2 Swedes get life in prison

spooks

I have to believe that if they want to work hard and persevere, there are other things available other than the sex industry.

The beliefs of others will not feed them.

Sex industry is global, did the moralists who appear here ever stop to tell us what they did in their own back yards were people did not starve and chose to work in the sex industry? Did these moralists camp out and tell these people that they are immoral and do something else, I expect not.

One day you may wake up and find your morals and culture are different from the place you live.

Then again this topic is in danger of being hijacked.

So back on thread

Cyber sex den laws are now in force and I am not sure they were at the time(they might have been) these two were arrested. Perhaps that's why they were charged with human trafficking under the widest definition that could be made.

Employing anyone for economic gain who then decides or has decided for them by a third party that they are exploited is going to be a challenge for any employer in any business home or abroad.

Why then never just endorsed the UN version which they subscribe to I will never know.

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Jess Bartone

• digiteye

• Davaoeno

• Cipro

KeithAngel

Internal traficking is more lucrative

tom_shor

taking advantage of the vulnerability of the person, or, the giving or receiving of payments or benefits to achieve the consent of a person having control over another person for the purpose of exploitation

My goodness every employer in the country is a human traficker.

tom_shor

James- where would we all be without your consistent law-and-order shoot first-then hang the survivors attitude ?? Is there no one that you dont think deserves the death penalty ?? lol I refuse to believe that your views are as hard and as one sided as you would have us believe .

I'm sure if one of the Swedes was your son you wouldnt be so fast to call for his exection ???

That is SOP for Marines. Kill them all let God sort them out. :D

Ozepete

Does anyone know FOR SURE if the females involved were under age or not. Please quote source if you have the answer.

If they were woman of legal age, were is the problem?

Cheers..

Kabisay-an gid

"Don't do the crime if you can't do the time." - Baretta

The Philippines is a free and sovereign nation that can make and enforce its laws as it sees fit. Any foreigner who doesn't like it, is always free to pack up and leave, or not come in the first place.

Flame suit on!

JackJohnson

It sounds like they were bad guys to be sure, but the punishment seems severe.

Looks to me like the PI just wants to make examples of these two.

They seem to have a double standard when it comes to foreign men.

If indeed they were just computer techies and not the owners of the shady business, they

shouldn't have to take all the blame. I don't really care about what happens to them,

but it doesn't reflect well of the justice system of the PI. Furthermore, there are no doubt

scores of young women doing the naked cam thing (I have gotten many offers on dating sites)

so you have to kind of wonder if it isn't almost an acceptable way for a poor girl to make a few bucks.

I'm not saying that I think it's acceptable, I'm saying that it might be that there is a contingent of the

society that sees nothing wrong with it.

rainymike

The reason that laws often seem vague and unfair is that although the law is the law, the law is interpreted by judges and juries. As this forum shows, the same law is interpreted many different ways by many people. This is how lawyers make a living, isn't it?

Judges and juries are also influenced by public events. And the interpretation of the law therefore gets influenced by what's happening in the country and headlines.

So what's been happening in the Philippines recently? I seem to recall the recent death/murder of a child and the links that the suspects had to the video cam sex industry. It's not unusual then for the 'system' to react in such a way.

Truthfully, I am more afraid of sexual predators be they foreigner or pinoy, and the harm they can do to my kids than I am of Al Qaeda after what happened in the Minglanilla area (I lived nearby in Talisay at the time). I'm not sure I would have decided differently if I was the one handing down the sentence at this point in time.

Edited by rainymike
Cipro
So what's been happening in the Philippines recently? I seem to recall the recent death/murder of a child and the links that the suspects had to the video cam sex industry. It's not unusual then for the 'system' to react in such a way.

The closest I saw to any credible evidence of that was that she had female friends and a sex toy. I'm pretty sure the first is virtually Universal and the second is probably not that uncommon.

digiteye

"Don't do the crime if you can't do the time." - Baretta

The Philippines is a free and sovereign nation that can make and enforce its laws as it sees fit. Any foreigner who doesn't like it, is always free to pack up and leave, or not come in the first place.

Flame suit on!

The Philippines is free to make and enforce its laws as it sees fit. Any foreigner is free to pack up and leave. Great, thanks for the enlightening.

Are you a Filipino?

Edited by digiteye
Jess Bartone

.....the law is interpreted by judges and juries.....

No juries in the Philippines... your life is decided by a single person.

Alan S

Does anyone know FOR SURE if the females involved were under age or not. Please quote source if you have the answer.

If they were woman of legal age, were is the problem?

Cheers..

One news report stated they were aged "between 19 and 26".

Given that the press targets anything sensational, plus the fact that the legal charges didnt mention minors, I think it is virtually certain that the women concerned were of legal age.

Alan S

No juries in the Philippines... your life is decided by a single person.

I was talking to a Filipino, a wealthy businessman, about the subject of law and juries once.

He said the reason they dont have juries is that they cant find 12 honest men.

(I have my own views, but offer the above as one persons opinion of their fellows.)

sunnyside_up

I have a cousin in leyte and after had a baby boy she somehow got started doing cam business which no one knew about even me for two years.

Cipro
Why not come here and start an enterprise that helps teenage ladies?

Because, not to put too fine a point on it, the laws of your fine nation make it difficult to impossible for foreigners to come and legally invest in your economy. This is probably the number one reason the PH is not growing economically like the rest of Asia.