Philippine doctor told to divorce dying wife

Jess Bartone

Of course, on the other side of the argument, if Australia started admitting immigrants that they know are going to require expensive medical care, possibly at taxpayer expense...well then all the Aussies would be cribbing about the parasites sucking the country dry and taking advantage of the Aussie immigration laws. Immigration is damned if they do, and damned if they don't.

Hopefully some publicity will get them to relent on this case, but I wouldn't bet on it. If you bend the rules for one, there will be flood of lawsuits demanding the rules are bent for all.

*ahem* excuse me Mr Mason, but if they were muslims there would be no problem... Christians take a hike.

Example... 1 muslim, 3 wives (1 legal, 2 live in), 18 children, drawing $5,000+ a week on social security, never worked a f**king day in their miserable lives. Not just 1 "family", but hundreds of them.

In this case we have a much-needed doctor who is willing to work in far-flung outposts (that Aussie doctors won't because there are no yuppy coffee shops or other hangouts), and presumably on a very handsome salary.

Yes I'm "cribbing about parasites", but this family is exactly what Australia needs more of, not the other sort of scum suckers I described.

• Like 3
  • Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• docjun01

• Jess Bartone

• Cary

• Paul

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The staff, membership, and myself are very sorry for your loss, sir.

I reckon one could just about guarantee that all the folk here on this forums, feels a sense of sadness for the loss of the wife and mother in this story... And as an Aussie, I was angry and saddened

*ahem* excuse me Mr Mason, but if they were muslims there would be no problem... Christians take a hike.   Example... 1 muslim, 3 wives (1 legal, 2 live in), 18 children, drawing $5,000+ a week on s

loosehead

*ahem* excuse me Mr Mason, but if they were muslims there would be no problem... Christians take a hike.

Example... 1 muslim, 3 wives (1 legal, 2 live in), 18 children, drawing $5,000+ a week on social security, never worked a f**king day in their miserable lives. Not just 1 "family", but hundreds of them.

In this case we have a much-needed doctor who is willing to work in far-flung outposts (that Aussie doctors won't because there are no yuppy coffee shops or other hangouts), and presumably on a very handsome salary.

Yes I'm "cribbing about parasites", but this family is exactly what Australia needs more of, not the other sort of scum suckers I described.

Mason has correctly identified the issue. This decision would be made regardless of the Doctor's religion. The bureaucrats are just following the rules set up with the best of intentions. Now it requires a political solution, intervention by the Minister for Immigration to ensure this woman can be treated in aussie and her husband and daughters become permanent residents.

If my wife fails her upcoming medical, she could be refused her visa.

Also, along with other assurances, I need to guarantee that I will finance her medical expenses for the first 2 years until her visa becomes permanent, and repay the government for any medical expenses she may incur with them.

The original story is a sad one, especially since the doctor has taken the correct route for his visa, as opposed to most who try and jump the queue.

However, everyone needs to meet the criteria and follow the rules.

Jess Bartone

..... intervention by the Minister for Immigration to ensure this woman can be treated in aussie and her husband and daughters become permanent residents.

Perhaps we don't see eye to eye on the other matter, but about this family we are in agreement 100%.

Exactly spot on ! I could not agree more !

• Admin (Retired)
broden

wait a minute

if i convert and become a Muslim and move to Australia

can i get a piece of that?

Jess Bartone

wait a minute

if i convert and become a Muslim and move to Australia

can i get a piece of that?

Yep, just go to Indonesia, get on a boat without a passport or any travel documents and sail into Australian waters.

Meanwhile all the people who go through the right channels like the good doctor and his family just get shafted.

• Like 1
  • Admin (Retired)
broden

packing

• Like 1

Mason is right. If OZ were to bend its rules for the dr. then it would have to do so for everyone. And Jesse is right, the dr. and his family is exactly not only what OZ needs but every country on the planet. OZ should have some flexibility in its rules so that cases like the dr. are allowed in. And this notion of letting the Muslims have a free ride as described above to me is nothing more than P.C . BS that needs to stop.

loosehead

Just to put some of the emotive views on immigration in perspective, there were around 150 000 migrants to Australia last year Around 50% were skilled migrants and around 30% family reunion. 7% were "humanitarian". The humanitarian category includes those who have gone through the refugee process as well as a small number of boat people whoi are assessed as being genuine refugees. The numbers of boat people entering australia averages around 2000 per year and currently around half of these are not meeting the criteria. How the politicians are able to stir up such hysteria around such a small number of asylum seekers just amazes me. Our friends in the US, England and Germany must look at these numbers and think we are a joke.

The good Doctor would of course be a skilled migrant and it appears he is now seeking to get his family permanent residency in the family reunion category. There are quite rightly rules in place to prevent sick people entering Australia to take advantage of our very generous free medical. If you married a woman in the Philippines and during the medical to get into Australia she was found to have cancer or another serious disease, her visa application is likely to be declined.

spooks

i had to read this story a few times to understand it, i cant believe that our immigration can be so callous, but when i see my i own situation then i can believe, tried three times for my GF on a tourist visa and been knocked back, Aussie Embassy in Manlia biggest bunch feckwits that ever walked the planet have no respect for them wotso ever. Intend to move to Cebu when i can.

Cheers

Mark

mark i left WA for the exact same reason even put up a 100 thou deposit bond to cover a 3 week toursim visa all the wankers in manila wanted was the fees so they can continue to issue the standard letter for decline

In the States, specifically California where I am from, the 'experts' think because they do not know that illegals there right now is several thousands. But you ask a local California person and they will tell you its actually a million+. And those same illegals take advantage of the horrible medical system there - - this is what Obama said in passing Obamacare. Our medical system, our school system, the list goes on and on. Is it any wonder that California, one of the largest economies in the world, and remember this is a state, not the country US, but one of its states, and California is seriously in the red. California is broke and its so in large part because the politicians continue to feed and support the million+ illegals in California. To the op, I understand OZ's position. Its first responsibility is to its people. Its legal citizens. Then, as it can it offers humanitarianism aid when it can. To me the humanitarian aid is staring it in the face of this dr. and his family who are willing to go and work and provide a real service and benefit to OZ in an area that few are willing to do so. As i said earlier, OZ can not bend or break its own rules or else it will become just like California, then it can't help anyone. But it can and should have exceptions for the cases like the dr. and his wife. Because again they are and would be a benefit and an asset to OZ and not freeloaders who help bankrupt it such as the case in California.

Just to put some of the emotive views on immigration in perspective, there were around 150 000 migrants to Australia last year Around 50% were skilled migrants and around 30% family reunion. 7% were "humanitarian". The humanitarian category includes those who have gone through the refugee process as well as a small number of boat people whoi are assessed as being genuine refugees. The numbers of boat people entering australia averages around 2000 per year and currently around half of these are not meeting the criteria. How the politicians are able to stir up such hysteria around such a small number of asylum seekers just amazes me. Our friends in the US, England and Germany must look at these numbers and think we are a joke.

The good Doctor would of course be a skilled migrant and it appears he is now seeking to get his family permanent residency in the family reunion category. There are quite rightly rules in place to prevent sick people entering Australia to take advantage of our very generous free medical. If you married a woman in the Philippines and during the medical to get into Australia she was found to have cancer or another serious disease, her visa application is likely to be declined.

The problem with Australia is that the media whip up a frenzy about boat people, and Australia being IMO. a racist society jumps on the bandwagon and starts screaming for blood, the fact that there are many, many more illegals here who fly in from Europe, America and other "first world countries" doesn't count because that doesn't generate TV ratings or sell papers.

The politicians are a pack of weak twats who are driven purely by opinion polls regardless of what's right or wrong, and to be honest I don't feel I could vote either liberal or labour due to the absolute dirth of political talent on either side..... Australian politics has become a shonky business run by the spin doctors and the rest of the hangers on in order to justify their existence.... I hate Australian politicians...... they're as weak as piss...

loosehead

I just heard Immigration Minister Chris Bowen on the radio saying he will intervene to give permanent Australian residency to the Doctor and his family. A good result for the family and for WA.