Sign in to follow this  
shadow

File recovery

shadow

I have a HD that the operating system has failed on, and have been unable to retrieve files from it. Specifically, "windows/system32/config/system is missing or corrupt". I cannot boot it from CD I think due to HD being too full? It loads the files but when it tries to start windows it fails. I can get into parts of it by plugging it into another computer running same OS, but I cannot access the administrator section to delete enough files to make it boot from CD. All I really care about is file recovery.

Intelligent suggestions welcomed!

Thanks,

Larry

USMC-Retired

Try this:

Take Ownership

To take ownership of a file or a folder

How to take ownership of a file

You must have ownership of a protected file in order to access it. If another user has restricted access and you are the computer administrator, you can access the file by taking ownership.

To take ownership of a file, follow these steps:

Right-click the file that you want to take ownership of, and then click Properties.

Click the Security tab, and then click OK on the Security message (if one appears).

Click Advanced, and then click the Owner tab.

In the Name list, click Administrator, or click the Administrators group, and then click OK.

The administrator or the administrators group now owns the file.

To change the permissions on the file that you now own, follow these steps:

Click Add.

In the Enter the object names to select (examples) list, type the user or group account that you want to have access to the file. For example, type Administrator.

Click OK.

In the Group or user names list, click the account that you want, and then select the check boxes of the permissions that you want to assign that user.

When you are finished assigning permissions, click OK.

You can now access the file.

How to take ownership of a folder

You must have ownership of a protected folder in order to access it. If another user has restricted access and you are the computer administrator, you can access the folder by taking ownership.

To take ownership of a folder, follow these steps:

Right-click the folder that you want to take ownership of, and then click Properties.

Click the Security tab, and then click OK on the Security message (if one appears).

Click Advanced, and then click the Owner tab.

In the Name list, click your user name, or click Administrator if you are logged in as Administrator, or click the Administrators group. If you want to take ownership of the contents of the folder, select the Replace owner on subcontainers and objects check box.

Click OK, and then click Yes when you receive the following message:

You do not have permission to read the contents of directory folder name. Do you want to replace the directory permissions with permissions granting you Full Control?

All permissions will be replaced if you click Yes.

Note folder name is the name of the folder that you want to take ownership of.

Click OK, and then reapply the permissions and security settings that you want for the folder and its contents.

shadow

Try this:

Take Ownership

I can't get o the files I want in order to right click them to take ownership?

I have been all morning trying the various methods of repairing the OS on the internet, however, most involve going through the repair console, which I cannot get to either. One forum mentioned there was a way to repair the OS in DOS? but the link they provided was no longer valid.

Edited by shadow

USMC-Retired

Just the folder they are in. Then click to take the whole folder. That will change the permissions for every file in the folder or subfolders.

shadow

Just the folder they are in. Then click to take the whole folder. That will change the permissions for every file in the folder or subfolders.

I can't get to the folders. I can't get into the administrator part of the drive at all. By plugging into another computer I can get to "all users" and "shared documents", but cannot access the folders in the administrator section from there.

USMC-Retired

See this Link

This sounds like your problem.

shadow

See this Link

This sounds like your problem.

Can't open it, probably a globe thing, as about once a week I have to get nasty with them to open ports so I can visit even my own website.

USMC-Retired

I know this may seem drastic.

However what I have in my arsenal is a live CD. Live CD What this does is boot from the CD. Then it ignores all settings of permission for the folder in question. Then I just open or copy what I need.

It is a permission thing. You have to set the permissions of the computer to access that section. It is a pain sometimes and does not take every time. Yet that is what has to be done.

shadow

I know this may seem drastic.

However what I have in my arsenal is a live CD. Live CD What this does is boot from the CD. Then it ignores all settings of permission for the folder in question. Then I just open or copy what I need.

It is a permission thing. You have to set the permissions of the computer to access that section. It is a pain sometimes and does not take every time. Yet that is what has to be done.

Thanks, I will try it.

Larry

billten

One other thing is you can try to boot it using a Linux build like Puppy or Ubuntu. They boot directly from a flash drive or CD and will then give you access to the drive to perform your surgery and / or backup the files you need.

Ubuntu is available here... http://www.ubuntu.com/desktop/get-ubuntu/download

Edited by billten

FirstTimeInCebu

Larry, you can try a program called GetDataBack for NTFS. I have had success with recovering all files from multiple HDDs. GetDataBack

shadow

I want to thank everyone who responded, with a special thanks to Norseman. I finally got it up and running.

This morning the link "http://www.help2go.com/content/tutorials/28-c-windows-system32-config-system-missing-corrupt.html" that Norseman provided opened for me. (evidently Globe was feeling generous today) It listed 5 options, the first 3 of which were worthless to me of course because I couldn't get into the recovery console.

The 4th option, when I read it, sounded like it would work. IN fact, I had tried yesterday to copy the system folder from my running computer onto the bad HD, which of course didn't work. This method worked through the system restore, copying the system restore system files into the system folder.

I still spent an extra four or so hours of frustration this morning, due to in this options directions they leave one word out of the file string. The word is "snapshot". Jeez, what a difference one word can make.

Once I found that I was home free.

Thanks to everyone. Now, to copy all the files, and reformat.

Larry in Dumaguete

USMC-Retired

Just glad it worked for you...

Tim