Sign in to follow this  
Ranmanjax

Plantation Bay - a review

Ranmanjax

This being my first trip to the Philippines, I wasn't sure where to stay in Cebu City. So, I stayed my first two nights at Radisson Blu and I have been at Plantation Bay for the last four days. Just in case anyone was interested in staying here at some point, I thought I would point out some good and bad.

It is isolated. On my first taxi ride here, I was sure that was going to be my last taxi ride in the Phils. He kept driving and I couldn't imagine that there was a nice resort out here. That, in turn, makes it difficult to catch a taxi. You can ask transportation to call you one, it could take five minutes or 30 minutes. When they arrive, at least half the time, it is a battle to get them to use meter. They know what a hassle it is to get a taxi here, so they have more bargaining power than at SM where there is a line of 20. Lately, I just take the free hotel shuttle to the airport and grab a taxi there. The shuttle runs about every two hours.

Costs. The room was $200 a night, and that included a 25% discount because I booked six nights here. That really doesn't offend me, but they also get you on everything else. Bottle water $2, average breakfast buffet $20, any activity here is highly overpriced. They even joke several times in the brochure about the outrageous prices. They can't hide the prices, so they may as well address them head on. On the positive side, there is NO tipping. I offered, they politely refused.

The room is not too bad. I little dated, but comfortable. The entire reason I picked here was for a waters edge room. The lagoon (artificial - never mentioned anywhere in literature) literally is at your back porch for this room. However, my first day they started draining my side of the lagoon and it was empty for almost the entire time I have been here. After raising a stink, they did refund some money, charging me for a lesser room. Also, there are tiny ants in the room, especially, the bathroom. They can't seem to kill them.

Service has been great, except in the restaurants. I can't seem to get a refill on my iced teas regardless of which restaurant I pick. Otherwise, you make a call to whatever dept, and there is someone at your door in under five minutes.

There are a couple of restaurants on premises. The food is average. They are expensive, but when you are a captive audience, you basically have no choice and they know it.

The lagoon is a neat feature. It does need painting and some upkeep, but it is nice to have water everywhere.

The beach was a HUGE disappointment. It is so very small, walled off and generally not a place you'd really want to spend any time. But, with the numerous lagoons, I'd overlook this deficiency.

Overall, I could hesitantly recommend PB for a one night stay. Anything more than that, there has to be better for the same or less money. My stay here is over Sunday, and I'll go back to the Radisson Blu for half the money with a spectacular room, good location, great service, etc.

billten

Sorry to tell you man, over priced and under serviced, that's the Philippines tourist industry in a nutshell. Enjoy your time here and then next time go to Indo, Thai, etc. etc. etc. for the real Aisa service deal. The Phil's aint it.

UZI

If you have the time, check out Maribago Bluewater. We love the place.

Davaoeno

well the first thing i see is that with taxes included thru agoda the daily rate for a room at Maribago [ with breakfast] is only $140 usd a day- which is quite a bit less than $200 a day. Of course being from Davao where its easy to get a senior citizens card which gives a 20% discount on hotel rooms I would expect to pay even less !!

Topper

It is a nice place. Stayed there a few times with the Mrs. Just couldn't get use to the "Good Morninnnnnnnnnnnnnng Sir". If you stayed there, you know what I mean. After awhile I was saying Good Morninnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnng back to them.:as-if:

David_LivinginTalisay

Don't worry about it - PLANTATION BAY is great Resort to use in Cebu (and costs rather a lot less than Shangri-La - check it out)!

When I was employed as 'Engineering Manager, South east Asia', based in Hong Kong, earning US$85Kpa in 1978, with another US$35K on top in 'Commission' related pay, I selected Plantation Bay as MY CHOISE of where to stay in Cebu, offering luxury but at what I then considered 'reasonable' price (certainly compared to Shangri-La).

As it happened I did not end up with what I had booked (just as well as all the 'In-laws' of Sha-Sha that 'delivered' her to that Resort from Barili, expected to stay overnight, so good job they gave me Suite Room by the artificial lagoon, rather than 'Honeymoon Suite' in self enclosed walled off area, with room, and causeway on 'stilts' in man made private lagoon - don't think such 'rooms' exist any more, so it was 'priceless'?

OK so such Rooms, in exotic/luxury Resorts in the Philippines, may be over US$100/night, but so are they in Singapore/Malaysia/Thailand/Japan/Guam/S. Korea/etc

It is all relative to the amount of money you are earning/investing/paying, and the ENJOYMENT you get out of it?

David Whittall

musicman666

if you have a load of kids in tow plantation bay with its vast tracts of shallow water is a godsend!! Its a great place for stress free family get togethers.

samatm

thanks for the review. It sounds miserable. I've been there just for a few hours of swimming with my kids in the lagoon, but I cant imagine being stuck there for days. The beach is tiny and is next door to the really pathetic and GROSS Marigondon public beach. YOu have 5 stars neighboring with 1/3 star.

Why on earth do tourist spend thousands of dollars to travel to this dump of an Island only to be held up at an overpriced understaffed resort? When there are so many other choices (Thailand, Bali, Malaysia, vietnam etc.to go and spend the tourist dollar. Its certainly not cheap. Mactan really needs a facelift and a tourism overhaul.

thor888

If you had gotton your ass out of Cebu City/Mactan and on to one of the thousand islands in the Philippines you could have rented a on the beach cottage with hot tub/jaccuzzi, own swim pool, and boat for 10 bucks a night, american breakfast for 3 bucks and dinner 5 bucks. With the change from 200 bucks a night you cud have chartered a sail boat with crew to sail around the islands and boracay. Maybe next time you keep to Miami and the beautiful, young american chicks.

tim

Thanks for sharing your stay here... enjoy yourself....

grumpy

Yup... the big name "resorts" in the PI just want one thing... your money. Keep in mind they pay the staff pilipino wages and charge >western prices. Many "top" resorts are not well mantained either... the Bohol Beach Club for example obviously hasnt had an upgrade since it was built... exception being the price for a room has been upgraded. They dont even have potable tap water and charge for intenet service unless you walk 200 yards battling mosquitos and provide your own laptop. Beach is nasty, choked with seaweed and starfish. Prison camp atmosphere. 600P for a car ride to Taglibarin. (insert skullfeck smiley here)

I dont mind paying western prices for a 5 star in the PI but i havent found a "resort" yet that qualifies as one. Transversing the islands is one of the most challenging parts of a trip to the phillippines... it takes experince to know where you want and need to go, as there are many, many beautiful mini resorts that are private, cheap and the experince of a lifetime. And every trip you make to the phillippines will be another learning experince.

Rad Blu Cebu while not a resort is worth the price... excellent service, very well QUIET amenitized rooms and good location.

Panserhansen

If you had gotton your ass out of Cebu City/Mactan and on to one of the thousand islands in the Philippines you could have rented a on the beach cottage with hot tub/jaccuzzi, own swim pool, and boat for 10 bucks a night...

Can you please name a couple of these places? Sounds tempting!

Davaoeno

Can you please name a couple of these places? Sounds tempting!

actually I believe its over 7000 islands, and i would be happy to hear the name of just one of them [ i dont need "a couple"]

For Real

The current best is Imperial Palace...there are no equals on the island!

The Maribago Blue water & The White sands next door are also sentimental favourites of mine

A_Simple_Man

actually I believe its over 7000 islands, and i would be happy to hear the name of just one of them [ i dont need "a couple"]

Would you mind naming them for me? Or at least pointing them out on a map? I have seen the Internet reference to all these islands but never seen anyone who could point out on a map more than a few hundred of them.