Foreigner Friendly Spaghetti

Bob Ward

We have all pretty much endured the poor excuse for spaghetti that is served here all over the place. Ketchup, masses of sugar and hot dogs do not belong in spaghetti. Here is a simple and cheap recipe that will cross the boundaries as most Filipinos like this one quite well.

1/2 kg Ground Beef or Pork

1 Can Hunt's Four Cheese Spaghetti Sauce

1 Can Jolly (or other brand) Whole button Mushrooms sliced to preference(reserve liquid)

1 Medium White Onion (diced)

1 Medium Carrot (grated)

5+ Large Garlic Cloves (minced or pressed)

1-2 Tablespoons Italian Seasoning to taste

4 Tablespoons Olive Oil

2 Tsp Sugar (I use brown or natural) Only use one if no Filipinos are partaking!

Salt to taste

Brown meat in large skillet. Drain and set aside in a bowl

Cook the carrot and onion in the olive oil till the onions are translucent, adding the Italian seasoning and garlic for the last 2 minutes

Add the meat back into the pan and cook for 2 more minutes

Add the Hunt's sauce, mushrooms and liquid, sugar and salt.

Simmer over low heat for 15 minutes

Serve over al dente pasta with some crusty french bread and some cheap, but good, Pino red wine from Chile.

Cheers!

Edited by Bob Ward

I never had sugar in my spaghetti until I met my wife. Now I would miss it even though my father makes a mean pot of spaghetti without it. Thanks for the recipe Bob I will try it.cooking.gif

Mr. Mike

I never had sugar in my spaghetti until I met my wife. Now I would miss it even though my father makes a mean pot of spaghetti without it. Thanks for the recipe Bob I will try it.cooking.gif

A little sugar seems to cut the acid down and makes the taste a little smoother.

KeithAngel

Yes thats true but most ready made sauces already carry a fair bit of sugar

A variation that makes a quick meal with spagetti but no sugar is break the spagetti into 4" lenths appx cook till aladente

chop oingions peppers mushrooms garlic Bay leaf is good and quicly stir fry in Olive oil add the cooked spagetti and tins of tuna or sardines drained and keep on the move this has a crunchy texture further frying can brown the spagetti till it is quiet interesting

Start to finish 20 mins

This

lazydays

Simple old Mediteranean Peasant Breakfast Dish,

Fry up in olive oil,chopped shallots(or other onion),garlic,mushrooms,tomato's,chopped bacon strips and seasoning/mixed italian herbs(oregano etc),when nearly cooked,throw cooked/drained Spaghetti into the fry pan as well,stir,throw in 2 whisked eggs,stir until eggs flaked and cooked,serve.

You can really play about with this dish,chopped spam/sardines etc instead of bacon,add peas and/or flaked carrots/broccoli/spring onions/peppers etc,squeeze of lemon/lime/calamansi for sharpness,sugar for sweetness,even spices.

Stranded Shipscook

try Italian too... 15 minutes

1/2 kg ground pork AND beef mix. some onion, some garlic, maybe carrot and celery, but usually this is in the Italian seasoning mix anyway.

fry and remove the extra Oil, u can use it later for other cooking purposes.

Add a liter of Hunts tomato sauce , Pinoy style if you want it sweet.

add a beefbroth cube.

Then add the italian seasoning to your liking, squeeze a bit of calamasi or lemon also and a tiny bit of sugar if western.

happy days !

i don't have to mention how to cook the pasta, do I ?

rainymike

I miss adding Italian sausage to my spaghetti. Anyone come across a decent packaged one? Last time I tried some freshly made sausage from the market it was terrible!

My partner does think my spaghetti sucks though (she loves the stuff from Jollibee!) - 'you forgot to put in the hot dogs! and sugar!

Bob Ward

I miss adding Italian sausage to my spaghetti. Anyone come across a decent packaged one? Last time I tried some freshly made sausage from the market it was terrible!

My partner does think my spaghetti sucks though (she loves the stuff from Jollibee!) - 'you forgot to put in the hot dogs! and sugar!

Italian Deli in the same building as Gustavian and The Spa at Cebu on Maria Luisa! Can't think of the name!

lazydays

In Davao City try Swiss Deli,JP Laurel avenue,Bajada (near Damosa Gateway).

Without Ilalian sausage it's just spaghetti (lower case) I eat some at Jolliebee occasionally .....it hasn't made me sick, yet.

JSL

Dragon

We use Johnsonville Hot Italian Sausages in our spaghetti, a very worthwhile substitute. They can be found in frozen food section at S&R.