Joint bank account?

Unfortunately I am not a resident nor am I yet married so I guess it will be a no no for me for a personal account.

Hi,

By "not a resident" do you mean you have no address here? Or are you referring to visa status?

I opened a BPI account as soon as I knew I'd be staying. I was still on tourist status and didn't anything more than a passport and lease contract. They gave me both checking and savings accounts.

But at any rate, your question is about opening a joint account, and you want an ATM card. I believe you chose BPI because your wife-to-be is at BPI. Take a look at BPI Direct, at www.bpidirect.com.

I clicked the "open a deposit account" link just to see what would happen. There were options for opening a Joint Account for people located Outside of Philippines. The Express Teller account was an option too, which would give you the ATM card. However for opening a joint account both applicants should be based in the same location.

Good luck and congrats,

J

Edited by Jerome
  • Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• drogon

• ancienrocka

• Jerome

• batman2525

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

joint account ..the true litmus test of a marriage!

munchkin

Hello

Thanks for the answers, I got misunderstood (have to put that on my bad English).

We are not married yet, but we wish to open a joint bank account.

Of course she would also have a card if possible but the important thing is for me to get an ATM card since this account will be used for the wedding expenses and other costs as well.

Asking about the card since back here a joint account means only one card (and for a secondary card you sometimes have to dish up to the equivalent of 5K piso)....

The main point, in this case, being allowed to open a joint account without me being a resident and not being married yet.

Basically I don't see myself carrying 400K piso in cash on me all the time nor do I wish to make a wire transfer to her account since it would mean paying at least 15K piso in commissions and fees........and neither do I wish to use my own overseas ATM, debit/credit cards since the commissions/fees are also ridiculous + the amounts I can take at the ATM are also far too low and this is too much hassle anyway

hello, my accounts aew at RCBC savings at the talisay branch. on my tourists visa, i have a dollar account, peso checking account<which i made a joint account at a later date and a credit card. they have been very helpful to my needs.

if you wish, i will get you an intro.

munchkin

lazydays

Thank you for the tips. Unfortunately I am not a resident nor am I yet married so I guess it will be a no no for me for a personal account.

Unfortunately citi here charges huge commissions if I withdraw in a foreign country and so do all my other cards....

Thanks for xoom will see if it is available in Europe

Unfortunately Xoom is now only available to those with US bank accounts.

ancienrocka

Thank you for the tips. Unfortunately I am not a resident nor am I yet married so I guess it will be a no no for me for a personal account.

Unfortunately citi here charges huge commissions if I withdraw in a foreign country and so do all my other cards....

Thanks for xoom will see if it is available in Europe

We have opened many sole accounts for people on tourist visas again at the BPI. If you are able to PM me I'll give you the phone number of the person that we contact there. or email me at [email protected]

Paul

sandwindstars

Foreigners cannot open a peso account only. They first have to have a foreign account, then transfer to the peso account. At HSBC, I have two ATM cards: one for USD and the other for Peso. You can have the USD ATM card, and your gf the Peso account ATM. You can transfer online from USD to Peso, or at the branch accordingly. It's basically your account under your control, but your gf can still access the pesos when she needs them.

Paul

Foreigners cannot open a peso account only. They first have to have a foreign account, then transfer to the peso account. At HSBC, I have two ATM cards: one for USD and the other for Peso. You can have the USD ATM card, and your gf the Peso account ATM. You can transfer online from USD to Peso, or at the branch accordingly. It's basically your account under your control, but your gf can still access the pesos when she needs them.

This, simply put, is not true. I have several Philippine Peso accounts, in different banks.

Foreigners cannot open a peso account only. They first have to have a foreign account, then transfer to the peso account.

I've opened three sole-owner peso accounts at three different banks as a foreigner on merely a tourist visa. Each time it was a non-event. Didn't seem that I was bending any rules. I'll give branch names via PM for anybody in need.

J

sandwindstars

This, simply put, is not true. I have several Philippine Peso accounts, in different banks.

Ooops....I missed one important information, unless one has ACR or the required visa. That's what HSBC asked me which I couldn't produce. This was 2008.

I'm just relating my experience with HSBC. I know of someone else from NY with same experience with PNB.

Edited by sandwindstars

Ooops....I missed one important information, unless you have residency status or ACR (I guess) then you can open a peso account. That's what they asked from me which I couldn't produce then. From the OP, he doesn't have it?

He has neither. Likewise, I had neither and opened a few accounts on tourist status without ACR without problem. But I just remembered my big difference: I showed my Philippine driver's license each time. Just having an address on the license must have suggested that I reside here.

I had one bank limit me to dollar savings until I could produce my tax ID number. Two other banks never asked.

I still say that for the OP, BPI Direct appears to be the best bet. He can even open the account from outside of the Phils, if what their site says is true.

Edited by Jerome
A_Simple_Man

Just a suggestion based on what works for me. Separate accounts at the same bank. Funds can be transfered on line between accounts instantly. You want to withdraw 80K instead of 40K? Easy when you do it this way because you go on line and transfer 40K to her account then go to the ATM with both cards and take 40 on each. Want her to have access to your money in case of emergency? Easy, she goes on line with your password and transfers all your money to her account. Want to stop her from getting access to your money? Easy, just go to bank and change your password. I have yet to find a downside and had no problems opening these accounts as a 'perpetual tourist'

Wow, thanks all for all this info.

Since we are in Cavite, tips for the Cebu area banks might not help much but then we will try our luck at her BPI branch and if it doesn't work then at other banks and/or branches.

Cheers all

RogerDuMond

Ooops....I missed one important information, unless one has ACR or the required visa. That's what HSBC asked me which I couldn't produce. This was 2008.

I'm just relating my experience with HSBC. I know of someone else from NY with same experience with PNB.

We have opened two peso accounts at HSBC without leaving the US. One in my mother's name and one in our name.

Brother, you can do what you wish. But, this is what I would do, if I were you.

Open a single account SOLELY in your name. At the same bank, open a joint account in your name, and your g/f's name.

Transfer funds, as needed, from your SINGLE account, into the joint account.

I trust, but I don't trust any woman that much.

I agree with this 100%. This was my first thought as I began reading the thread. There is nothing wrong with being cautious especially in the early stages of a new relationship.

I opened a peso account when I arrived the first time in 2009 at the BPI Pueblo Verde brach on Mactan. I had only a tourist visa. I was required to produce 2 forms of ID (US drivers license and passport), a small photo which I got at a small shop around the corner and provide a local address. Very simple.

When I returned again in 2010, I decided to open an additional $ account to put my cash so I could decide when I wanted to exchange them. Same requirements for the second account. I have ATM cards for both accounts and full control with the online banking. Whenever I want to withdraw from my $ account, I simply go to an ATM and out pops pesos.

Edited by Mark L

Sure, my Thailand's experiences told me to be cautious with money...

But first she is a good money manager and saving as much as possible.

Also her BPI account has had for a few months a XXX K piso amount on it (for the wedding, bookings and so on) and they are still there untouched -> and in the case of one emergency (had problems finishing the month) she chose to borrow her auntie 3k piso rather than ask me and use some of this money.......

so saying I trust her with my life isn't exagerrated and, if I happen to contract a life insurance with her as beneficiary of say x million piso and I end up being killed by her one day then I wouldn't care anymore.

Although she, for one, understands perfectly that it is better to have a husband alive bringing his salary home every month rather than a one time x million piso life insurance....

-> was her answer when, at the begining of our relationship, I told her about a Thai woman who paid some hitmen to kill her husband and who received a few million piso in life insurance money.

Also, when I wish to offer her a gift (or to her close relatives), I am too generous and a money spender when it comes to others

(one of my character's flaws since I have always been too generous with the people close to me) -> she always makes me buy something of good quality.......but cheaper than my first choice.

She is the money savy one......the opposite of me

So, after having checked her and every little thing she told me when we started dating -> I, now, at this stage in our relationship think that I either have to trust her completely or then I wouldn't marry her.

She has a few flaws but being money hungry is not on her bad sides list.

Now that I think of it, it reminds me that the one thing that attracted me to her profile was this: Looking for a partner 25-35 years old......(she was 23) so it made me think, if she was genuine, that she probably wasn't banking on finding a 70 years old man in bad health and ready to die.......

Edited by drogon
  • 2 months later...

Hi

I use BPI and have opened a peso account, euro account, dollar account and a joint account where both parties was forigners and there was never a problem, all i needed was a passport and two 2X2 pictures.

This was at the BPI Panglao branch in Bohol