Sign in to follow this  
USMC-Retired

Faster Page Loads Globe

USMC-Retired

I had a reason to need for an account again with Sense-it (hidemynet.com). So I purchased the 3 month subscription. $15.00 cheap in the amount of refreshing.

What I have found is that my page loads are significantly faster with the VPN. Prior to this I had already set my DNS to google 8.8.8.8 however did not result in any improvement (may have slowed it down read below). This relates to the fact I am behind a proxy server and Globe blocks the use of third party DNS servers or anything transmitted on port 53. Being able to bypass Globe DNS servers and using a VPN DNS has made my speed significantly faster.

This speed is not just measured in milliseconds but seconds of speed increase.

So why does Globe block the use of third party DNS lookups. It is all about money. They can save bandwidth if they do not allow third party DNS servers. So if you are wanting to use a third party DNS you must use a DNS server that does not use the standard port 53. OpenDNS operates on port 5353 as well as port 53. Setting this is not as easy as just plugging in though. As reading I did not find anything relating to PLDT blocking DNS or port 53.

So Sense-it (hidemynet.com) seems like it takes the frustration out of surfing for Globe.

Edited by Norseman

USMC-Retired

Not to bump this. However if you want to check if you are being blocked on port 53.

Click this link

Where it says port put in 53.

Woolf

What operating system do you use ? XP ?

Are you sure that it is DNS lookups that slows the download

win XP keeps a cache of good look ups for 1 day

http://www.helpwithwindows.com/WindowsXP/tune-24.html

USMC-Retired

Thanks Woolf. I however for the following reasons have the TTL (time to live) on my DNS cache set to 30 mins.

The DNS cache holds a record of all the websites you have visited and their IPs, so the next time you request a website, Windows looks in its DNS cache. The cache is deleted every 24 hours. However, if a website's DNS information has changed more recently than that, or the cache has stored a negative response (due to a high level of network congestion or server load) the cache becomes outdated and can lead to browsing problems.
Edited by Norseman

Woolf

Not to bump this. However if you want to check if you are being blocked on port 53.

Click this link

This is a better tool

You can enter the address and port to scan

try with address 8.8.8.8 and port 53

http://www.t1shopper.com/tools/port-scan/

UZI

Click this link

Port 53 responds as Error: I could not see your service on 180.*** on port (53)

Reason: Connection timed out

But I get the same even with 25 or 110

I also use OpenDNS

USMC-Retired

Globe blocks ports 25 (email) 53 (DNS) 22 (SSH) and 110 (common alt SSH port).

If you are using OpenDNS unless you are using it through port 5353 then it is blocked on globe and worthless.

UZI

This is a better tool

You can enter the address and port to scan

try with address 8.8.8.8 and port 53

http://www.t1shopper...ools/port-scan/

I get the same with this tool too

Scanning ports on 180.

180. isn't responding on port 21 (ftp). 180. isn't responding on port 23 (telnet). 180. isn't responding on port 25 (smtp). 180. isn't responding on port 80 (http). 180. isn't responding on port 110 (pop3). 180 isn't responding on port 139 (netbios-ssn). 180 isn't responding on port 445 (microsoft-ds). 180. isn't responding on port 1433 (ms-sql-s). 180. isn't responding on port 1521 (ncube-lm). 180. isn't responding on port 1723 (pptp). 180. isn't responding on port 3306 (mysql). 180. isn't responding on port 3389 (ms-wbt-server). 180. isn't responding on port 5900 (). 180. isn't responding on port 8080 (webcache). Page loads are fast enough & I get my full speed of download when I use Utorrent

UZI

If you are using OpenDNS unless you are using it through port 5353 then it is blocked on globe and worthless.

If I enter a dead web link it is OpenDNS that loads to say it cant be found. How do I test what DNS I am using?

Used CMD & got this

C:\>NSLOOKUP

Default Server: resolver1.opendns.com

Address: 208.67.222.222

Edited by UZI

USMC-Retired

Just go here.

If you get a big orange check you are using opendns.

Test it here

There DNS servers are:

Edited by Norseman

UZI

Just go here.

If you get a big orange check you are using opendns.

Test it here

There DNS servers are:

tick%20for%20the%20group%20reflection.gif

Edited by UZI

USMC-Retired

Sad_Face.jpeg

I did not get that. Though I had set my DNS to OpenDNS. Globe those bastards.

UZI

Sad_Face.jpeg

I did not get that. Though I had set my DNS to OpenDNS. Globe those bastards.

Tim

I am lost here. I have Globe. All I did was go into my router & set the DNS to OpenDNS. Why dont you do the same or is it because I have Globelines wired?

Cipro

So they don't really supply an internet connection, they supply a WWW connection with a few extras.

USMC-Retired

My router is configured. Additionally my Machine, additionally my modem/router. Does me absolutely no good.

I have tried every trick known to man. I can not get it to work. However I am wimax and not DSL.

That is correct of what they provide. Then cap it at 25gigs a month.

However reading that big orange check. I had to research my facts more. Correction. DSL not all connections are tapped against port 53. It depends on which switch drives the bus to the server. Depends on location. All Wireless connections are 3G Hspa and Wimax.

However if you can get a big orange check you should be doing it yesterday.

Edited by Norseman