Sign in to follow this  
David_LivinginTalisay

'Raw Honey' as medical treatment?

David_LivinginTalisay

Here is the burn from the exhaust pipe that I got after fitting the alloy engine skid plate mounting bolt then careless lifted my hand a little too high-

18042011636.jpg

I thought I would try the raw honey on that burn - what real harm can such natural product do?

18042011637.jpg

Here is the burn on my calf where my leg, covered in wrangled denim jeans, was against the engine casing for a minute or so whilst my asawa took her time climbing off as she seemed incapable of just sliding/shifter all her weight onto just the left foot-peg to make my job of lifting the bike upright again from the lean when front wheel started sliding on loose gravel during steep descent. Hit the 'Kill' Switch to stop the engine, and use it as an effective brake via the gearbox. With the bike tilted to the right and my right foot down, it was too much, with her weight (>50Kg) on my right leg my weight (195Kg) as well as the bike (115Kg+). I did not really notice the heat through my denim jeans to start with but with prolonged contact it started feeling 'rather warm', than somewhat hot!

This burn was 11 days earlier than the above burn to my hand, so again decided to put raw honey on the burn to see if would help the healing which seemed a bit 'slow'

I will post some 'after' photos to show any improvement.

David_LivinginTalisay

Well thought I would post an update to the effect of applying raw honey to a burn to my left hand on the downpipe of my XT225 some 20 minute after I turned if off and drained the oil, added the new oil and was fitting the mounting bolt of the Alloy bash plate, then carelessly lift my left hand a little to high when finished the torque to the correct setting.

BEFORE - That BURN to my left Hand, having applied 1st treatment of Raw Honey (which was then repeated daily, for 1 week)

18042011636.jpg

Compare with this BEFORE - BURN to my left calf, having NOT applied any Raw Honey. This 1 week after the Burn

18042011637.jpg

AFTER several weeks

05062011685.jpg

The BURN to my Calf (with no Raw Honey Treatment for 1 week, then just 2 applications

Compare with that BURN to my Left Hand and how it has HEALED, getting Raw Honey each Day* (sometimes twice*, if I had a shower also later in the day, after applying).

My calf looks a bit like it's got a thin slice of Salami stuck to it!

Whilst there is some evidence of a BURN to my left hand, with slightly darker skin colouration and some scaring where the blister formed (then burst while pulling on an arm 'sleeve' so my arm would not get sun-burnt riding my motorcyle), I say that the application of RAW Honey every day for a week, promoted FASTER and BETTER healing, than the burn through my Wrangler Jeans to my Leg.

So I would have no qualms putting Raw Honey on any future burns like that, as certainly no harm or side effects experienced, and certainly look better than the healing to my leg that went a week with no honey then just 2 days treatment.

It is not Scientific or Medical evidence comparison and no review by a trained Doctor for a professional opinion/comparison.

The burn to my hand was direct skin contact to hat metal surface. The burn to my Calf was through thick cotton denim jeans pressed against engine covers, that probably not as hot as the down pipe of the exhaust, but maybe the prolonged exposure to the slightly less intense heat, even through the denim jeans, caused deeper, more penetrating Cell damage to 2nd Degree Burn!,

Such burn may still look different, than the burn to my hand, even if I had I read about such Raw Honey Treatment for Burns and applied that as soon as I got home and repeated every day, like I did with that Burn to my Left Hand?

My Personal Conclusion

In my limited experience, applying RAW HONEY to a burn (that was clean with no infection), certainly did no harm it appears and may well have accelerated healing and improved the healing, based on the outcome of not having applied such treatment to my leg for over a week, before I applied such Raw Honey (which seemed to soften the 'scab' which had come off before, when it cracked and I had a shower). Sure I have much more pronounced discolouration and a totally different kind of scar (but as I said they were different burns, hand was direct, yet leg was INDIRECT via denim jeans. Both were from contact with Hot Metal, but the indirect Burn was longer contact with Hot Surface (but maybe not as Hot as the shorter duration contact of my left hand on a cooling exhaust).

Cipro

What does being in the tropics have to do with it?

alexccms

Some people say put butter on burns, DON'T.

It's true, honey is good for burns and has some antibiotic properties.

The MAIN REASON I'm posting is to caution you guys.

If you have honey in the house AND babies then every person who might feed the baby needs to know:

NEVER feed raw honey to a baby under 12 months of age. Infantile botulism poisoning presents with paralysis. If you're paralyzed you can't breath. That's bad.

Sinbad

My mother in law got badly sunburned on holiday one year and was advised by a local to put slices of beef tomatoes on the affected areas. Beef tomatoes are the big, chunky ones. These apparently did the trick marvellously and the sunburn disappeared much faster and with less pain and peeling than when using after sun. I don't know how well it would work with other kinds of burns but I'd assume that to a certain extent the effect is the same.

Art

Ordinary honey has bacteria in it putting bacteria into a wound doesn't seem to be the brightest action. Here in Australia they have been using Medi grade honey in hospitals it has been treated to rid bad bacteria from the honey. Time will tell. Manuka has a good healing reputation.