Cell Phone Questions

I have the chance to buy a new Motorola V3 Razr Unlocked GSM Phone (Black Edition) for $129 US .......is this a good price and phone ....the store says it set for 850 900 1800 and 1900 making it a triband ......will it work in the Phils ........ now was wondering about this statement made by the seller ....

Please Note: All of our unlocked cellular phones are only designed to work on GSM networks such as Cingular and T-Mobile (in the U.S.) and Fido and Rogers (in Canada). These phones are NOT compatible with CDMA carriers such as Verizon and Sprint. If your intended service provider is not among those major carriers, please contact that provider to determine GSM compatibility.

Does this mean I can't use it with a simms card bought in the Phils or can this phone be addapted for use with any cards .....

Thanks for any help

Mike

eepromm99
I have the chance to buy a new Motorola V3 Razr Unlocked GSM Phone (Black Edition) for $129 US .......is this a good price and phone ....the store says it set for 850 900 1800 and 1900 making it a triband ......will it work in the Phils ........ now was wondering about this statement made by the seller ....

Please Note: All of our unlocked cellular phones are only designed to work on GSM networks such as Cingular and T-Mobile (in the U.S.) and Fido and Rogers (in Canada). These phones are NOT compatible with CDMA carriers such as Verizon and Sprint. If your intended service provider is not among those major carriers, please contact that provider to determine GSM compatibility.

Does this mean I can't use it with a simms card bought in the Phils or can this phone be addapted for use with any cards .....

Thanks for any help

Mike

Price is reasonable and it should work no problem.

I think they use 900/1800 in the Phils but it is Quad band (not tri-band) so there is really no GSM that it can't work with, should work anywhere just pop in your sim card assuming the phone is unlocked.

What they are talking about is that it won't work on CDMA which means Sprint and Verizon primarily. Most of the rest of the world uses GSM. These are just competing technologies basically sim cards go in GSM phones and CDMA uses a code programmed into the phone (usually but there is a new kind of CDMA sim card for the record lol).

Personally i'm not a big razr fan but some people love em. Personally if it was me I would go for a Sony k750i for around the same price, better features, 2 megapixel camera and memory card slot.

Thanks for any help

Mike

It should be able to be used. I got a Siemens phone with the same statement and I am using a SIM card from Smart. I am using it in the US. As long as there is a GSM network, the phone can be used. Mine jumps from T-Mobile to some wierd network when I visit my parents. I got my phone from http://www.cellphoneshop.net/ . Just be careful if you order anything from there, sometimes the charger and batteries aren't included.

hey thanks for the replies guys ........

eepromm99 ..............the cheapest I could find the Sony for is $199.00 ......more than $70 difference ....is it really worth that much of a difference ?????????

Steve ...here's what it comes with ...........

post-4-1181057680_thumb.jpg

Edited by Mike S
eepromm99
hey thanks for the replies guys ........

eepromm99 ..............the cheapest I could find the Sony for is $199.00 ......more than $70 difference ....is it really worth that much of a difference ?????????

Steve ...here's what it comes with ...........

post-4-1181057680_thumb.jpg

If you would use the camera or if you wanted to use it to listen to music, etc (because the sony has expandable memory where that particular razr does not) it would be worth the difference if not then no. The camera on the k750i is one of the first that actually takes good pics (even has a mechanical auto-focus lens).

kingfisher

I wouldn't even consider anything else but a Nokia. I have had many, dropped them, got them wet etc. Never had a problem. Even the sound quality is better. When ever I talk on somebody else's phone, I can't help but notice the difference in clarity. This specifically goes for Motorola, I am sorry to say. The latest Nokia N95 is amazing, with 5.1 megapixel camera, navigator, mp3 player etc

eepromm99
I wouldn't even consider anything else but a Nokia. I have had many, dropped them, got them wet etc. Never had a problem. Even the sound quality is better. When ever I talk on somebody else's phone, I can't help but notice the difference in clarity. This specifically goes for Motorola, I am sorry to say. The latest Nokia N95 is amazing, with 5.1 megapixel camera, navigator, mp3 player etc

Yes the n95 is great but like I said on the other topic it is $800+. I like my nokia n80 and those can be had for maybe $350. To anyone interested n80 has better screen resolution, n95 has better camera and gps mapping. Other than that they are functionally the same.

I also have the k750i though and it's a good phone too. (also have a treo 650 and a cingular 8125 too which are also nice but much bigger).

Just a thought - You definitely want to consider carefully before you carry around an $800 cell phone regardless of where you are. When you drop it in the toilet accidentally you ARE going to cry :cool_01:

$200 worth of phone is even a risk. Sometimes when I go out drinking I take a cheaper phone vs my n80 because I have lost phones or had them stolen before.

kingfisher
When you drop it in the toilet accidentally you ARE going to cry :cool_01:

I dropped my 6600 in the toilet, drunk while pissing. Please don't tell the guy I sold it to! :as-if:

Well just got my new Razr V3 .......really nice phone ....now the hard part ......learning how to use it.... :as-if: ....by the looks of the 85 page users guide (all in English) it is going to take a heap of reading and studying before I get it down pat ....if ever ....... :as-if:

• 7 months later...

Does a GSM phone from Thailand use the same frequency bands as one from the Philippines? If not, how much is a base model? I picked up a cheap LG cell phone (Korean made) for traveling in Thailand and it cost me $42 brand new in the box. The sim card was separate, of course- and I also bought another battery. But the total package was $60. Is that competitive with the cheap phones there?

Does a GSM phone from Thailand use the same frequency bands as one from the Philippines? If not, how much is a base model? I picked up a cheap LG cell phone (Korean made) for traveling in Thailand and it cost me $42 brand new in the box. The sim card was separate, of course- and I also bought another battery. But the total package was $60. Is that competitive with the cheap phones there?

I would say yes. It should work according to what I have read. Below is the chart of frequencies for areas of the world.

Area

Band

USA/Canada 1900 (primary)/850

Europe 900/1800

Middle East 900/1800

Africa 900/1800

Asia 900/1800

Australia/New Zealand 900/1800

Caribbean 850/900

I would say yes. It should work according to what I have read. Below is the chart of frequencies for areas of the world.

Area

Band

USA/Canada 1900 (primary)/850

Europe 900/1800

Middle East 900/1800

Africa 900/1800

Asia 900/1800

Australia/New Zealand 900/1800

Caribbean 850/900

I would say no.

Almost all cheap phones bought in Asia won't work in the US/Canada.

Phones like the Razr are fine. It will work here for sure.

You can get cheap basic new unlocked Nokia or Motorola phones here for around $50, used they are even cheaper. A Smart Sim card is about $1.50.

They won't work back in the US/Canada though.

My Thailand phone will not work in the USA. But USA is 1900/850, and Thailand and Phils are both 900/1800. I would think no problem going from Thailand to Phils.

My Thailand phone will not work in the USA. But USA is 1900/850, and Thailand and Phils are both 900/1800. I would think no problem going from Thailand to Phils.

sorry, I must be confused. You are right.

CONFIRMATION! Remember Kevin the cheapskate who I always deride on this forum? He worked in Thailand for a while and commuted to PI for the love of his woman, and he tells me no problem. At least with his phone. So I think my LG will be fine.