Australian Humour -VS- American Humor

Bob Ward

Bob Ward

I have noticed this issue quite often, but never really decided to discuss it. The are distinct differences in the two and sometimes they seem to be diametrically opposed. Sometimes we Yanks have a go with the Aussies and it's taken completely wrong, and visa-versa!!!

I remember when Loosehead came on the forum and initially had a picture of himself. A strapping muscled lad with mountains of tats. I jokingly asked him "mate, where is your neck"? He did not take kindly to that remark and I was dumbfounded. The term is commonly used to describe musclebound guys in the US and not meant to be insulting, just kidding around. But it seems in Oz that it's not well received. We got past that as I later found out he had played "loosehead" prop, thus the strong neck!!!

There have been many other instances of others getting into a row when there was possibly never a need for contention. This I believe is simply a matter of understanding each country's brand of humor. I am sure there are many perspectives on this subject so I thought I would give it a go!

Here could be one of the reasons!!!

Australian humour is often upside down. The joke almost seems to be that the label is the opposite to what it should be. For instance, Australians take delight in dubbing a tall man "Shorty", a silent one "Rowdy" a bald man "Curly", and a redhead is "Blue". A bastard may mean a good bloke. Likewise, larrikin, wog, and mongrel may all be used as terms of endearment.
  • Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Jess Bartone

• UZI

• broden

• Paul

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

mpt1947

So there humor is upside down - does it go in a counterclockwise direction as well?

RetiredNavyGuy

Not sure that is a strictly Australian characteristic. How many American teenagers have you heard talking about how bad something is...and they mean that is great.

Ken Oath

A great topic Bob, i have noticed that the humor is quiet different between the two countries but have American friends that can relate to our Aussie humor too. Watch the movie "The Castle" and let me know if you get it or find it amusing, Aussie's have the knack to take the piss out of ourselves, we got it from the English.

Jess Bartone

Thanks for this thread Bob... I was joking, fair dinkum!

Paul

So there humor is upside down - does it go in a counterclockwise direction as well?

Just like their sinks, toilets, and tubs. :)

Seriously, it would behoove any "yank" aka "septic tank", to visit Australia (and New Zealand) to learn a bit more about our friends in Oceania, in the southern hemisphere.

Jess Bartone

Just like their sinks, toilets, and tubs. :)

Seriously, it would behoove any "yank" aka "septic tank", to visit Australia (and New Zealand) to learn a bit more about our friends in Oceania, in the southern hemisphere.

Some say it was the heat and the proliferation of flies that sent us mad... when Aussies hear an American accent they're all over the poor bugger wanting to know where he's from, how does he like Australia etc. It's interesting because, along with the Irish and the English, the Americans are one of our oldest associations, and yet despite the fact that we have immigrants from virtually every country in the world, and despite having watched American tv since 1956, we are still fascinated by Americans and their accent.

However, you blokes are at a distinct disadvantage... we (mostly) understand your humour, having seen so much of it on tv, whereas you have not been exposed to much of ours (all time classic... The Beverly Hillbillies, and a more recent crack-up, the Chapelle Show ... watch for Clayton Bigsby, but make sure you go to the cr first, don't want any accidents).

lifeisgood

I had the great opportunity to work a contract job for roughly four years in Australia ( I am from the US myself). I always thought everyone I met had a great sense of humor. Much more laid back there and luckily I learned a lot from my experiences there.

I suspect humor gets lost in these types of forums sometimes. That or you tried making a personal joke with someone you don't know. I can see how some US men would not take the no neck as a joke.

I have been wanting to get back to visit some friends. I was hoping this year but the Ozzie dollar must have got wind of my return and decided to fight me.

Edited by lifeisgood

Australian Football

svSPLIFE_narrowweb__300x432,0.jpg

VS

American Football

istockphoto_2354688-american-football-running-back.jpg

I think the Aussies would play in Speedos given the chance (BTW both pics - clearly handball)

• Admin (Retired)
broden

knuttz_ueba_33.jpg

Chicken_Reagan_Large.jpg

Jess Bartone

Hmmm Bro I don't mean to ruin your joke but that's an ostrich - from Africa. I still gave a polite little chuckle though.

.....clearly handball)

That would be similar to head ball.

Paul

Aussiie footie is much more fun to watch.

Aussies will burn a steak on a grill at the drop of a hat, and drink like fish, too.

I love the drive in bottle shops, aka liquor stores.

I left Australia with more money than I went there with. This was due to working on a farm that a friend owned, and not having to pay for anything but my food and alcohol consumed.

• Admin (Retired)
broden

Hmmm Bro I don't mean to ruin your joke but that's an ostrich - from Africa. I still gave a polite little chuckle though.

that's ok Jesse the guy who's the San Diego Chicken is originally from Canada

Aussiie footie is much more fun to watch.

Aussies will burn a steak on a grill at the drop of a hat, and drink like fish, too.

I love the drive in bottle shops, aka liquor stores.

I left Australia with more money than I went there with. This was due to working on a farm that a friend owned, and not having to pay for anything but my food and alcohol consumed.

you had to pay for food and alcohol and you came out ahead?

what was he paying you, a quarter million a year?

Wow they must have paid BIG money for that job. What did you do, put sheep back legs in wellies :stick_poke:

One is a legal move in football the other is not. Betcha dont know which is which