I discovered avocados

rainymike

A simple avocado dessert:

My partner makes a chunky mixture with sweetened condensed milk and nestle cream. A little sugar is also added. It's not bad at all when served chilled.

She does the same with fruit cocktail to make her version of a fruit salad which is also refreshing. She leaves out the macaroni though at my request.

digiteye

Enjoy avocados while you can get them. They are only available for a very short time in Cebu.

Whats the reason for that?

easy44

I always figured it was because only the locally grown ones were available and I think they are only harvested once a year. Never see them for very long in the stores and markets. Someone said they saw imported avocados so maybe they will start being available more often.

Bob Ward

There is a "season" where they are plentiful. But I still see them year round (imported) in the super market, though they are not consistently available at times. Rustan's usually has them regardless of the season. Obviously they cost more then!

digiteye

There is a "season" where they are plentiful. But I still see them year round (imported) in the super market, though they are not consistently available at times. Rustan's usually has them regardless of the season. Obviously they cost more then!

I see them now every day in the local market. Do you know for how long their season lasts? I recall that last August I had avocado shake in a small restaurant which probably wont buy imported goods. So I hope the season lasts at least until August.

sunnyside_up

we love to make abocado greeenish brown baby poo. put lil chunks of corn and peas and chunks of chees..water and chicken broth and stir it.up ...(do not put calamansi in or it will preserve the pretty green color) The look is horrible it looks like throwup or baby pooop but is really delicious ....so they say. I cant eat it cause it looks horrible. its my sisters recepi and ..... I say silly..just make an abocado shake yummmy :(

Bob Ward

I see them now every day in the local market. Do you know for how long their season lasts? I recall that last August I had avocado shake in a small restaurant which probably wont buy imported goods. So I hope the season lasts at least until August.

Peak season is May to September.

digiteye

Peak season is May to September.

That covers almost half of the year, so I am good.

easy44

That covers almost half of the year, so I am good.

My experience is that they're available for a few weeks and then seem to disappear. Maybe I'm not looking in the right places!