SKYcable Digibox

David_LivinginTalisay

USMC-Retired

At least with David you never have to ask a question. He tends to put it all there. Maybe a bit much but if you want to know about Skycable search for Davids posts. If you need a map for something and he has been there. Detailed instructions are there. So on and so on. At first I was frustrated by the depth of his posts. Yet I have found myself referring back to them so that I can get more detail. Like him or hate him. His posts contain enough detail so an idiot can figure it out.

At least with David you never have to ask a question. He tends to put it all there. Maybe a bit much but if you want to know about Skycable search for Davids posts. If you need a map for something and he has been there. Detailed instructions are there. So on and so on. At first I was frustrated by the depth of his posts. Yet I have found myself referring back to them so that I can get more detail. Like him or hate him. His posts contain enough detail so an idiot can figure it out.

I am not for one second criticizing Davids info. I would prefer he didn't post in 5 different colours & 6 different fonts but that is a detail. It would also help if he could summarize his essays at the start so we could find the one line that answered the question.

My post though asked why he started yet another thread on the same topic when we had already been discussing it on another thread a couple of days ago. He then replied and although patronising in its tone (which I note he has since gone back & edited out), he did answer buried in paragraphs of other info. IE

I posted under ' this SECTION of the forum:-

because I thought it was the most 'logical' to look in for Products & Services provided by SkyCable in Cebu, and therefore easily found (especially if Admin makes it a 'Sticky?)

A perfectly good answer which makes total sense. Pity he couldn't have just answered my question like that instead of going on a rant.

David_LivinginTalisay

I certainly appreciate your efforts David!

I thought it was pretty lame that they would distribute a DIGITAL set-top unit with only ANALOG signal outputs (WTF???). I can't even connect this to my TV, which has HDMI, DVI, and Component NTSC Video (the red, blue, and green ones) connectors, while the "DigiBox" offers only Composite (yellow) NTSC and the ancient co-axial.

Question: does anyone (perhaps on one of the upgraded programming packages) know if it's possible to get one of the higher-end set-top boxes with DIGITAL signal outputs without signing up for the full HD/DVR experience (overkill for me here)? From looking at their web site it looks like the answer might be, "No"...

TIA

SkyCable does not yet offer any HD Channels, here in CEBU at least, and yet was launched in Manila in 2009!

Give them chance, it has taken 10 years since I have been here, just to get Digital Cable Box.

If you want HD and got a TV with HDMI, then go for Gignal Satellite,

cignal_web_d_02.jpg

PLAN 1,290 - 46 channels, with 9 HD Channels

History HD. Nat Geo HD, HBO HD, Star Movies HD, ESPN HD, Discovery HD. Star World HD, Food Network HD, NBA Premium HD.

BTV. Disney Channel. Cartoon Network. Playhouse Disnoy. CNN, PB0, Viva Cinema. AXN, Star World. Fox. Fox Family Movies, Bio Channel,

AXN Beyond, Star Movies, ESPN News. ESPN. Star Sports, CNBC. Discovery. Discover Turbo, Nat Geo, Cinemax, TV5.ABS-C8N2.GMA7,

GMA News TV 11, Studio 23, NBN4, ETC 9, IBC13.TalkTV2l,, AksyonTV, TBN Word. Community Channel. Gem TV. tVN. AI Jazeera

*Bonus Audio Channels: 89.9Magic, .90.7 Love Radio, 92.3 NEWS FM, 99.5 RT, 101.1 Yes FM, DZRH, GVFM Angeles, 102.7 Star FM Bombo

Either that, or put up with Composite Video (very strange/unusual for a TV not to have a Composite Video input, as well as HDMI and Component, and sometimes PC VGA/DVI) for now (the Quality is DVD like - BIG improvement in clarity and definition, over the analog box however)

My SkyCable DigiBox can be configured for 16:9 aspect ratio, rather than 'default' of 4:3. I set the 'Aspect Mode' to 'Auto'

The TV Mode, by 'default' is NTSC-M, but can be set to 'Auto' or 'PAL-BDG' (my Sony TV works in any of those 3 settings, so I set it to Auto)

SkyCable launches high definition TV service

By Mary Ann Ll. Reyes (The Philippine Star) Updated April 29, 2009 12:00 AM

MANILA, Philippines - Leading cable television service provider SkyCable has brought television viewing to a higher level with the introduction of high definition TV (HDTV), the new standard in TV technology fast sweeping across the United States, Europe and Asia.

The new service is now available to its subscribers in Metro Manila in areas that are digital-ready. SkyCable officials revealed that about 90 percent of the metropolis is digital-ready. The company has around 100,000 subscribers in Metro Manila, of which around 40 percent are already using the digital platform.

SkyCable invested about P6 million for the two HD channels as well as for the installation of the transmission equipment and additional integrated receiver decoder.

SkyCable marketing head Ray Montinola revealed that the company is also set to launch another new service within the year – video on demand (VOD). Also in the works are two other new services which may be made available next year – picture on picture and personal video recorder (PVR) which will require additional set-top boxes. The PVR is similar to TiVO (tv on demand) which has a very large following in the US.

HDtv ushers the era of superior resolution and digital sound. HD programs seen on HD-compatible TV sets enable viewers to enjoy rich and vivid images completed by clear sound. This revolutionary technology gives the viewers the feeling of being 'in' the program because of its superior clarity, with pictures two to five times sharper than ordinary tv resolution and seen on a 16:9 wide-screen format or the same format used in movie theaters.

From Wikipedia:-

High-definition channels

On September 19, 2008, SkyCable initiated the pay-per-view broadcast of the 2008 Ryder Cup[109] golf tournament in high-definition (HD). It is transmitted in 1080i resolution and paves the way for the Philippines to convey the first HD signal. In July 2009, Skycable also commenced a locally produced HD program through, now the defunct Balls HD, the collegiate basketball tournament—University Athletic Association of the Philippines and the National Collegiate Athletic Association.[110] At present, SkyCable offers nine HD channels accessible through separate payment. Lineup consists of Discovery HD World, History HD, National Geographic Channel HD, HBO HD, NBA Premium TV HD, STAR Movies HD, Fox Crime HD,ESPN HD and the PPV (pay-per-view) HD.[96][111]

Personal video recording

On December 8, 2010, SkyCable announced that it would launch a new service similar to U.S.-based TiVo for its high and standard definition services within the first quarter of 2011.[112]Initially, the service will be called PVR or personal video recording, which has a 500GB internal hard drive enough to record 135 hours of cable programs in high definition or 217 hours for its standard definition service. Distinct from regular digital video recorders, the PVR uses the built-in electronic program guide that enables its subscribers which programs to be recorded. The new service will also feature Timeshift, a new way of recording programs to be viewed to at a time more opportune to its subscribers, and that would also allow recording of favorite programs on a time delay basis. Timeshift will also allow its subscribers or has the ability to pause live broadcast and in slow motion.[113] On March 21, 2011, SkyCable launches its first personal video recording in the Philippines, the iRecord. It is an enhanced version of its digibox. It allows subscribers to record cable programs up to 145 hours in standard definition or 86 hours in high definition platform. It comes with a 320GB disk space.[114]

Edited by David_LivinginTalisay
Markham

If you want HD and got a TV with HDMI, then go for Gignal Satellite,

Sorry David, Cygnal does not (yet) supply STBs with HDMI outputs, only component A/V. The upside is that Cygnal does supply a stereo audio signal (Sky doesn't) and if you want to attach extra TVs, you can at a very reasonable cost (2nd and 3rd STBs cost 230/month). Cygnal's downside is fewer channels and they don't currently include BBC World News in their line-up. For 1290/month Cignal provides 45 SD and 9 HD channels plus 9 FM radio stations (they have other plans ranging from 250 to 990 per month).

Mark

Edited by Markham
David_LivinginTalisay

Sorry David, Cygnal does not (yet) supply STBs with HDMI outputs, only component A/V. The upside is that Cygnal does supply a stereo audio signal (Sky doesn't) and if you want to attach extra TVs, you can at a very reasonable cost (2nd and 3rd STBs cost 230/month). Cygnal's downside is fewer channels and they don't currently include BBC World News in their line-up. For 1290/month Cignal provides 45 SD and 9 HD channels plus 9 FM radio stations (they have other plans ranging from 250 to 990 per month).

Mark

First off, I think you will find that SkyCable DigiBox does supply a stereo audio signal.

The Setting is under General Setting - 'Audio Mode' : Stereo, Left or Right.

Come around my house and listen to the Digibox Audio Out, into my JVC TH-L1 Surround Sound (you do not get Audio via HDMI)

I find that hard to believe - Cignal offering a STB with 9 Chans of 1080i and no HDMI hook up to TV?

Are you sure about that?

cignal_web_d_02.jpg

http://www.cignal.tv/?page=support

leftsidebar_01.jpg

SUPPORT

FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS

Display Types

Standard Definition (SD)

• SD is the broadcast standard used in the Philippines
  • SD is a display typed that is commonly used by TV with a CRT (picture tube)

High Definition (HD)

• HD is the highest display format for images and video
  • HD has more pixels than SD (Standard Definition)
  • 1080i (Interlaced) - display resolution
  • 16:9 - aspect ration

What are the kinds of cables Cignal use to connect their equipment to the TV?

Standard Definition (SD)

• LNBF to Set Top Box - RG6 Coaxial Cable
  • Set Top Box to TV - RCA

High Definition (HD)

• LNBF to Set Top Box - RG6
  • Set Top Box to TV
  • HDMI Cable (Audio and Video)
  • Component Cable (Video Only)
  • Use RCA cables for audio with component cables

BoholoX

I have a Cignal digital STB connected by HDMI to a Sony Bravia.

Awesome, awesome quality. The PPV fight on sunday was stunning.

My most watched channel is Discovery Turbo by the way, one of the reasons I went for the full package.

Cable suppliers in Bohol I believe are still analogue only and the choice is much less than MMR/Cebu

Wish I could get FX though.

The Cignal box does need re-booting more than my old Dream box

Audio is through a theatre system also

Edited by BoholoX
David_LivinginTalisay

I have a Cignal digital STB connected by HDMI to a Sony Bravia.

Awesome, awesome quality. The PPV fight on sunday was stunning.

My most watched channel is Discovery Turbo by the way, one of the reasons I went for the full package.

Cable suppliers in Bohol I believe are still analogue only and the choice is much less than MMR/Cebu

Wish I could get FX though.

The Cignal box does need re-booting more than my old Dream box

Audio is through a theatre system also

When SkyCable installed my Digibox I was amazed when I could view absoluteley EVERY single Channel that Moonsat / Pacific Cable Inc. offer here in Talisay City, Cebu.

(That is how I was able to list ALL the SkyCable Channel Allocations - with reference to PLAN from wikipedia - but that not totally accurate - for Cebu anyway)

My STB must not initially have been programmed with the Channel Allocation attributable to my SkyCable Account ie Plan399 (to get Ch 21 BBC World), plus Star Movies (Php100) + Discovery Channel.(Php50)

Having watched Discovery Turbo, I like that very much - more than BBC Top Gear, that is only once a week, and only cars and sometime motorbikes.

I will definitely add Discovery Turbo (Php20) to my SkyCable Account also.

David_LivinginTalisay

Anyone with experience of using/configuring Skycable 3rd Generation (N5166) DigiBox/Remote?

DIGIBOX.jpg120px-First_Generation_Remote_Control.JPG

The reason I ask, is because I can't figure out the 'FAVORITE' Function/Operation on this unit!

Previously on the 2 x SkyCable Analog STB units, pressing the 'FAV' button, stepped one through those Fav. Chans (that one had added to the 'Favorites List'), in the order set, with each press of the 'FAV' button.

On this (N5166) DigiBox/Remote, you can select 'Manage Channel' from the 'MENU'.

Edit Channel

Here one can 'Lock Channel' (so a password must be entered), 'Move Channel' (change 'Order' the Channels appear in), or 'Delete Channel' (remove Channels that you are not subscribed to, so they don't appear on the Chnnel List).

I decided to Move those channels I could no longer watch ie those not in PLAN399 and the additional 'Select Channels' I had Subscribed to (#27 Star Movies, #34 Discovery Channel, and soon to be #96 Discovery Turbo), to higher up the List (so I can read them on the Channel List, but not have to scroll past Channels I can't watch), rather than Delete them and could not be selected if you later decide to add them to the Subsciption, unless you re-scan the Channels (and this screws up any Order and and Selected Favorites, you have 'programmed')

Favorite Channel

Selecting this Manage Channels Option, brings up 2 Columns on the Screen - 'All Channels' on the Left, and 'Favorite' on the right.

One can move Channels from one Column to the other by pressing 'OK' button, and change the order they appear in respective Column, by pressing the Red Select button, then scroll up or down, to where it wanted in the desired 'order' in the respective column, then scroll horizontally back to the other column.

How does one watch the Favorite Channel List?

Pressing the 'FAV' button, just seems to be 'shorcut' to the Configuration Window!

Pressing the vertical 'Sroll' control, takes one through an ordered list of Channels, but I can't work out any 'logic to the Order?

It is not the Order of the ALL Channel column, not the Order of the 'Favorite' column either, but instead the Order as shown in the 'TV ALL' list under 'Edit Channel'

So it seems one can't use the Favorite Channel List, to group your Favorite Channels together in the Order you would like to scroll through them?

(Or at least I have not figured out how to make it work, other than Edit Channels. Has anyone with such N5166 DigiBox/Remote, got it figured out and use it successfully?)