Bringing Food in Carry on Luggage

Hi, Can I bring some food in on the plane when I come to the Philippines from Australia in my carry on luggage which is the only bag I will have?

All I plan to bring is a couple of herbs & spices bottles, one will have a mix of Italian herbs for pasta and the other will have a mix of my favorite Indian curry mix. I found I could buy some things in the malls but often it was difficult to get things like Coriander which is essential in any Indian curry.

I also might bring in a mix of some coffee and a few muesli bars.

Will any of these things be a problem? Do I need to declare them etc?

KennyF

Some airports are incredibly sensitive to what you carry on.

You might find that they just take it off you as you board.

Play safe and pack it in a small box to go in the hold.

KinP

Jess Bartone

Some airports are incredibly sensitive to what you carry on.

You might find that they just take it off you as you board.

Play safe and pack it in a small box to go in the hold.

KinP

Good advice Kenny. I know it's a pain waiting around for your baggage to appear but better that than not only losing money (on the herbs you bought) but also not having your favourite herbs when you arrive.

You could try a test run... buy two sets, but one set in your carry on, and an identical set of herbs in check in. Proceed and see what happens.

JasonEcos

I agree with KennyF. Some airports might let you through, then others won't.

Alternatively many hotels will allow you to send items to them ahead of time if you have a reservation at their place. Then it will be waiting for you when you arrive.

I packed some protein bars each time I came here. Once I made it here no problem, another time I had to leave the bars with security (maybe they were hungry). Same airlines, same airports.

It's a little surprising, I thought there was no problem over there for food but lucky I asked then. I won't be taking any checked in luggage and besides my ticket doesn't allow for it on the way there although I added a bag for the way back as I will probably pick up some souvenirs etc. When you pay just two hundred bucks for a return trip then you gotta make some provisions....

KennyF

When you pay just two hundred bucks for a return trip then you gotta make some provisions....

$200 return??????

Where to where??

With who???

KinP

fredanna

I agree with KennyF. Some airports might let you through, then others won't.

Alternatively many hotels will allow you to send items to them ahead of time if you have a reservation at their place. Then it will be waiting for you when you arrive.

I packed some protein bars each time I came here. Once I made it here no problem, another time I had to leave the bars with security (maybe they were hungry). Same airlines, same airports.

We are not seasoned travelers and I would say MOST airports will not let you bring them aboard. To them your herbs are very unusual carry-on items.

One of the few things in life that seems to be evenly regulated is flying.

Experienced

I'm a little puzzled by the responses here... I've made 8 round trips from the US in the past 18 months and routinely bring food items (in both directions) in both checked luggage and carry-on.

The only thing I've ever had any trouble with - aside from the well known "liquids, gels, pastes, etc." restriction (see TSA guidelines and have your baggies ready), which everyone seems to enforce now - was with a case of canned tuna I was taking home through NAIA... the guy at the final scanner told me I couldn't take those on the flight (to Shanghai) and to go back and check them as luggage. I asked what the "threat" would be in carrying these and he said (I am not making this up!), "You could throw them." I protested that I didn't have time (actually, I was about double the baggage allowance in my carryons and didn't want to get weighed again), and that I would just have to leave them with him... at which point he relented and said I could take them but warned me sternly not to try that on future trips. I have no idea what rule he was thinking of since I have routinely carried canned goods on many if not most flights without incident.

Another restriction to watch for is that Cebu Pacific won't let you fly with liquids in your checked luggage, even. They ask you to declare it when you check in... no idea if they actually check or not. I believe they said it was allowed if it was packed in styrofoam and sealed in plastic.

I almost ALWAYS have spices with me, but they're typically in checked baggage, which is often 3/4 food items by volume. Of course no raw agricultural products, meats, or anything that is universally restricted. I always check "Food Items" and when asked (inevitably) say it's just "passalubong"... mention chocolates and get waved on my way. Never had a problem with any of it in Hong Kong, Shanghai, Incheon, Manila, or Cebu. Just in San Francisco, where I can tell you they won't let you bring in Pork Rinds (chicherron) any longer, which is a shame, since the local brands don't have the nasty aftertaste you always get in N. America.

$200 return??????

Where to where??

With who???

KinP

I got it a few weeks back with Jetstar, from Darwin though so most of us have to get another ticket there.

KennyF

I got it a few weeks back with Jetstar, from Darwin though so most of us have to get another ticket there.

Ah OK.

I'm looking at BHH ip Coolangatta (14,400 baht.

KinP

questsea73

Last time I flew--headed toward Thailand (3 years ago)-- I had a jar of peanut butter (opened) in my carry-on bag and USA departure security checkers wouldn't let me take it; claimed it was a "gel-like" substance and banned. Interpretation of the rules depends on airport alert status, mood of the checkers, etc. If it is valuable or irreplaceable, put it in your checked luggage. Ken

digiteye

Import regulations by Philippines customs

Imports:

Tobacco: 400 cigarettes or 50 cigars or 250 grams pipe tobacco>

Alcohol: 2 bottles

Prohibited:

military ammunitions

drugs

food

live animals,snails,insects

vaccines,viruses

http://philippines.visahq.com/customs/

Ozepete

Imports:

Tobacco: 400 cigarettes or 50 cigars or 250 grams pipe tobacco>

Alcohol: 2 bottles

Prohibited:

military ammunitions

drugs

food

live animals,snails,insects

vaccines,viruses

http://philippines.visahq.com/customs/

Good point Digi.

Most countries have restrictions on what can and can't be taken in.

This is specially important in the fight against pests/ disease in their agricultural products.

I think it would be a common courtesy to check before and if in doubt and DO NOT take in anything prohibited. A quick phone call before you pack would be the best.

I have seen arsoles (Often Aussies!!) caught bringing fruit into Oz. And they get very indignant when confronted even though their selfishness could wipe out thousands of farmers.

Cheers..

Experienced

Imports:

Prohibited:

food

You can find the official policy at: customs dot gov dot ph

(Sorry for the poor reference: I gather I'm not allowed to post live links during my probationary period)

Food is only prohibited if it is "adulterated or misbranded"... or, of course, if it is one of the usual risk items (animals, meats, seeds, plants, etc.).

Commercial processed food is clearly allowed, and I'd place packaged spices in that category too.

Do you really think you can't bring chocolates into the country?

You think people arriving on international flights don't bring passalubong?

My guess is your site just copied the check-off items from the Customs Form ("I am bringing...") because they do list "food" there.

Generally food isn't something that's high risk to you if you lose it, and confiscation is very likely to be the worst that will happen.

Of course you should never try to bring the universally prohibited items (animals, plants, etc.).

KennyF

We're getting confused here.

First, there can be a problem boarding with odd items. That's up to security.

Second, there's the prohibited list that most countries post.

Best practice is don't pack anything that could be considered "no go" by either.

As an aside, wear slip on shoes and wear pants that stay up with no belt because it's such a pain in the ass taking shoes and belt off and on.

Forget about toiletries.

Once you hit RP, duck into a 7 Eleven (or "seben" here in Thailand, because they can't say eleven ) and pick up Listerine, tooth paste and brush, soap etc.

KinP.