THE CURRENCY EXCHANGE RATE SUCKS ! ! !

Anyone that thinks my avatar has some sort of a "sexual" connotation or is a form of p*ornography is absolutly out of there mind!

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• smokey

• Turbota

• Stranded Shipscook

• David Spicer

smokey

Anyone that thinks my avatar has some sort of a "sexual" connotation or is a form of p*ornography is absolutly out of there mind!

well its written in blue so it must be ???????????????????????????????????????

Maybe so. Maybe not.

However there must be billions and billions of images out there in cyberland you could have used, but you decided that an image of a man having his brains blown out was the one you wanted to use.

You have your reasons for doing so, which may be lucid and cogent. But you should not be surprised if some people misunderstand your motives.

Oh, and the euro at 64 is not too bad for me. Only about 10% off the value when I first started coming to the Philippines. God Bless Germany.

Edited by sperry
mpt1947

I am not sure what the problem is with Turbota's avatar. He didn't make it up. Depending on what you read, it is a frame from a real news clip from Cambodia several years ago, or a frame from "The Killing Fields."

Disturbing, I should hope so. However, ignoring what has happened in the past is a sure way to make sure it happens again.

Actually it is from TET 1968 - I believe the shooter is a police official in Saigon and the Victim was a VC operative

mpt1947

We have had this discussion many times - how low does it go before we go...? The fact of the matter is, I can't live at all on my SS, VA Disability, and my small pension in the US - But with the help of my wife, I will be able to struggle through at a 1:1 here in the Philippines...

Now for the Picture

I got this from a Wikipedia article - it helps explain the mindset - http://en.wikipedia....Ngọc_Loan

Further there is a quote from Eddie Adams the Photographer

The photo won Adams the 1969 Pulitzer Prize for Spot News Photography, though he was later said to have regretted the impact it had. The image became an anti-war icon. Concerning General Nguyễn and his famous photograph, Eddie Adams later wrote in Time:

"The general killed the Viet Cong; I killed the general with my camera. Still photographs are the most powerful weapon in the world. People believe them, but photographs do lie, even without manipulation. They are only half-truths ... What the photograph didn't say was, 'What would you do if you were the general at that time and place on that hot day, and you caught the so-called bad guy after he blew away one, two or three American soldiers?"

post-7746-0-81514500-1304085142_thumb.jpg

• Admin (Retired)
broden

i'm gonna help you guys out with this one

i modified the thread title

Davaoeno

i'm gonna help you guys out with this one

i modified the thread title

Broden is obviously a firm believer in the " if you cant fight them may as well join them" principle !

• Admin (Retired)
broden

not exactly

but i do like a good off topic as much as the next guy

InternetTough

The man who was executed deserved to die. He had killed many civilians.The man doing the executing was legitimate authority in a time of extremely severe challenge to the state's power and its ability to safely try and incarcerate murderers. There was fighting in Saigon. Under those circumstances, there really wasn't anything wrong in what the South Vietnamese national police chief did. Even in the USA, police might shoot at mere looters during a time of riot.

Imagine if the punishment for murder there and then was life imprisonment. The state wasn't powerful enough to keep him in prison. The murderer would have been released in 1975 and given a hero's reward by the North Vietnamese. That didn't happen.

As for the photo's impact on me...I have seen it from my childhood, back when it first came out. It is a well-known image. I don't see it as particularly anti-Asian. It is a historical photograph. It is not a nice photograph. But being convicted of not being nice should not result in punishment, even in 2011.

As for the currency exchange rate--------I have no opinion!

Edited by InternetTough

Our scholarly member "davaolife" is questioning now why I changed my avatar ... Well, it was because he commented on my previous avatar in this thread of not long ago:

Thread: Yet another Filipina drug mule

I stated:

Well, in that case, I guess it would be alright if she started robbing banks too ... Living in a country like the Philippines that affords little to no opportunities for the great majority of the population still does not give the poor the right to be drug smugglers, hold-uppers or bank robbers. Using that excuse is bullshit!

I hope she gets what those other 3 got in China. She can cry all she wants about how desperate she was to make a fast peso, but it ain't going to help her a bit!

How many of these Filipinos have to get busted and sentenced to death for smuggling dope before the rest of them wise-up? ... I guess they ain't quiet figured that one out yet.

And then the infamous "davaolife" posts this about my response in his ever present blue type:

seems like a strange attitude for someone who feels that the law doesnt apply to him !! [ avatar is a get out of jail free card]

So, I changed my avatar from the Monopoly "Get Out of Jail Free Card" ... to the one you see now.

Ozepete

I agree, I can't see how it can be described as p*ornography, but using it on a forum such as this as an avatar is sic.

There is a time and place for everything and to use the picture of a man being murdered in violation of the Geneva convention, in this situation is very wrong.

The killing of any person without trial, regardless of how evil we believe the victim to be, is barbaric and does not need glorification.

loosehead

I had a whinge about this avatar on the open forum when turbota first used it last year. I don't do behind the scenes PM complaints to mods or admin. In hindsight, and having read the other poster's views, the fact that I find it offensive is no reason to ban it.

The avatar is a reflection of the person and if that is the image turbota wishes to project, so be it.

With the exchange rate for the $A now US$1.09 we have booked a holiday in the US. This will be our third trip to that great country and we just hope the $A holds up for a few more months.

Spango58

Presently in country and lovin the exchange rate, holidaying in Santa Fe Bantanyan Island, then back to Cebu City.

Cheers

Mark n Mae

The avatar in itself is just a picture, not a particularly nice one but only a picture, it can only be interpreted as offensive or otherwise when viewed within the context that it was posted, for instance we all know of Turbota's dislike of sales staff following him around, if the picture depicts what he feels should be done when he gets the obligatory "out of stock sir" then I guess many would find it offensive....

:twocents:

David Spicer

When I arrived in Jan 2008 the US$ would buy you just under 41 PHP OR about 1 CDN dollar.

Now the US$ will buy you almost 43 PHP OR about 95 CDN cents.

So I think the US$ is doing well against the peso. Problem is, it did so VERY well during that world crisis that US expats got too used to the unusually high rate.

Annual Dollar exchange averages since I moved here on 1 Feb 2007:

2007: P45.66 (1 Feb - 31 Dec)

2008: P44.27

2009: P47.44

2010: P44.94

YTD: P43.52 (1 Jan - 30 Apr)

I budget about P50,000 a month, or about $1,175 @ P42.5. In 2007 that would have been an average of only about $1,100, but in fact I spent much less than that when I first arrived; more along the lines of $800 a month. In that 4 years however, I got married and we had a child.

It is more than just the exchange rate that is the culprit here, and in fact the exchange rate is a small part. Inflation is very real, very high, and it's only going to get worse. According to my calculations, I will have incurred about a 35% increase in my cost-of-living here by the time that I have been here for 5 years. But that is also going from single to a family of 3, which to me is incredible.

We may not be living like we would be living in the States, where we would probably both working. But we are not living in poverty either, even by US standards, and neither of us are employed. My friends and family back in the States are quite simply amazed.