What is this bastard?

Bob Ward

James, if she could tell me some recipes for this fish, that would be great! It was not too good BBQ-d, kinda tough meat, resembles more of beef than a fish.

Did you BBQ it, or did the wife or another Filipino do it? Grilling/cooking fish here, or anything for that matter, is a whole new ballgame. Lapu2x or Grouper is fantastic when grilled. There are so many ways! But what happens here is they like the skin to be crispy, so fish gets cooked/grilled to a dry and chewy death. Same thing when frying most times.

Easiest way to grill a Lapu2x slit it from the anus to the bottom of the gills and extract the innards. A Filipino can most often do this without the slit as they just put their fingers through the gills and pull the guts out. But on bigger fish of certain types, that can hurt!

Then scale the bastard, as you called it. Now take a knife and make 3-4 slits parallel to the gills (not lengthwise) about 2+ inches apart on both sides of the fish. Not too many or too close or the meat will fall off while cooking. Now coat the fish in olive oil, drizzling some in the slits as well. Take your favorite all purpose seasoning and generously sprinkle the bosh on both sides, once again paying attention to the slits.

It's best if you have a grill with a lid/cover, but not absolutely necessary. Clean the cooking grate and spray it with oil or use a napkin and coat the cooking area with cooking oil. Fire up the charcoal in any one of the crazy ways they do it there, but don't use kerosene or burn the plastic bags the oling (charcoal) comes in as it will give a shit taste to the food.

Controlling temperature here (phils) on a grill is frustrating as the charcoal is crap and crazy sizes. But do your best to make a medium hot grill. Too hot and the outside will char before the inside gets done. After the fire is correct, place the grill on top and place the fish over the coals.

Depending on the size of the fish, it should cook for 10-15 minutes per side. Carefully turn it with two spatulas. With the crazy charcoal here, you may have to add a small amount to bolster the temp half way through.

Serve the fish immediately when you take it off the grill. Some Filipinos grill it hours ahead of time and serve it whenever, SUCKS!!!! You can take sliced lemon or calamansi and place it in the slits for flavor and presentation.

Serve with microwave baked potatoes (google it, there is a technique to good ones) and some steamed broccoli! To hell with the rice! LOLOLOL Joke

Seasonings suggested from Ayala are, Paul Prudhome's (many flavors) but you can use the local McCormick's BBQ seasoning (but add salt). You can also marinate the fish, after cleaning,scaling and slitting, in the ref overnight in Italian dressing! (Springfield brand is OK)

One more reason for buying directly from fishermen.

What are they charging for the Lapu2x and the Dolphin?

Edited by Bob Ward
  • Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• digiteye

• Bob Ward

• shadow

• Stranded Shipscook

digiteye

I paid 250 per kilo. Thanks for the detailed instructions Bob. I grilled it with my own marinate, which included garlic, calamansi juice and some spice powder which was readily available at home. The taste was not too bad but I found the fish too tough compared to other fish I grilled before.

Btw as I wrote this post the fishermen came again and offered another lapu lapu, this time a smaller, 2 kg. I bought it to try whether size matters in more tender meat. I also asked them to catch mahi-mahi next time, they readily agreed - so I think mahi-mahi is also abundant in these waters here. I am sure tomorrow I will have a mahi-mahi delivered. And I bet it will be a huge one, as they know by now that I am ready to pay for their catch.

Damn, I am so lucky to have all these fresh seafood here.

mahogany

I paid 250 per kilo. Thanks for the detailed instructions Bob. I grilled it with my own marinate, which included garlic, calamansi juice and some spice powder which was readily available at home. The taste was not too bad but I found the fish too tough compared to other fish I grilled before.

Btw as I wrote this post the fishermen came again and offered another lapu lapu, this time a smaller, 2 kg. I bought it to try whether size matters in more tender meat. I also asked them to catch mahi-mahi next time, they readily agreed - so I think mahi-mahi is also abundant in these waters here. I am sure tomorrow I will have a mahi-mahi delivered. And I bet it will be a huge one, as they know by now that I am ready to pay for their catch.

Try to get some maya-maya (Red Snapper). It is possibly the finest fish available in these waters.

http://www.marketman...aya-red-snapper

Bob Ward

Mate, I have spearfished, bottom fished and trolled for grouper (yes, it works) most of my life, thousands of them! I have never experienced tough meat no matter what the size. That is just plain strange. You must have grilled it too long? LOLOLOL Cheers

digiteye

I have tried this a number of times and it really is delicious:

http://www.marketman...-a-la-marketman

Wow, this really looks very special, thank you for the link. I have banana trees only my Weber is too small for the size of the fish. I will try with fillets covered in banana leaves.

Mate, I have spearfished, bottom fished and trolled for grouper (yes, it works) most of my life, thousands of them! I have never experienced tough meat no matter what the size. That is just plain strange. You must have grilled it too long? LOLOLOL Cheers

I must admit that I might not be on top of fish grilling coming from a country with no sea... But I am a fast learner :(

Anyway, today its fish curry dinner from the smaller chopped off parts. For the BBQ or banana leaf thingy I will have to prepare in advance.

Edited by digiteye
Bob Ward

Anyway, today its fish curry dinner from the smaller chopped off parts. For the BBQ or banana leaf thingy I will have to prepare in advance.

Mate, if you have a Webber, you can do magic if you use it right. I am a grill master! I had 5 different grills and smoker before I left the US. I will PM you about an idea I have.

CebuanaKo

I think lapulapu or "pogapo" (people from lapulapu prefer to call it pogapo) is best when it's steamed. you can either wrap it in banana leaves just like in the picture or in a foil. Make sure to add salt and pepper and drizzle with olive oil. Add shallots, spring onions and tomatos.

You can also deep fry the fish until the skin is crispy and top it with sweet and sour sauce (soy sauce, pineapple juice, rice vinegar, sugar, ginger, and lots of raw julienned carrots) before serving. :)

SkyMan

But what is the Dolphin called here?

Lami kaayo.

Jess Bartone

Lami kaayo.

Amazing how many creatures share the same name.

CebuanaKo

Then I have read somewhere about poisonous fish and got worried about my fish

I think you are referring to the puffer fish or locally known as butete. The eyes and internal organs are highly poisonous but IF prepared right, the meat can be eaten. I think it's a delicacy in Japan.