, no ID... lol. What a sweetheart, just trusted me. I went ahead and paid 2 days in advance and said I might keep them a third, which I did. The water was great and I took an old waterproof camera that I own (though the viewfinder was broken so no zoom, just aim and shoot, then crop later).

P5211014.jpg

P5221028.jpg

P5200985.jpg

Sunday I was snorkeling alone (and without my camera) in the afternoon as the tide was going out. Isaw a banded sea snake about 12-15 meters away digging in an expanse of sand between two corals. I'd hoped not to see any sea snakes, just like I'd prefer not to run into any sharks. I was getting tired and with the tide coming out I decided to head in. It seems the lower the water level the more you get stung by corals or jellyfish.

On my way in I saw some other guys snorkeling just off thereef and decided to turn around and see what they were looking at. So I headed again for deeper water, but found myself uncomfortably close to the corals so I changed my mind again and headed back to the beach. Just as I turned around that last time I saw a much bigger sea snake much closer up, less thantwo meters away. In very shallow water with me. I hauled ass towards land and was pretty shaken up by the whole encounter(s). Couldn't stop dreaming about them that night, lol.

It was the only time I'd seen them, I saw two within 10 minutes. Maybe they hunt in the afternoon as the tide drops. I tried to be much more cautious of my surroundings on future dives. I know they have small teeth and are not particularly aggressive towards humans. But they're not particularly afraid of us either and are very poisonous.

On one of our trips to town we went the 2.5km out of the way on the road to Saavedra to the Marine Sanctuary. It was very pretty there. There were some kids jumping off some rocks into the water and it looked nice. There were some teenage boys lurking about as well, there's an old overturned boat hull there that I think is their clubhouse.

On Saturday when I picked up the Pop and Lola at the bus stop we ran by the market and picked up a big jug of Tuba. It was my first time drinking it and it's the only thing Lola will drink. Got her drunk and the girls had lots of fun with her.

On Sunday Pop ordered 4 native chickens. My wife paid for half. I told her that I'd already bought plenty of food for Sunday and that if wasn't enough Pop could pay for his own order (for future reference, I didn't ask for the money back). So the guy that brought the chickens was a friend of Pop's from work. He spend the next 10 hours or so getting Pop shitfaced on Red Horse (which I didn't appreciate) and talking really loud and being obnoxious (not used to having my wife ogled so much at family get togethers). After Pop passed out his friend nursed the last bottle for a couple of more hours before finally feeling uncomfortable and out of place enough to drive his drunk ass back to Dumanjug.

They had tried to get me to join them. I agreed to one shot (half a shortglass). I'd drink half then they'd fill it back up. After the third time they filled it back up I chugged it and took the glass away. Pop later found the glass, said "onemore shot" and I said go ahead (I thought he meant for himself). Then he set the glass down and pretended the shot was mine. I left the glass where it lay. If I'm gonna get drunk it's not gonna be on that rot gut redhorse. I've only had one hangover in my life that lasted longer than 24 hours. That was the last time I'll ever get drunk on redhorse (sometime last year before our wedding).

Pop, Kuya, & his GF left early Monday morning for work. I'd offered to take Lola back with us so she could sleep in. She said "I'll ride with you if you take me home first before going to your house." I was like WTF? I'm offering to do YOU a favor and you think you can put conditions on it? Lol. It served me fine because I was anxious toget the baby home again and start the process of unspoiling her (she'd been carried and slept in people's arms for 5 days).

One more trip out snorkeling before we checked out. As I was walking down the few stairs to thebeach I recognized two guys from my subdivision just a couple of steps in front of me. I said hi and we chatted a bit. I told them about the two sea snakes I'd seen the day before.

P5211023.jpg

P5200983.jpg

P5221048.jpg

The wife was getting quite competent and braver. She made it out the reef drop-off and really enjoyed herself. I didn't take my watch with me and we ended up only starting to pack at 11:45. No problem said Joey. On the trip back I asked if anyone wanted ice cream as we were passing the Milk Station. Lola said I could buy her ice cream in Carcar. I just laughed and kept driving. There she went again putting conditions on favors I would have done for her. By the time we got to Naga the baby was screaming. Hungry, poopy, whatever. The ladies said, ok ok.. go to your home first. So we did and they did a fine job unpacking and putting stuff away while I showered. The baby seemed very pleased to be back home. It was her first time spending even a night away from home, must have felt nice to back in her own bed.

We had a very nice time. The place is quiet and beautiful. I want to go on another trip soon that will hopefully include more snorkeling. I'm thinking Bohol,but I'm concerned about resorts not letting us cook our own food, then getting bent out of shape if Pop and Kuya join us again on their day off. I sure the hell don't want to buy resort food for a week.

Edited by Admin
fixed format.

alexccms

OMG, every time I edit this thing the spacing and pictures get screwed up. It's HK Resort, not KH

Paul

Excellent write up, thanks for doing it.

OMG, every time I edit this thing the spacing and pictures get screwed up. It's HK Resort, not KH

PM me, or post here any changes you want done. I will sort the HK issue now.

I can clean up the thread afterward.

Edited by Admin

Bob Ward

Like most snakes, don't bother them and they won't bother you. Nice write up!

easy44

Great report. Thanks!

Athena

Thank you, that's quite interesting report and very informative. That info about not only being able to bring food but are also allowed to cook food in your accommodation was the most helpful as understandably not many resort would allow you to do that. And if you bring your extended family with you on holiday

tim

great review thanks for the report