Sign in to follow this  
retired

Understanding Cable Connections and Speed tests

retired

If this post is in the wrong location i apologize in advance but it is a problem to me . :-)

We do not live in Cebu but Cagayan de Oro but i don't know that location matters regarding my questions . We use a local cable company for both tv and our computer connection . TV reception is fine but computer connection basically sucks . Computer plan is connection for " up to " 1Mbps but is a shared connection . Our download speeds normally run approximately 10 - 40 % of the "up to" range . Exceptions being - 5am - 7am roughly . I can't speak midnight till 5am at my age . :-) In the early am hours i can get 1 Mbps & sometimes a bit more .

I have been communicating with our local provider and according to them there is nothing wrong with our connection that they see. Their speed test had me being able to download from " their server " at 92.66 bps while an actual download was running at 25 Kbps . I ran the Speedtest from Bayantel in Manila & they showed a rate of 0.45 Mbps with a Ping of 186 ms . Sky Broadband - Manila gave a ping of 47 ms and a download speed of 0.97 ( though i don't know if that means 97 out of a possible 100 or less than 1 % ) :-)

I am just wondering if the local cable company is either throttling bandwidth or simply wants me to go away . :-) Or , maybe i am not clear on how to interpret the speed test numbers ?

We are considering switching to PLDT but the service in our price range would also be " up to " 1 Mbps & i hesitate to sign a 1 year contract and have no better download speeds than we have . Note: we run a new install of Linux - Ubuntu and don't do gaming so i don't think it's the OS .

Understanding Appreciated

Alan & Daisy on the beautiful north shore of Mindanao

:-)

USMC-Retired

First off there are no online sites that will give you true internet speed. So speedtest.net or others are your burst speed. So that is very very inaccurate. Most will give you that burst to the speed you want. However can they sustain the speed...

Also by what you are saying there is a very high contention rate. To many people on the highway at the same time. Rush hour.

Though we can look at a few things further to narrow it all down.

So how do you determine your speed.

The contention ratio plays such a big factor in the time it takes to route the data to your computer. There are 4 primary things that determine your speed.

Your own PC/network.

Router and modem

Your ISP's network.

The remote network.

Additionally you can have a shaper placed by the ISP thus slowing down your connection rate. What I like to use is a program called Diff Probe. Download Link

Post your results of it.

This program will tell you what your speed is and if you are being shaped to actually lower your speed. Additionally if you read the above rules you can download a program called Hijack this. If your run the program and you can cut and paste your results to me via PM. I can tell if you have a computer issue.

Last thing is that Windows in general does not maximize your Packet transfer. It will then slow your computer internet down. However not affecting your burst speed or internet speed but the browsing and downloading.

Edited by Norseman

CardiacKid

I run Mint Linux and have found that my download speeds are 5-10 kbps faster in Linux than in Windoze. As far as your cable internet is concerned, it sounds like the cable company has too many connections on your cable line. This is a known problem with cable and I am unaware of any good solution. I've had PLDT DSL service for almost 2 years at my location in Minglanilla, Cebu. I pay for a up to 1 mbps connection and my speed tests. I use http://TestMy.net/ to run my speed tests and they consistently show a speed of 1.2 to 1.4 mbps. They have been much more reliable than my previous Globe connection. Hope this helps.

USMC-Retired

Here is an example of my Diff Probe that I just ran.

So we can look at Globe's 1Mb connection....

DiffProbe beta release. October 2009. Build 1002.

Shaper Detection Module.

Connected to server 64.9.225.179.

Estimating capacity:

Upstream: 248 Kbps. Up speed almost like a burst

Downstream: 1102 Kbps. Down speed almost like a burst

The measurement will take upto 2.5 minutes. Please wait.

Checking for traffic shapers:

Upstream: No shaper detected. Good they do not throttle my upstream

Median received rate: 224 Kbps. Average speed I can expect to upload at

Downstream: Measurement aborted due to high packet loss rate. oops why did that happen. Contention on the line. Yet my burst above was good.

Edited by Norseman

USMC-Retired
Mint Linux and have found that my download speeds are 5-10 kbps faster in Linux than in Windoze

This theroy. Yet really unfounded. Users find that Linux is faster for reasons that have nothing to do with internet speed.

Primary reason is Linux tends to be faster with the click. Less restrictive getting to the net, NO CLUTTER. So yes out of the box it is easy to say Linux is better configured. That is not to say that Windows can not be configured the same. Plus Linux being semi based on Unix would make it networking less restrictive. However those restrictions or clutter can be removed from Windows. Thus the difference will be null. Also Linux being less of a resource hog can make it appear faster. However remember that speed is speed. If you have a 1Mb connection you are not going to get 2Mb because you are using Linux. The process to which it delivers the information to you can and will be faster out of the box with Linux. Memory CPU and all the resources for Linux are less. A fast Windows machine will see no difference. My two cents on that.

Dragon

What cable modem are you using? Using a speed test will give you an idea as to the capabilities of all the components Tim listed above. To really see how you are provisioned you need to go into the cable modems status page and observe the upload and download numbers. Typically you can access the modm status by going to an address such as 192.168.1.0 (ask your provider what he addres is for your modem). Too many users on a cable link slowing it down due to contention is hogwash. ADSL links suffer from user contention issues.

If your cable modem shows the proper bitrates then the ISP is the source of your problems.

USMC-Retired
Too many users on a cable link slowing it down due to contention is hogwash

That is not correct. We do not know how they have set the cable network up. So yes it can be a huge problem. Additional problems can be with the proxy field. The servers are slow in transmitting data out to fibre. So many variables in the cheap way they do internet here in the PH. Considering that the norm for max speed on cable is 8mbps. So with a few users sharing the same piece of cable it can be a problem.

Though I agree in Western Societies this may never be a problem. However we are not in Kansas.

Contention on cable is usually between you and the fibre optic network, this depends on how many people are using the bandwidth in your area, for example, if the whole street is downloading a movie, it will slow down, as you're all on the same "cable".
Edited by Norseman

Dragon

The width of the RF channel is 6 Mhz (USA) and 8 Mhz (Euro). Don't confuse RF bandwidth with bitrate. The bitratess are considerably higher. All cable modems comply with the DOCSIS specification. Taken from : http://en.wikipedia..../Cable_internet

Downstream, the direction toward the user, bit rates can be as much as 400Mbit/s for business connections, and 100Mbit/s for residential service in some countries. Upstream traffic, originating at the user, ranges from 384Kbit/s to more than 20Mbit/s. One downstream channel can handle hundreds of cable modems. As the system grows, the cable modem termination system (CMTS) can be upgraded with more downstream and upstream ports, and grouped into hubs CMTS for efficient management.

Most Data Over Cable Service Interface Specification (DOCSIS) cable modems restrict upload and download rates, with customizable limits. These limits are set in configuration files which are downloaded to the modem using the Trivial File Transfer Protocol, when the modem first establishes a connection to the provider's equipment.[1] Some users have attempted to override the bandwidth cap and gain access to the full bandwidth of the system (often as much as 30 Mbit/s), by uploading their own configuration file to the cable modem - a process called uncapping. Uncapping is almost always a violation of the Terms of Service agreement.

It really does not matter if it is Cebu, Bumfeck Egypt or Kansas. The OP needs to first determine if his cable modem is provisioned correctly.

Edited by Dragon

retired

The width of the RF channel is 6 Mhz (USA) and 8 Mhz (Euro). Don't confuse RF bandwidth with bitrate. The bitratess are considerably higher. All cable modems comply with the DOCSIS specification. Taken from : http://en.wikipedia..../Cable_internet

Downstream, the direction toward the user, bit rates can be as much as 400Mbit/s for business connections, and 100Mbit/s for residential service in some countries. Upstream traffic, originating at the user, ranges from 384Kbit/s to more than 20Mbit/s. One downstream channel can handle hundreds of cable modems. As the system grows, the cable modem termination system (CMTS) can be upgraded with more downstream and upstream ports, and grouped into hubs CMTS for efficient management.

Most Data Over Cable Service Interface Specification (DOCSIS) cable modems restrict upload and download rates, with customizable limits. These limits are set in configuration files which are downloaded to the modem using the Trivial File Transfer Protocol, when the modem first establishes a connection to the provider's equipment.[1] Some users have attempted to override the bandwidth cap and gain access to the full bandwidth of the system (often as much as 30 Mbit/s), by uploading their own configuration file to the cable modem - a process called uncapping. Uncapping is almost always a violation of the Terms of Service agreement.

It really does not matter if it is Cebu, Bumfeck Egypt or Kansas. The OP needs to first determine if his cable modem is provisioned correctly.

Ok , guys , thanks for the input . After some coffee i will see if i can gather some additional info . Will say that previous experience with same company at a previous address had me complaining and when they came out and checked the cable running from the telephone pole to my house they just replaced the entire line because the connector(s) were already deteriorated after only being installed 5 - 6 months . We have been at our current location approx. same time frame so maybe it's the same thing . I assume due to not being fiber optic & not being " in Kansas " anymore .

The modem is provided by the cable company and is Scientific Atlanta by name , manufactured in China in Sept 2007 if that helps any ? Actually when they came out and replaced my line previously the first thing they did was check the modem probably trying to avoid having to climb the pole . :-)

As an aside i just prefer Linux to Windows as my wife and i don't game and Windows just has more bells and whistles than i need . Kids do game and run Windows 7 but off of a second installed hard drive but i am assuming the Windows install would not effect the Linus install since it's not a dual boot on one drive . This machine is a few years old and processor is only 1.8 Intel Dual Core with a 1gig memory . Will upgrade as budget permits . :-)

I did get one response from a local regarding the PLDT 100 Mbps plan and he was getting close to his 1 Mbps plan initially but says after a few weeks his download speeds have dropped to about 30 Kbps... which puts him in the same boat as me ... though his paddles are newer ... :-

mahogany

Thanks for the guidance, Tim :)

My reading:

Shaper Detection Module.

Connected to server 213.244.128.168.

Estimating capacity:

Upstream: 36 Kbps.

Downstream: 579 Kbps.

The measurement will take upto 3.0 minutes. Please wait.

Upstream: Burst size: 23 KB;

Shaping rate: 37 Kbps.

Downstream: Burst size: 201-217 KB;

Shaping rate: 298 Kbps.

Globelines :biggrin_01:

David Spicer

SmartBro (antenna on the roof flavor)

Shaper Detection Module.

Connected to server 83.212.4.11.

Estimating capacity:

Upstream: 182 Kbps.

Downstream: 1500 Kbps.

Upstream: No shaper detected.

Median received rate: 186 Kbps.

Downstream: No shaper detected.

Median received rate: 1213 Kbps.

retired

First off there are no online sites that will give you true internet speed. So speedtest.net or others are your burst speed. So that is very very inaccurate. Most will give you that burst to the speed you want. However can they sustain the speed...

Also by what you are saying there is a very high contention rate. To many people on the highway at the same time. Rush hour.

Though we can look at a few things further to narrow it all down.

So how do you determine your speed.

The contention ratio plays such a big factor in the time it takes to route the data to your computer. There are 4 primary things that determine your speed.

Additionally you can have a shaper placed by the ISP thus slowing down your connection rate. What I like to use is a program called Diff Probe. Download Link

Post your results of it.

This program will tell you what your speed is and if you are being shaped to actually lower your speed. Additionally if you read the above rules you can download a program called Hijack this. If your run the program and you can cut and paste your results to me via PM. I can tell if you have a computer issue.

Last thing is that Windows in general does not maximize your Packet transfer. It will then slow your computer internet down. However not affecting your burst speed or internet speed but the browsing and downloading.

Ok , guys .. took me a while to get things done as i couldn't get Daisy out of the Facebook :-) Also had to install 3rd party software to run a Windows executable ... but at least in Linux you can do that ... :-)

Speed Test recommended by Cardiac Kid Results :

:::.. Download Test Results ..:::

Download Connection is:: 878 Kbps about 0.9 Mbps (tested with 1024 kB)

Download Speed is:: 110 kB/s

Tested From:: http://testmy.net/ (Dallas, TX USA)

Validation Link:: http://testmy.net/db/5hlYQAz

Test Time:: 2011-04-18 21:29:11 GMT -7

1MB Download in 9.31 Seconds - 1GB Download in ~3 Minutes - 15X faster than 56K

Tested from a 1024 kB file and took 9.55 seconds to complete

Running at 55% of hosts average (unknown)

User Agent:: Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux i686; en-US; rv:1.9.2.16) Gecko/20110323

Note: I did not run tests for larger file downloads... but can if useful

DiffProbe Results:

Shaper Detection Module.

Connected to server 64.9.225.142.

Estimating capacity:

Upstream: 226 Kbps.

Downstream: 1140 Kbps.

Median received rate: 224 Kbps.

Downstream: Burst size: 16-55 KB;

Shaping rate: 1010 Kbps.

Just looking the numbers look good to me but would appreciate more knowledgeable opinions ...

Thanks

miles-high

PLDT

Estimating capacity:

Upstream: 835 Kbps.

Downstream: 3470 Kbps.

Median received rate: 821 Kbps.

Median received rate: 3397 Kbps.

What does "No shaper detected" mean?

:animal0028:

Bob Ward

PLDT

Estimating capacity:

Upstream: 835 Kbps.

Downstream: 3470 Kbps.

Median received rate: 821 Kbps.

Median received rate: 3397 Kbps.

What does "No shaper detected" mean?

:animal0028:

It means they are not throttling your bandwidth and or prioritizing some traffic over others!

USMC-Retired

Retired,

It sounds like you have a computer issue. Not an issue with the ISP. Make sure you run a good antivirus and a good Malware/spyware program.

Additionally get a program called TCP optimize for your windows machine. Download Link

This is easy to use. Just download and run. There is a slider move that to your current internet speed. Then click the radio button that says optimal. Then apply. It will change your windows setting to best match your speed. This will open up alot of your settings and increase your performance.

If you have only a linux machine. Then I am at a loss of what the problem seems to be. Though NIC card may have the wrong drivers or that it has drivers that provision it to react incorrect. So check the drivers for your machine.

One last thing are you a direct connect or through another router ie: wireless? As that could also cause you issues with configuration.

Edited by Norseman