2 Swedes get life in prison

digiteye

Where did you get the idea that they were all partners and therefore equally to blame? The news article says that the Swedes set up the enterprise and the three Filipinos worked for them. That explains the logical difference in sentence.

http://news.ph.msn.c...umentid=4833998

The Filipinos are not eligible for probation because their maximum sentence exceeds the six year guideline established by Presidential Decree #968.

http://www.chanroble...decreeno968.htm

Where did you get the idea they were not? Just because the media published the official BS about it? That's the problem of conservative thinking. If they feed you with something that fits the bill of that belief system, there is no way to step outside the box or further thinking.

Obviously the involved Filipinos had the girls but had no bank accounts to receive the online payments and they had no brains (as described in another post above) to setup a website that would actually get visitors. That's what the Swedes did according to the media article you quoted.

Are they the masterminds or "ring leaders" for doing that? Then Paul Petrea is a bloody ring leader as he surely did all these above. Set up a website, having a bank account, making online payment possible.

So what could these two Swedes do with this system alone? Tell you what: jerk off in front of their cameras and I doubt anyone would have paid for that.

So they needed the Filipino pimps to deliver the girls, right? The Swedes had the context set and the Filipinos filled it up with content. And like I said the framework itself is useless, so the Filipinos are just as guilty as the Swedes as they had the girls prior to the system setup - unless you want to feed me with a story that someone becomes a pimp right when a foreigner tells him to do so.

And excuse me, why would any Filipino pimp come into this crime for a "wage"? Its another BS that they were "employed" by the Swedes. Its a general mindset: the poor Filipino could only be an employee, so easy to make masses to believe.

No one with sane mind would employ a local in such an activity, as employees are always envious, if they are not satisfied with their pay they talk. Do you think they were paid 15000 pesos a month just like the girls? I give you a hint: which average Filipino could afford to pay 1 million fine? Obviously the police discovered how much they made each, that's how the judge has set the amount. The difference is: when a Filipino goes to the market, pays 20 pesos for the same banana which would cost me 40.

Obviously the pimps told the same story when it came to a criminal case: "we were only employed by the foreigners and followed what they said". They were 3 the Swedes only 2.

These people were all same guilty yet the justice system made a biased judgement and spiced it up with the usual "underage" story to be in line with the fashionable foreigner bashing style.

Edited by digiteye
  • Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Jess Bartone

• digiteye

• Davaoeno

• Cipro

newtocebu

Re whether the 'models' were of age - the article in the OP states that arrests took place in April 2009. Whilst the 'models' may be of age now, they are two years older than they were while the crimes were being committed...

Jess Bartone

Thanks for being pedantic.

Just following your example.

The law is the law is the law.....If you want to break the law to earn money go ahead, but don't cry if you get caught and you have no one to blame but yourself.

Quite right and this is at the core of the issue. We can wisely sit here discussing the moral right and wrong but no Filipino judge will be moved by our arguments.

The fundamental issues is that merely making something illegal does not make it wrong,.....

Are we talking in general or are we talking about the Philippines? If it is the Philippines we are talking about, then if the law says it's wrong, then trust me it is wrong. However, feel free to go there and test my theory.

I agree with a lot of what's been said, if the women are legal age then it should be their prerogative to expose their bodies for money, and as has already been pointed out, they are safe from lecherous men who I would imagine sit at their computers masturbating.

The same goes for cannabis, while much of the western world has legalised or is on the point of legalising and controlling this substance, the Philippines I think is very far from such a quantum leap. Some say it's a harmless herb and the push should focus on chemical drugs, and I would probably agree with them, but theory and reality in the Philippines are at opposite ends of our human universe.

I'm not trying to stifle moral and ethical discussion, but again I say, this is the Philippines, and it ain't gonna change in our lifetimes that I can see. I also believe that these draconian laws have come about purely as a result of decades of sexual exploitation in the Philippines, which was largely ignored until recent times, when all of a sudden the world community asked very loudly "WHY ARE THESE 3RD WORLD COUNTRIES DOING NOTHING ABOUT SEXUAL EXPLOITATION?" and the result is a sharp knee-jerk reaction by Filipino law makers to save face.

So whether you think it was right or wrong, I have to ask, how the hell did these blokes think they were somehow immune from the current legal situation in the Philippines? With all the electronic monitoring going on these days, they might as well have walked into a police station smoking a big fat spliff.

RogerDuMond

Thats the point- not only should it not be illegal [ consentual deal between consenting adults-assuming not underage-], but it in fact is much safer as there is no touching involved and the girls can be protected in the privacy of the business office.

It does no good for any of us to argue whether the law is good or fair. The law is there and none of us are going to change it.

Yes very true but....The law is the law is the law......simply because the government made it the law. Which goes back to my quote "government: a disease masquerading as its own cure". Its wrong and punishable because the government says its wrong and punishable.

I'm not saying a person should break the law, I am saying sometimes laws should not be in place. In this case I'm of the opinion if a consenting adult wants to expose themselves for money, thats their business. It is not hurting anyone besides possibly themselves (their dignity, self esteem, etc)

Yes the government elected by the people made the law. Sure the people are easily duped into voting for certain candidates, but that isn't something that is endemic to the Philippines.

digiteye

I love this part:

"Disrespect for Filipino women and violations of our laws deserve the strongest condemnations from this court," Ms Salcedo quoted from the judge's ruling."It will not shirk from its duty to impose the most severe of penalties against anybody, be he a foreign national or a citizen of this country, who tramples upon the dignity of a woman by taking advantage of her vulnerability."

So apparently there is no problem with a boys den - I wonder what would be the story if the Swedes would have run a gay peep show.

SkyMan

The Filipinos were JUST AS GUILTY, regardless of WHO was running the show.

For them to allow that sort of treatment by minor girls (if they were underage) shows just how easily some Filipinos will sell out others.

Money, that's all it is. M O N E Y.

Since this was the SmutStar, we all know the information must be 100% accurate, don't we? :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

One could argue that the Filipino pimps (I'm assuming the pinoy were the go betweens of the Swedes and the girls) were in some fashion taken advantage of in the same way as the girls. The girls were offered p15K to pose naked. The pimps were probably offered some large excessively tempting amount to get the girls. Obviously what they did was wrong but I think the punishments were correct given all these assumptions.

Stranded Shipscook

Speculations, assumption... jeez, Smutstar did it again (Thanks Paul for that expression, i love it, LOL)

I see absolutely nothing wrong with this sentence.

a.) They knew they were breaking the law, so they knew the risk.

b.) Their motivation was to make money fast, otherwise they would/could have done that legitimate somewhere else. But they choose the Philippines because the costs are lower. this 'enhances" their sentences tremendously, because "greed" is a "non-excuse" for breaking laws. Applies anywhere in the world, btw., if someone break the law out of desperation, say to finance an operation for his kids, he most certainly gets a milder sentence, right ? They could have opened their business also in Europe, where they even would find legally plenty of Aisan woman doing this job as a sideline.

c.) Try to figure out the sentence for an offense like that in Saudi Arabia or Peoples Republic of China.

d.) I can not stress it enough, the Philippines is a sovereign nation and every visitor or resident, tourist or resident, has to obey their laws. And they make them as they are pleased to do so.

e.) The same applies to the severity of the sentence, if one wants to commit a "risk calcuable" crime, he should go to Germany or Denmark, where sentences are probably the lowest in the world.

f.) last but not least, we do not have the 25 page court decision, so the reason for sentencing the Pinoy lower is not debatable.

Also they may have wanted to state an example/Warning to others which may follow or are already operating a similar business here. It certainly hit the headlines internationally big enough. I just wonder, if this would stop a criminal to do the same, most likely more will come now (" Hey guys, good idea, lets go in the Philippines, the online chicks are cheaper than here in the Ukraine".)

Just like the death sentence for Pedofiles, it seems to have no effect on them....

Edited by Guenther
quit_yume

you know.. its a case of which evil is the lesser evil. i have become friends with several so called "cam girls". they do this in order to not have to work in a bar on sell themselves on the street. some are still virgins.

and im not ashamed to say that i have introduced more than one young lady to someone that could help her be a cam girl in order to keep her from going and becoming a bar girl.

to the best of my knowledge they are all 18+. but who the hell really knows for sure?

and another thing.... seems the laws within phils are not enforced equitably at all. i have mentioned here before that i know an american that was convicted of the same thing with minors just a very few short years ago. and they really were minors.. but he was able to buy his way out of jail very quickly.. the case was notorious enough to have made it into the american press. probably most americans think the guy is in jail for most of his life.. but i beleive he got out in about a week. he's now just floating around the philippines living the life..

-quito

digiteye

I see absolutely nothing wrong with this sentence.

I would not also, if all involved parties received the same. Btw running a cyber den means life sentence by the law? Then we shall see masses of Filipinos to be sentenced to life very soon. Will we...?

Edited by digiteye
LaserLou

This thread got me thinking about something.

For a moment, let's assume the girls were of legal age, regardless of anything else has stated.

If these girls were working online, dealing with customers for money, would this not at least be safer for them than to have to physically screw a different guy every night after being paid for in a bar?

Yeah, that would be safer. The part, I think, that the authorities don't like, is their making a job out of it; travelling cross-country from their province to work, working long hours for a boss, in a small room. If they did that on their own in their own homes, I don't think there would be much concern.

Edited by LaserLou
digiteye

Yeah, that would be safer. The part, I think, that the authorities don't like, is their making a job out of it; travelling cross-country from their province to work, working long hours for a boss, in a small room. If they did that on their own in their own homes, I don't think there would be much concern.

I wonder why would anyone travel from their province? Are there not enough girls in Mindanao? if they did that in their own room would mean they had a PC and internet connection on their own. Who has the money for that, probably wont need to make money by selling her body off online.

Cipro

Re whether the 'models' were of age - the article in the OP states that arrests took place in April 2009. Whilst the 'models' may be of age now, they are two years older than they were while the crimes were being committed...

Still, makes them 17-21 at the youngest at the time.

Just following your example.

I know, however if you look at my original post it was directly in response to a post bringing the fairness of the law into question. Hardly ambiguous.

RogerDuMond

you know.. its a case of which evil is the lesser evil. i have become friends with several so called "cam girls". they do this in order to not have to work in a bar on sell themselves on the street.

They may do it so that they don't have to work hard, but they don't do it because their only other option is the bar or the street. That is the easy way out.

spooks

Breaking news

The usa and many other countries are striving to remove themselves from the TIER 2 watch list for human trafficking as advised by a SE Asian country. This country demands that all those on their tier 2 watch list will in exchange for money create new laws that the donor country does not have and insist that anyone found naked in front of a pc anywhere is arrested for their own good.

De Lunasi the US head of DOJ has agreed to this policy shift as they want to make examples of as many people as they can in order to win the annual financial jackpot. Over 100 top security wifi free prisons are to be built in order to accommodate the hundreds of over age, financially strapped individuals and their financiers. Home land security will now be renamed the 'homeland in charge of other peoples moral values group' will now be kicking down doors at anytime of day and hailing (cannot spell hauling)miscreants to a life of penal servitude.

A home for unwanted sex toys will also be constructed.

Questions about prostituting cash for sovereignty will not be accepted and a new incarceration joint for those who dare ask such silly questions will also be constructed.

Meanwhile mass plunderers who rob the people of the ability not to lose out on financial aid will still be allowed to stash their cash in this SE Asian country. Guns for hire will receive slaps on the wrist and any politicians found in breach of the laws will of course be told not to do it again, once the cash has been passed over.

:rolleyes:

All pathos aside. I suspect the ages of the ladies will never come to light as it may prove to be inconvenient.

Edited by spooks