What is this bastard?

digiteye

Well, local fishermen came to my place the other day with the monster on the photos. It looked ugly and it was big, and they said it was a lapu lapu, so I bought it.

Then I have read somewhere about poisonous fish and got worried about my fish (now RIP in the freezer in slices).

Please anyone can surely tell what this bastard is? Is it a lapu lapu or something else? Is it edible or poisonous?

thanks for the help

2011-05-14-135654-S.jpg

2011-05-14-135702-M.jpg

Edited by digiteye
  • Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• digiteye

• Bob Ward

• shadow

• CebuanaKo

The Mason

I think that's a Fukushima fish...but I could be wrong.

I Grouper fished in the Gulf of mexico for several years and it looks to me like a grouper that has been caught in deep water 25 or more fathoms. When they are pulled from that depth their stomach comes out, eyes pop out, sizzel if you puncture their skin whenfresh caught. A diver can tell you why. It's called the bends in diving. LapuLapu = grouper They have white firm flesh. great any way you cook them.

Edited by JSL
Jess Bartone

I was thinking Grouper and Captain John confirmed it.

I don't know if this is relevant, but the water around Lapu2x is not overly deep.

Ozepete

Don't know anything about fish...

but with those bulging eyes and mouth that doesn't shut.... It's definitely female and from the west!!!! rofl.gif

Cheers..

Mailman

I don't know if this is relevant, but the water around Lapu2x is not overly deep.

That was a major contributing factor towards Magellan getting his ass handed to him. :)

digiteye

I was thinking Grouper and Captain John confirmed it.

This one was caught in Moalboal.

digiteye

I Grouper fished in the Gulf of mexico for several years and it looks to me like a grouper that has been caught in deep water 25 or more fathoms. When they are pulled from that depth their stomach comes out, eyes pop out, sizzel if you puncture their skin whenfresh caught. A diver can tell you why. It's called the bends in diving. LapuLapu = grouper They have white firm flesh. great any way you cook them.

It seems that this had eyes popped out and also the stomach was out. I just wonder how the fishermen caught this in deep waters.

• Admin (Retired)
broden

dicknose bass

Yes. They are called Sea Bass, Rock Bass, Grouper in the US, LapuLapu. big family of fish. the one pictured is a red grouper. I fished from Panama City Fla to Cape Hatteras N.C. As I said it is firm flesh and I liked it particularly for chowder as it stayed together whencooked.

Go to www.cooks.com and type in Grouper chowder Boca Grande style to see my recipe. JSL

Stranded Shipscook

Most ugly fish tastes very good actually. i guess its because they want to scare off the predators from eating them ?

This one is a standard deli in the Visayan, you got lucky. Lapu Lapu. Very expensive now mostly.

keep it frozen till i come for a visit, i help you eatin' it !:stick_poke:

digiteye

Most ugly fish tastes very good actually. i guess its because they want to scare off the predators from eating them ?

This one is a standard deli in the Visayan, you got lucky. Lapu Lapu. Very expensive now mostly.

keep it frozen till i come for a visit, i help you eatin' it !:stick_poke:

Funny thing Gunther, the day after I bought this huge one, the boys came back again with a slightly smaller but same fish but I politely refused their catch. If I knew you were interested, I could have bought the other one for you.

Well, PM me if interested, then I will tell them to bring one next time when they catch it.

Edited by digiteye
digiteye

Most ugly fish tastes very good actually.

How about this? A very ugly but tasted good after grilling. Quite big also, however its not obvious by looking at the photo.

2011-04-24-141442-L.jpg

Edited by digiteye
Stranded Shipscook

How about this? A very ugly but tasted after grilling. Quite big also, however its not obvious by looking at the photo.

2011-04-24-141442-L.jpg

yuk... he sure deserves to die...

to me all fish looks ugly actually, i prefer them filleted, cant stand them looking at me from the plate with their dead eyes...:stick_poke:

digiteye

yuk... he sure deserves to die...

to me all fish looks ugly actually, i prefer them filleted, cant stand them looking at me from the plate with their dead eyes...:stick_poke:

Well, they may look at you with eyes alive - then you know you are eating something Japanese.... :)