2 Swedes get life in prison

shadow

CAGAYAN DE ORO -- Two Swedish nationals were sentenced to life imprisonment by a local court here on Tuesday for operating a cybersex den and employing minors to pose naked before foreign clients.

Judge Jeoffre W. Acebido of Misamis Oriental Regional Trial Court branch 41 found Swedish national Bo Stefan Sederholm, 31, and Emil Andreas Solemo, 35, guilty beyond reasonable doubt of the crime of trafficking in persons.

Also meted with 20 years imprisonment for same offense were three Filipinos, namely: Andrea Galdones Romero, Arvy Pablo Baylon and Aminoding Lomangcolcob Rangaig.

The court fined Sederholm and Solemo P2 million each, while their Filipino cohorts were ordered to pay P1 million each.

In its 25-page decision, the court said, "It will not shirk from its duty to impose the most severe of penalties against anybody, be he a foreign national or a citizen of this country who tramples upon the dignity of a woman by taking advantage of her vulnerability."

The court added that the foreign nationals "should not abuse the hospitability and protection accorded to them during their temporary stay in the country by making it a haven for their criminal activities."

"Disrespect for Filipino women and violations of our laws deserve the strongest condemnations from this court," it added.

On April 23, 2009, police arrested the Swedish nationals and three Filipinos at a cybersex den located in a middle class subdivision along Kauswagan highway, where 17 minor models were found naked while video chatting with foreign clients.

One of the models told police that the Swedish nationals offered them P15,000 each in exchange for posing nude in front of the web camera.

Authorities recovered during the raid computers, web cameras, a satellite dish and a powerful cable antenna along with a whole gallery of sex toys.

Jose Justo Yap, National Bureau of Investigation regional director, said the two foreign nationals will be committed to Bureau of Corrections in Muntinlupa or to the Davao Penal Colony where they will serve their sentences. (Sun.Star Cagayan de Oro/Sunnex)

http://www.sunstar.com.ph/cagayan-de-oro/local-news/2011/05/10/2-swedish-get-life-sentence-human-trafficking-154717

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Jess Bartone

• digiteye

• Davaoeno

• Cipro

How is it that the foreigners get life and P2M fined and the nationals only get 20 years and fined P1M? And in the same breath the judge says it will go after anyone. I do not condone this, but I am saying since they all were a part of this whether they are Filipino or not give them all life and P2M fine.

Danishman

Maybe it could be due to the 2 Swedish citizens are the real ringleaders in this heinous case - financially and ideologically (payment to purchase equipment and provide customers from the western world).

In other words - "the brains behind the crime. " In this case more severely diseased brains.

Regards

Flemming

How is it that the foreigners get life and P2M fined and the nationals only get 20 years and fined P1M? And in the same breath the judge says it will go after anyone. I do not condone this, but I am saying since they all were a part of this whether they are Filipino or not give them all life and P2M fine.

smokey

dang that was quick..... now if only they would do something about the 4 year old rural bank scam or our buddy joc joc ,,, or even the mass murder which they have not even filed charges yet... hummm i guess justice is for everyone but punishment is only for the poor...and or foreigners..

For Real

dang that was quick..... now if only they would do something about the 4 year old rural bank scam or our buddy joc joc ,,, or even the mass murder which they have not even filed charges yet... hummm i guess justice is for everyone but punishment is only for the poor...and or foreigners..

Good point.

Regarding this thread (coming from a foreigner who knows poor people here)...i will sleep well tonite and in the future over this decision

Correct Robert.

Flemming;

You are correct that the Swedes were the brains and the money behind this operation. But they are not the only ones that are guilty, their Filipino partners are just as guilty. They were the footwork. They were the recruiters of this crime. Just like how the RP continues to blame the West Africans for the drug mule trade, I say again it takes two to tango. Their Filipino partners willing agreed to be the pimps if you will of this operation and as such they are just as guilty and in my book even more so because they know first hand how desperate some of these girls are. And I I repeat in the case of the drug mules, 99% are as guilty as sin because they willingly take the $3k and dance a gig until they get caught and then they scream innocence and beg Aquino to make himself a puppet of whatever country they get busted in so that they don't get a needle in their arm.

Maybe it could be due to the 2 Swedish citizens are the real ringleaders in this heinous case - financially and ideologically (payment to purchase equipment and provide customers from the western world).

In other words - "the brains behind the crime. " In this case more severely diseased brains.

Regards

Flemming

loosehead

I think it's great that the ringleaders are getting punished rather than the foot soldiers who usually take the rap while the bossses go unpunished. It is very common is aussie for wives to be let off if they were assisting with crimes where their husbands were the main perpetrators. Who knows what pressure these women were under or what assistance they provided to police and prosecutors.

big RB

Is not 20 years in a Philippine prison pretty much the same as a life sentence? Does anyone know what the average life expectancy is in the pennal colony is?

Alan S

OK, it is a crime according to the law.

But, I do wonder if the law is sensible.

The girls "victims" according to the usual press reports, are usually well aware of what they are doing, and it is far better than many of the alternatives open to them.

The bars, for example, which is where many may now go to work.

No, not the foreign owned bars, but the many hundreds owned by their fellow countrymen, that operate with impunity throughout the country.

THere, they will be at risk of violence, disease, and will no doubt be spending far more time to earn far less.

As for forigners receiving a different sentence to locals, that happens all the time.

Danishman

I totally agree with you Cary ...... but I'll just add that it also in the Western world, is quite common / normal legal practice, to impose higher sentences for the ringleaders - exactly as described by the OP in this case .

It is an aggravating circumstance to organize, finance and sell their "product ".

Therefore it can not bring "my shit" in boiling that "only" is given 20 years imprisonment for local people indvolveret in this case.

Flemming;

You are correct that the Swedes were the brains and the money behind this operation. But they are not the only ones that are guilty, their Filipino partners are just as guilty. They were the footwork. They were the recruiters of this crime. Just like how the RP continues to blame the West Africans for the drug mule trade, I say again it takes two to tango. Their Filipino partners willing agreed to be the pimps if you will of this operation and as such they are just as guilty and in my book even more so because they know first hand how desperate some of these girls are. And I I repeat in the case of the drug mules, 99% are as guilty as sin because they willingly take the $3k and dance a gig until they get caught and then they scream innocence and beg Aquino to make himself a puppet of whatever country they get busted in so that they don't get a needle in their arm.

loosehead

OK, it is a crime according to the law.

But, I do wonder if the law is sensible.

The girls "victims" according to the usual press reports, are usually well aware of what they are doing, and it is far better than many of the alternatives open to them.

It's sad that a respectable guy like you thinks it's ok for underage girls to be used in this way.

spooks

It's sad that a respectable guy like you thinks it's ok for underage girls to be used in this way.

National report says NBI advised that ages were 19-24, yet local report says many underage. Not difficult to be confused or have your opinions not understood under such circumstances.

I suppose the only question I have is that this is not the first case of internet sex den being busted and the accused being found guilty. Wonder therefore if the judge had to refer to any previous cases before sentencing?

digiteye

Wtf does ringleader mean? And who has come up with the idea that the 2 foreigners were any kind of leaders in this one? Well, maybe they knew how to make a website. If you try to find a Filipino to make a website for you, its a pain in the ass. And if they make, they all look alike, you know what I mean: the typical dysfunctional, ugly websites with photos like a thumbnail.

So how they started this "venture"? They had the idea and started to walk around and ask people "hey dong, don't you know some minor pussies, we could show them for money?" Or what? They would have ended up in jail before they could setup a PC.

I am certain that the masterminds were Filipinos, then they approached the foreigners to join "forces". They could be well involved in the minor girl business before in the brick and mortar sort of that business, if you get what I mean.

On the other hand, you can find a ton of cybersex den run solely by Filipinos but interestingly there is no news about raiding them. Cyber sex is illegal here regardless the age of the girls. But underage combined with foreigners is a big fecking bang for the public.

Don't misunderstand me. If one playing with minors anyhow, just rot in hell. Foreigner and Filipino alike. What made me write this rant is the usual pro-Filipino and anti-foreigner approach which can be seen more and more frequently these days.

Btw I don;t think the foreigners had more than 40% cut from this - just like in any other business. They were 5 of them. 20% each. Do the maths. Ringleaders.... wtf...?!

Alan S

The report I read, stated that they were all over 18, unlike the Sun Star who appeared to have a different opinion.

So, I stick by what I said, based upon the fact (if anything can be so construed) that they were all over the minimum age.