I discovered avocados

digiteye

Ok, to start with, I don't want to see my recipes on Gunther's menu :)

Well, I have noticed avocados in the local market for 30 or 40 pesos per kilo which is a joke compared to the European prices where you will have to fork up 1 Euro for a piece. So avocado is cheap here and it has great health benefits - let's use it (I thought).

Browsing the internet I ended up finding mostly boring guacamole recipes and the like, so I started to experiment. Firstly I tried the local avocado shake, its great and easy to make.

Here:

take 1 or 2 ripe avocados, cut half, throw away the seed and scoop out the flesh with a spoon. Add a generous amount of ice cubes along with the avocado flesh in your blender, add sugar and milk and blend until it looks smooth. Thats it.

The other one I tried was avocado soup, thats my recipe, I just tried to be creative.

Add 4-5 garlic cloves, salt, juice of 3 big calamansies, a dash of oyster sauce in your blender and blend for a while. Then add the flesh of 3 ripe avocados to the mix and hot chicken broth made of cubes.

Blend until smooth. In the meantime fry honey cured bacon in a pan, then once crispy blend them slightly to get bacon bits (of course NOT together with the previous blend, just blend the bacon itself).

Throw a half fistful of the bacon bit on the top of the avocado soup and serve. Its freaking good.

(The health benefits of bacon shall be discussed elsewhere)

Bob Ward

Crab Stuffed Avocados

1 lb cooked cooked chilled rinsed and picked over fresh crabmeat (You can also use shredded imitation crab stick)

1 cup mayonnaise

1 teaspoon lemon pepper seasoning

1 cup finely chopped celery

1/2 cup chopped scallion

1/4 cup sweet pickle relish (can also use half sweet pickle and half dill pickle)

1/2 cup toasted sliced almonds

2 -3 avocados

paprika

1 Place the crabmeat in a paper towel-lined bowl.

2 Allow to stand for 15 minutes.

3 Remove paper towel.

4 Mix mayonnaise, lemon pepper, celery, pickle relish and toasted almonds together.

5 Gently toss with crabmeat.

6 Slice avocado in 2 around the seed.

7 Split and remove seed and discard.

8 If desired, put a little lemon juice on the avocado before filling. Fill seed hole and tops of avocado with crab mixture sprinkle with a little paprika, and serve immediately on a green bed of lettuce.

towboat72

Crab Stuffed Avocados

1 lb cooked cooked chilled rinsed and picked over fresh crabmeat (You can also use shredded imitation crab stick)

1 cup mayonnaise

1/2 cup chopped scallion

1/4 cup sweet pickle relish (can also use half sweet pickle and half dill pickle)

2 -3 avocados

paprika

3 Remove paper towel.

4 Mix mayonnaise, lemon pepper, celery, pickle relish and toasted almonds together.

8 If desired, put a little lemon juice on the avocado before filling. Fill seed hole and tops of avocado with crab mixture sprinkle with a little paprika, and serve immediately on a green bed of lettuce.

now that sounds good

liquido

The variety of Avocados here are watery with little flavor...Now if they had the Hass variety like you find in mexico that would be great..http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hass_avocado they have that alligator type skin...cant be choosey in the RP

mahogany

The variety of Avocados here are watery with little flavor...Now if they had the Hass variety like you find in mexico that would be great..http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hass_avocado they have that alligator type skin...cant be choosey in the RP

You are right - so when at some point I did come across a variety that appealed to my taste buds, I planted the seed in our garden. Now the tree bears delicious fruits, and we hope to harvest again by June or July. Give it a try, it is easy :)

Crab Stuffed Avocados

1 cup mayonnaise

1/2 cup chopped scallion

2 -3 avocados

paprika

3 Remove paper towel.

Bob. Is that on the menu at the restaurant? I think it's worth trying. Can't see anything in the recipe that I don't like. JSL

digiteye

Well, maybe you are right but for someone having no access to that in Europe, these fresh local avocados are just great :)

You are right - so when at some point I did come across a variety that appealed to my taste buds, I planted the seed in our garden. Now the tree bears delicious fruits, and we hope to harvest again by June or July. Give it a try, it is easy :)

Do you just dig the seed in the soil or have to do something prior to that?

..........Avocados are good for your Heart too:

The 45 volunteers who ate avocados every day for a week experienced an average 17% drop in total blood cholesterol. Their cholesterol ratio also changed in a healthy way: Their levels of LDL (low-density lipoprotein, or "bad fat") and triglycerides, both associated with heart disease, went down. Their HDL (high-density lipoprotein, or "good fat") levels, which tend to lower the risk of heart disease, climbed. Researchers have also discovered that avocados are rich in beta-sitosterol, a natural substance shown to significantly lower blood cholesterol levels. In a review article published in the December 1999 issue of the American Journal of Medicine, researchers pointed out that beta-sitosterol was shown to reduce cholesterol in 16 human studies.

WEBMD

Bob Ward

Bob. Is that on the menu at the restaurant? I think it's worth trying. Can't see anything in the recipe that I don't like. JSL

I forgot to add that I like to occasionally fold in 4 ounces of grated cheese. I first had this dish on First Class on American Airlines and fell in love with it. Some don't like the sweet pickle relish! I use chopped dill pickle some of the time. A little chopped dill weed or chives is not bad either.

Bob Ward

There are several varieties here, both native and imported. What did the watery type look like outside. The reddish ones that are a bit more rounded?

digiteye

..........Avocados are good for your Heart too:

Combine with coconut oil - and live forever. :stick_poke:

digiteye

10 Health Benefits of Avocados

Prostate Cancer Prevention

Avocados have been shown to inhibit the growth of prostate cancer.

Oral Cancer Defense

Research has shown that certain compounds in avocados are able to seek out pre-cancerous and cancerous oral cancer cells and destroy them without harming healthy cells.

Breast Cancer Protection

Avocado, like olive oil, is high in oleic acid, which has been shown to prevent breast cancer in numerous studies.

Eye Health

Avocados have more of the carotenoid lutein than any other commonly consumed fruit. Lutein protects against macular degeneration and cataracts, two disabling age-related eye diseases.

Lower Cholesterol

Avocados are high in beta-sitosterol, a compound that has been shown to lower cholesterol levels. In one study, 45 volunteers experienced an average drop in cholesterol of 17% after eating avocados for only one week.

Heart Health

One cup of avocado has 23% of the recommended daily value of folate. Studies show that people who eat diets rich in folate have a much lower incidence of heart disease than those who don't. The vitamin E, monounsaturated fats, and glutathione in avocado are also great for your heart.

Stroke Prevention

The high levels of folate in avocado are also protective against strokes. People who eat diets rich in folate have a much lower risk of stroke than those who don't.

Better Nutrient Absorption

Research has found that certain nutrients are absorbed better when eaten with avocado. In one study, when participants ate a salad containing avocados, they absorbed five times the amount of carotenoids (a group of nutrients that includes lycopene and beta carotene) than those who didn't include avocados.

Glutathione Source

Avocados are an excellent source of glutathione, an important antioxidant that researchers say is important in preventing aging, cancer, and heart disease.

Vitamin E Powerhouse

Avocados are the best fruit source of vitamin E, an essential vitamin that protects against many diseases and helps maintains overall health.

mahogany

Do you just dig the seed in the soil or have to do something prior to that?

Some links - they free me from authoring something from scratch or to copy and paste:

http://hubpages.com/...Indoors-and-Out

http://www.associate...m_a.html?cat=32

http://www.agripinoy...do-farming.html

Department of Agriculture near Super Metro Mandaue has avocado seedlings. They have a huge selection of just about anything that grows here. Very helpful staff. Call at 343-9495 and they will guide you along. Hope I did not abuse the OPs thread ;)

liquido

Im talking about the greenish shiney skinned Avocados that are watery with absolutely no flavor..The Hass are so creamy and rich tasting..What dishes do the locals serve up here with avocados?? Just maybe the weak tasting shakes..

There are several varieties here, both native and imported. What did the watery type look like outside. The reddish ones that are a bit more rounded?

easy44

Enjoy avocados while you can get them. They are only available for a very short time in Cebu.