THE CURRENCY EXCHANGE RATE SUCKS ! ! !

I have lived here continually for the last 5 years.

Everybody has there own gripes about living in this place, but what really is bothering me now is the current exchange rate between the peso and the US dollar!

Everybody keeps telling there friends back in there home country how damned cheap it is to live here ... Well, maybe it's dirt cheap for some guys that come from Europe, but if you come from the US, the exchange rate is not your buddy.

Great news today ... We now busted the infamous 42 to 1 range.

Oh well, I am out of here sometime this year, so I can deal with all this, but I feel sorry for you poor people that are pretty much stuck here for some reason or another .... Enjoy!

PictureRate.jpg

Edited by broden
  • Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• smokey

• Turbota

• Stranded Shipscook

• David Spicer

Athena

I like to say sorry, but that would sound hypocritical of me as im happy to see the pound steadily increasing in value at long last

Paul

Stuck? I wouldn't say stuck, for most anyway.

Some of us have been able to convert some of our earned income directly to pesos, so as not to be affected as much as others, by the exchange rate. I think that, above all else, is the key.

PapaRay

OUCH THAT HURTS!!!! Hopefully the dodo's in Washington will get thier heads out of thier butts and work to correct our economy

Panserhansen

In July 2008 1 NOK(Norwegian krone) was 9 peso.

December 2008 6,5.

Stayed that way for a long time, then started climbing and now it's 8,16.

A_Simple_Man

When I arrived in Jan 2008 the US$ would buy you just under 41 PHP OR about 1 CDN dollar.

Now the US$ will buy you almost 43 PHP OR about 95 CDN cents.

So I think the US$ is doing well against the peso. Problem is, it did so VERY well during that world crisis that US expats got too used to the unusually high rate.

aussiedon

"Oh well, I am out of here sometime this year, so I can deal with all this, but I feel sorry for you poor people that are pretty much stuck here for some reason or another .... Enjoy!"

Huh?? You are here solely for the exchange rate? or did i miss your point?

I don't understand what leaving the Philippines will do, as the US$ is worth less everywhere at the moment, probably even in the US.

I can get US$1.09, and P46.5 for my Australian dollar at the moment.

Damn being stuck here at those rates. rolleyes.gif

Edited by kavorka
thebob

QE2, the more money you print, the less the rest is worth.

TheDuke

With all due respect, I have a hard time feeling sorry for someone who complains about having to pay a little more when you can afford a house that is a palace by Philippine, and for that matter, western standards. Plus your avatar is disturbing and should not be allowed on this forum because in my opinion it denigrates Asians.

Edited by TheDuke
softail

Cut and Past:

"More controversially, Romer lauds QE for helping to weaken the dollar. A weaker dollar makes U.S. goods more competitive overseas, boosting exports and GDP growth, and ultimately hiring. While that's true, she seems to overlook the impact a weak dollar has on ordinary Americans in terms of falling buying power and punishment for savers and those living on fixed-incomes."

http://finance.yahoo.com/blogs/daily-ticker/bring-qe3-t-afford-not-more-romer-says-20110407-045249-959.html

It looks like the weak dollar is no accident, is part of US policy.

Doug

With all due respect, I have a hard time feeling sorry for someone who complains about having to pay a little more when you can afford a house that is a palace by Philippine, and for that matter, western standards. Plus your avatar is disturbing and should not be allowed on this forum because in my opinion it denigrates Asians.

Gotta go along with you there, disgusting.

Doug

Say thank you to Bernanke, Geitner and Obama for that.

QE2, the more money you print, the less the rest is worth.

lazydays

The US$ is doing quite well,all things considered.

The UK

smokey

i think the avatar has a special meaning the viet nam vets..... often the bad guys(VC) unless they ADMITED to be bad guys could not be arrested .... think of it like a guy break's into your house and he steals everything and hits you with a base ball bat but you cant have him arrested because he was not caught IN the house.. you know he is the guy who did it but the law says well if he dont admit it let him go//// what is happening in the avatar is the person who is being shot is a killer himself and instead of a long court case with lawyers and no justice for the people he killed its lights out... not much different then vigalantie justice here is it

The US$ is doing quite well,all things considered.

The UK£ has dropped 35% from its highest to its lowest over the last 5yrs,and you think,you got it tough.

If the US$ was @ P33/34 then your whining would be justified.

i think what he is saying and i could be wrong is for the amount of money he spends to live here the pay off is small .... /// i think married guys do not look at living here the same way unmarried guys do..

Edited by robert51