2 Swedes get life in prison

miles-high
Btw I don;t think the foreigners had more than 40% cut from this - just like in any other business.

I doubt they were incorporated or registered or have obtained the necessary permits

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Jess Bartone

• digiteye

• Davaoeno

• Cipro

digiteye

I doubt they were incorporated or registered or have obtained the necessary permits – thus likely being illegitimate, illegal and/or unconscionable criminal underground organization, so it is absolutely unfair to compare with "any other business"…

:o

What is unfair? The 40% share of foreigners in business is unfair in this country, or is it not? Another example of biased treatment for foreigners. But that was not the topic and not the point.

The point is that they were 5. Why on Earth the Filipinos would have been satisfied with less than 20% each? (Which accidentally comes to the combined 40% ownership for the foreigners.) Yet, foreigners got life and Filipinos got 20 years which can be easily halved in a few years when no one will remember, right? Just like the 1 million the Filipinos should pay is half of the 2 million that the foreigners should. Now that is unfair. And I don't want to enter into underage or not for the so called "models", which again good for nothing but giving all foreigners a bad image.

Btw where have you read anything about their legitimacy or that they obtained any permits, I can't see that in my post.

Have a good day along with those clapping hands thanking you for not understanding what I said.

Edited by digiteye
spooks

The report I read, stated that they were all over 18, unlike the Sun Star who appeared to have a different opinion.

So, I stick by what I said, based upon the fact (if anything can be so construed) that they were all over the minimum age.

Originally nearer the time the ladies were rescued, there was talk then that they wanted to take action against their rescuers for kidnap as they were not underage. Then again that was also a press report so who knows what really happened?

InternetTough

The report I read, stated that they were all over 18, unlike the Sun Star who appeared to have a different opinion.

So, I stick by what I said, based upon the fact (if anything can be so construed) that they were all over the minimum age.

It is crazy to apply the same sentence for that crime as for murder. Life imprisonment for operating something like a peep show! It was wrong, it was exploitative of the poor, but it was not murder.

You are right. You also never condoned the Swedes' (& Lackeys' or Whatevers') actions, as careful readers would discern. You merely said that the job they "provided" was far better than working as a prostitute at a bar.

I don't want to make myself the target of a hysterical morality mob, but I say that a life sentence for any crime less than murder is wrong.

Edited by InternetTough
sperry

As usual in this sort of case it raises more new questions than it answers.

1: Are the women actresses involved always innocent? Even if over 18?

2: Are the actresses always by definition "traficked"?

3: I presume lad mags like maxim exist in the phils. Could a topless photo shoot get you 20 years? Or do you need what used to be called "full frontal"

4: Are the DIA crowd who try and get their webcam chat mate naked open to prosecution?

5: If the den owners are women instead of men is that "less bad"?

6: If I used ym to chat this morning prior to dressing with the webcam on, would I have been liable to prosecution? My friend on the other side?

7: Are male dens illegal?

8: If a fashion model is under 18, as I believe many are, what are the dividing lines of art/p*orn?

According to the BBC web site, the 20 year/life sentences are exceptionally severe. I suspect that the two Scaninavians copped extra years cos they're Scandinavian and so was the guy who got away recently. Same same but different as they in Asia.

However as it now a crime in Sweden to pay for the services of a prostitute, I would not be surprised if the Swedish government asked the Phils for exemplary sentences. Whatever is the reason, there is probably a lot of politics involved. Wrong place, wrong time that's for sure.

I also think that in cases where the woman is clearly an adult and "worldly wise" it is maybe more the lonely old men who are being expoited rather than the actresses.

And finally on the PHP 2 million for the Swedes and PHP 1 million for the nationals, this could just be ability to pay

I've heard in the UK drink/driving fines are often set much higher for rich people.

Edited by sperry
tom_shor

As usual in this sort of case it raises more new questions than it answers.

1: Are the women actresses involved always innocent? Even if over 18?

2: Are the actresses always by definition "traficked"?

3: I presume lad mags like maxim exist in the phils. Could a topless photo shoot get you 20 years? Or do you need what used to be called "full frontal"

4: Are the DIA crowd who try and get their webcam chat mate naked open to prosecution?

5: If the den owners are women instead of men is that "less bad"?

6: If I used ym to chat this morning prior to dressing with the webcam on, would I have been liable to prosecution? My friend on the other side?

7: Are male dens illegal?

8: If a fashion model is under 18, as I believe many are, what are the dividing lines of art/p*orn?

According to the BBC web site, the 20 year/life sentences are exceptionally severe. I suspect that the two Scaninavians copped extra years cos they're Scandinavian and so was the guy who got away recently. Same same but different as they in Asia.

However as it now a crime in Sweden to pay for the services of a prostitute, I would not be surprised if the Swedish government asked the Phils for exemplary sentences. Whatever is the reason, there is probably a lot of politics involved. Wrong place, wrong time that's for sure.

I also think that in cases where the woman is clearly an adult and "worldly wise" it is maybe more the lonely old men who are being expoited rather than the actresses.

And finally on the PHP 2 million for the Swedes and PHP 1 million for the nationals, this could just be ability to pay

I've heard in the UK drink/driving fines are often set much higher for rich people.

I always wondered why it is a crime to pay for something that it is ok to give away for free. :any-help::o

sandwindstars

OK, it is a crime according to the law.

But, I do wonder if the law is sensible.

The girls "victims" according to the usual press reports, are usually well aware of what they are doing, and it is far better than many of the alternatives open to them.

The bars, for example, which is where many may now go to work.

No, not the foreign owned bars, but the many hundreds owned by their fellow countrymen, that operate with impunity throughout the country.

THere, they will be at risk of violence, disease, and will no doubt be spending far more time to earn far less.

As for forigners receiving a different sentence to locals, that happens all the time.

You said it. And they were caught. They were the principal, the rest were accessory. Same in any country (I'm sure in your home country as well). Foreigners receiving different sentence is very true. Maybe the Swedes should have opened their business in Sweden instead, and they would have received the full benefit of their justice system. What may be legal in our home countries, may not be there or in other countries. The gravity of the crime may differ from country to country. How they deal with the situation is their call. Hopefully, Davao Penal Colony could be something like the Iwahig Penal Colony which is now a tourist spot in Palawan.

InternetTough

In Sweden, I think, and if not Sweden, in another Scandinavian country, it is illegal to buy sexual services, but not to sell them!

RogerDuMond

The point is that they were 5. Why on Earth the Filipinos would have been satisfied with less than 20% each? (Which accidentally comes to the combined 40% ownership for the foreigners.) Yet, foreigners got life and Filipinos got 20 years which can be easily halved in a few years when no one will remember, right? Just like the 1 million the Filipinos should pay is half of the 2 million that the foreigners should. Now that is unfair. And I don't want to enter into underage or not for the so called "models", which again good for nothing but giving all foreigners a bad image.

Where did you get the idea that they were all partners and therefore equally to blame? The news article says that the Swedes set up the enterprise and the three Filipinos worked for them. That explains the logical difference in sentence.

http://news.ph.msn.com/regional/article.aspx?cp-documentid=4833998

The Filipinos are not eligible for probation because their maximum sentence exceeds the six year guideline established by Presidential Decree #968.

http://www.chanrobles.com/presidentialdecreeno968.htm

sandwindstars

In Sweden, I think, and if not Sweden, in another Scandinavian country, it is illegal to buy sexual services, but not to sell them!

"In Canada, the buying and selling of sexual services are not illegal, but most surrounding activities, such as public communication for the purpose of prostitution, brothels and procuring are outlawed." Just to show the differences in countries.(quote is from Wikipedia, as I'm too lazy to research the actual law.)

Edited by sandwindstars
Paul

The Filipinos were JUST AS GUILTY, regardless of WHO was running the show.

For them to allow that sort of treatment by minor girls (if they were underage) shows just how easily some Filipinos will sell out others.

Money, that's all it is. M O N E Y.

Since this was the SmutStar, we all know the information must be 100% accurate, don't we? :D:rolleyes:

RogerDuMond

The Filipinos were JUST AS GUILTY, regardless of WHO was running the show.

For them to allow that sort of treatment by minor girls (if they were underage) shows just how easily some Filipinos will sell out others.

Morally yes as guilty if not more guilty because it took advantage of their own people, but legally no not as guilty.

Since this was the SmutStar, we all know the information must be 100% accurate, don't we? :D:rolleyes:

Not that I think that any media outlet has any more veracity than any other (they all report what sells), but the article that I perused was by Agence France-Presse via MSN News.

Paul

I was commenting on Larry's original post, having been quoted from the SunStar. Sorry for not being more clear about that.

Edwin

If there were no Swedes involved the operation would still be running or if busted the penalties to the Filipinos would have been much less severe than 20 years.

What were those Swedes thinking? It was just a matter of time before some unhappy girl complained to someone about the "foreigner bosses". I doubt they ever thought they would get caught, much less get life in prison. "hehehe"

I guess the joke is on them!

Cipro

OK, it is a crime according to the law.

But, I do wonder if the law is sensible.

Since they all seemed to be adults, yes, I don't see how this can be any crime at all let alone something worthy of life in prison.

I always wondered why it is a crime to pay for something that it is ok to give away for free. :rolleyes::D

Yeah, well apparently women are incapable of making good choices and must be protected from themselves.