We had our interview for 13a visa on thursday in Mandaue.

I was ready to write a scathing, complaining rant about the whole ridiculos episode, and trust me I had time to think it through in my head.

BUT, will it actually get me anywhere? We left with a submission being succesfully sent to Manila, just have to wait now.

I could complain about the 2.5 hour delay from our 'appointment'. The immediate 1.5 hour break for lunch. The unnecessary trips to Xerox (we were basically restocking their forms) The 'mailing and processing fee' (just do your feckin job) The fact it could have been completed in 15 minutes, not the 8 hours we were in the bureau. The rampant racism, the attempts to solicate out of everyone. The failure of each and every point of the Bureau's charter. The additional services not requested that needed paying for and express fee'd.

Sorry I said I wasnt going to rant. Visa is being processed. Keep smiling.

Have a nice day.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• David Spicer

• BoholoX

• SkyMan

• Mailman

SkyMan

How much did he take you for?

How much did he take you for?

My application is being sent in a gold envelope via a unicorn to manila to be processed by scandanavian virgins for the bargain P2500.

It was late, I was tired, he got me.

I did it a few years back did not do the interview, just gave head secretary 34 candy bars for all the girls in the dept. she walk it thru and no cost to ship to manila ,easy to work the system ,good luck

Mailman

That sucks. Back when I did my application(s), I was asked on three separate occassions for some sort of grease to help smooth out the process. The combined requests totalled 23,000 pesos. I politely declined each one.

Look at the bright side, you get to do it all again in a year! :stick_poke:

Headshot

I did it a few years back did not do the interview, just gave head secretary 34 candy bars for all the girls in the dept. she walk it thru and no cost to ship to manila ,easy to work the system ,good luck

I did it last year. There was no interview. I declined their offers for expedite handling and mailing, and amazingly, it still came back from the gurus in Manila in the scheduled time. Boholox, did you notice there was no receipt for the special fee he charged you?

BossHog

Actually...

the whole process is an ongoing psychology experiment designed by the profs at san carlos.

the repeated inanities and insanities are really well-calculated and -calibrated stress inducers.

they are trying to gauge your temperament and suitability for long-term residence in this dysfunctional madhouse of an archipelago.

if you blow yer stack you'll just get sent back to the end of the line.

next time, look around boi for the two-way mirrors, pack a basketful of cheery grins,, and bring a paperback kafka for those long waits on the plastic chairs.

dirtsquirter

Mine was only 1500 extra, I guess it was the fresh loaf of Italian bread and orange choc chip muffins i brought him for skipping the first interview for me that helped save me a little. He saved me the trip for the first interview because we live in Leyte, and it was mid december, so it was just a matter of going there after my application came back from Manila all approved, then having him stamp my passport with the permanent visa, and mailing the old ACR card back to Manila to exchange it for the new permanent 5 year card. Could have been much worse I guess, a friend from the UK told me when he went there the guy told him " I love Benjamin Franklin's picture", you can guess the rest...:P

JamesMusslewhite

Wait till you start the process of getting her a Green card in the US. They make the Filipinos look like proficient pros.

I did it last year. There was no interview. I declined their offers for expedite handling and mailing, and amazingly, it still came back from the gurus in Manila in the scheduled time. Boholox, did you notice there was no receipt for the special fee he charged you?

Yup, the only receipts I got was for stuff I didnt need. Yesterday that I know of he got a bottle of wine, 3 goldilocks cakes and a McD lunch from a couple of Koreans. I have one year to save up.

The Mason

Wait till you start the process of getting her a Green card in the US. They make the Filipinos look like proficient pros.

I don't know....I've been through both the 13(a) process and the US green card process. With the US green card application there were no undocumented fees, surprise documentary requirements, or gratuities required. I needed exactly what was published on various government websites, nothing more, nothing less. Wish I could say the same for the 13(a) process. That seemed to be done at the whim of whichever official was talking to us, the published guidelines meant next to nothing, and there were hands out at every step of the process.

The only problem I had with the green card process was when I had to deal with the Filipino-run medical clinic and the Filipino staff at the US Embassy.

At my 13(a) interview the attorney implied my wife was a prostitute and made several snide comments about Americans who married Filipinas. Good times.

Getting my probationary 13A was a snap. It took the obligatory 3 months between submitting my application paperwork and its arrival, marked "approved", from Manila but once I got it back it only took two days to process it as well as my ACR card application, and most of those delays were my fault: I'd forgotten about the $50, had to go to an ATM, and it being almost Christmas half of those were out of money. The actual processing on BoI's second floor went pretty fast, and the guy (a young Tagalog gentleman) was very helpful in getting everything processed before the Christmas break. He basically walked me through everything and tried to help me get it done as quickly as possible. He never once asked for so much as a peso: the only fees I paid were the ones listed on their website, and those were paid at the cashier's window downstairs and official receipts were issued.

I wish I could say the same for Atty. We-all-know-who. Even the woman who runs the eatery two doors up, where we get our photocopies made, said that he does these delaying tactics on purpose and that if I gave him P2,500 I'd have my visa right away. Ain't gonna happen. Someone else told me that if you respectfully decline to pay the "extra charges" but act friendly with the guy and tell him a few jokes and whatnot, your visa gets processed without as much delay. I don't know any new jokes though. :thumbs_up:

In a way I'm glad to see that it's not just me going through all this, but in another way I'm sorry that anyone else is too.

Edited by Jay
SkyMan

My application is being sent in a gold envelope via a unicorn to manila to be processed by scandanavian virgins for the bargain P2500.

It was late, I was tired, he got me.

Sucks but I've heard lots worse, like in the p6K range. I know the feeling. Do I pay the jerk off (or should that be jerkoff) or does he maybe lose my paperwork?

billten

Sucks but I've heard lots worse, like in the p6K range. I know the feeling. Do I pay the jerk off (or should that be jerkoff) or does he maybe lose my paperwork?

Sorry man, i got took for p5k, exactly the same thoughts going through my mind at the time too, bastards...

Getting my probationary 13A was a snap. It took the obligatory 3 months between submitting my application paperwork and its arrival, marked "approved", from Manila but once I got it back it only took two days to process it as well as my ACR card application, and most of those delays were my fault: I'd forgotten about the $50, had to go to an ATM, and it being almost Christmas half of those were out of money. The actual processing on BoI's second floor went pretty fast, and the guy (a young Tagalog gentleman) was very helpful in getting everything processed before the Christmas break. He basically walked me through everything and tried to help me get it done as quickly as possible. He never once asked for so much as a peso: the only fees I paid were the ones listed on their website, and those were paid at the cashier's window downstairs and official receipts were issued.

I wish I could say the same for Atty. We-all-know-who. Even the woman who runs the eatery two doors up, where we get our photocopies made, said that he does these delaying tactics on purpose and that if I gave him P2,500 I'd have my visa right away. Ain't gonna happen. Someone else told me that if you respectfully decline to pay the "extra charges" but act friendly with the guy and tell him a few jokes and whatnot, your visa gets processed without as much delay. I don't know any new jokes though. :stick_poke:

In a way I'm glad to see that it's not just me going through all this, but in another way I'm sorry that anyone else is too.

I did mine in Intramuros Manila. Paid not one centavo more than listed & got very friendly, helpful, professional treatment. I often wonder why some never get asked for bribes etc but others seem to get nothing else. Lived here for 5 years now & not once asked for a bribe.