Sign in to follow this  
billten

Bodo's Bamboo Bar and Resort

billten

Had the chance to get away for a quick day trip last week. Krissy found this place on the net:

http://www.bbb-alcoy.com/

it looked good so we decided to drive down for the day to relax by the pool.

The place is very easy to find, as you drive into Alcoy there is a huge sign on the right close to their entrance (and very steep driveway). Once you get in, park and pay the day fee, p100 per swimming adult and p50 per swimming kid (i.e. a group of 6 of us paid p300 as we had only two adults and two kids who were going to swim). So the place is absolutely spotless, manicured grass, very nice and sparkling clean washrooms, all the facilities were top notch. View is amazing, all in all very nice. Pool is lovely, very clean and not too strong chlorine, the jacuzzi is a bit stronger chlorine, but that's cool for a jacuzzi.

Anyhow, had a great time swimming and loafing around, now its time for lunch. Ordered a barkada size pizza, large salad and spaghetti. Food arrives with the mango shakes, water and soda's. This was the best pizza i have had for a long time. Really massive, its a huge rectangle of 24 pieces and all mozzarella cheese, really yummy, salad is excellent and the spaghetti is European style, not the sweet sticky Pinoy style. So we ate and ate and ate some more till the pizza was done ;-)

Back to the pool and relax, swim, loaf some more.

About 3pm we settle the bill. For the day, the food and drinks the total was p1,050, i think that is amazing value.

Bottom line, if you are heading down the South-East coast for the day or looking for a place to stay over for a few days. I give this place a big recommendation.

BTW, the restaurant was constantly busy. Seems to be a very popular place to eat in Alcoy.

Panserhansen

I totally agree. I've been staying there before, as well as eating lunch. The rooms are also spotless. For some reason, the cheapest fan rooms will give you the best view. Aircon 1600, fan rooms 1300 last time I checked. Just have in mind they have a corkage fee if you bring outside drinks or food. Prices are quite reasonable there and I recall they had a nice selection of wine as well. Great place to stop if you're traveling, and also a nice destination itself.

Bob Ward

Same here! There is only one thing to take heed of. The is not much to do in the area besides relax. There is a small dive shop near there if you want to partake. There is also a mini beach which is decent.

easy44

I have eaten lunch at Bodo's several times but never stayed in their rooms. I agree that the restaurant is very nice and the food pretty good. The building itself is really nicely done and I would love to have a house built in a similar style. Unfortunately the German owner is rude and condescending, but if you don't have to talk to him everything is fine.

Bob Ward

I have eaten lunch at Bodo's several times but never stayed in their rooms. I agree that the restaurant is very nice and the food pretty good. The building itself is really nicely done and I would love to have a house built in a similar style. Unfortunately the German owner is rude and condescending, but if you don't have to talk to him everything is fine.

The owner is not the friendliest person on the planet, UNLESS you are German/European, so know that going in!!!!

easy44

The owner is not the friendliest person on the planet, UNLESS you are German/European, so know that going in!!!!

Yeah, I found that out. Apparently he has a burr up his ass about Americans.

SkyMan

Agree with all the above. Stayed in a fan room one night. Very nice.

Stranded Shipscook

Yeah, I found that out. Apparently he has a burr up his ass about Americans.

That is unfortunately a very wide spread prejudice among many of my German "kababayans". They tend to mix politics with people. Which has absolutely nothing to do with one another. Mostly they are rude to me either because i defend this (my) above priniciple and voice out my opinion about that I Like Americans. Then they are rude to me too and view me as a kind of "traitor"...LOL.

But the place and food is very good and an excellent value, thats what counts, never mind the owner(s). Just enjoy that they worked their ass off to keep it tidy and in good condition.

BossHog

Who knows the reason?

Maybe his granny took a few Hershey bars in exchange for some favors back in the day.

I'll make sure not and visit anytime soon.

It's astounding how many expats in the "hospitality" industry are better suited to...ummm.... anything that doesn't involve hospitality.

That being said, I do irritate my wife in the Cebu supermarkets by pretending to be German and yelling in a loud voice about "zee quality of zee adult di-a-pers! In Chairman vee haff zee best quality adult di-a-pers!!"

easy44

Who knows the reason?

Maybe his granny took a few Hershey bars in exchange for some favors back in the day.

It's astounding how many expats in the "hospitality" industry are better suited to...ummm.... anything that doesn't involve hospitality.

That being said, I do irritate my wife in the Cebu supermarkets by pretending to be German and yelling in a loud voice about "zee quality of zee adult di-a-pers! In Chairman vee haff zee best quality adult di-a-pers!!"

Actually, in spite of the owner's attitude, I would still recommend the restaurant. Chances are you won't bump into him anyway.

Stranded Shipscook

Who knows the reason?

naaa, the War is never a reason. Germans are very happy to have "lost" it. ( Logically, imagine the other options of living in a totalitarian world, right?) Otherwise they would be also having an attitude towards the other allies, right ?

There are many other (invalid) reasons, but that is not on topic and making one out of it, is not for me to decide.

it is true, that some Expats are not very "hospital", in fact the number is pretty large, but most of them are wise enough not to show themselve around in public. Most professinonal cooks for example are the grumpiest individuals you could imagine, nationality aside.

It is never a good idea to ask for the "chef" himself, if you ever get one presented, t i mostly an "underling", coz coks are "primadonnas". (exemptions allowed)

However, in the hospitalty industry only the service personal has to be nice, behind the scenes it doesn't matter.

(exemption again in Germany, where grumpy, but funny, waitresses are very common. Sort of a national style thing. But their Service is superior and fast, just don't expect them to smile. I had the same impression with Lufthansa Stewardesses too.)

But what puzzles me, is that this 'golden rule" is seldom seen in the Phil's, the grumpy owners show themselves openly around and one wonders really.

Back to topic... as said, "BBB" is a well run place, and maybe one day Bodo even overcomes his sometimes Grumpy days. he is only seldom that way, and who really cares when everything else is A1. He doesn't force himself upon the guests, so its ok.

Bob Ward

Who knows the reason?

No wonder why they are prejudiced against us!!!

Edited by Bob Ward

digiteye

Back to topic... as said, "BBB" is a well run place, and maybe one day Bodo even overcomes his sometimes Grumpy days. he is only seldom that way, and who really cares when everything else is A1. He doesn't force himself upon the guests, so its ok.

I don't want to ruin the party but A1 (according to my own experience) is grossly overrated. I wont share much of the details (perhaps they had a bad day in the kitchen) - I just ask you Guenther, what would you think if the meat on the plate is so salty that its simply not edible? When do people in the kitchen over salt meat? You know the answer, and so do I.

What would you think if a 250 peso pork Schnitzel comes out with black burned spots on the breadcrumb (half of the surface) and the other half of the breadcrumb is missing? It was on the same day, at the same table and with the same order. Enough for me not to go again.

The grass is well-manicured, I have to admit.

easy44

I don't want to ruin the party but A1 (according to my own experience) is grossly overrated. I wont share much of the details (perhaps they had a bad day in the kitchen) - I just ask you Guenther, what would you think if the meat on the plate is so salty that its simply not edible? When do people in the kitchen over salt meat? You know the answer, and so do I.

What would you think if a 250 peso pork Schnitzel comes out with black burned spots on the breadcrumb (half of the surface) and the other half of the breadcrumb is missing? It was on the same day, at the same table and with the same order. Enough for me not to go again.

The grass is well-manicured, I have to admit.

I also ordered schnitzel which was a bit dry so I asked if they had some gravy I could put on it. The owner informed me that you don't put gravy on schnitzel, they don't have any, and only an American could be so stupid as to do so. (Not in those exact words, but that's the way it came across.) Other food I have had there has been ok. Just don't order the schnitzel. LOL