Seriously considering Cebu

Terrance

First, I want to thank everyone who has posted over the last feww months. I have read virtually all publically available posts on this forum and have learned a great deal. And I especially want thank the forum members for keeping this forum positive and informative. I have read other Philippines related forums that quickly devolve into petty and vicious bickering. LinC is the only forum that I read regularily now.

After recently taking an "early retirement buyout" I am thinking of making a move to Cebu in the next few months so I will be posting questions in the relevant forums in the near future. Quite frankly, I never want to see snow again, not even in a photo. I have been a midwest resident for many years and am looking forward to making this place nothing more than memories, albeit many good, but none associated with winter! My youngest child (son) graduates from Kansas University next month while my oldest (daughter) starts grad school at Brown University in the same month. My ex is (thankfully) an ex and I have enough money to live comfortably in the Philippines.

So, greetings from Missouri (Kansas City) and I hope to actually meet some of you in the not too distant future.

Thanks

Terrance

Ozepete

Welcome Terrance..and good luck.

Hope you find Cebu has all you need. It has for many. cheers.gif

Cheers..

tigerllc74

Terrance:

Your PM is not working ??? When you got PM, let me know..wanna share about moving to PI.

Tiger

Terrance

Tiger:

I am not sure what you mean by "PM". I guess it means "personal messenger", such as Hotmail or Yahoo messenger services. But that would require posting of email addresses, which I believe is against forum rules. So, educate me about "PM".

Paul

Hi Terrance,

Your PM system is through the forums. It will automatically become enabled after your 50th post on the forums.

It is merely an internal way to communicate privately with other members.

JasonEcos

Welcome!

Being from the midwest (Michigan) I know what you mean about the snow. Getting away from the winters was one of my top 5 reasons for moving. Ironically enough I kinda of miss the seasons now :D. If only winter lasted like 2-3weeks I'd be fine with the snow, its the months of gray skies and shoveling my car out that got to me.

• 2 weeks later...

The constant heat here may take the place of constant cold as a source of complaint for you. Unless you are young thin and go through your days wearing shorts and flipflops and close to water. If that is not the case then the heat will be too much for most westerners . But then you can live closed in and air conditioned, whch will almost be like living closed in and heated back home in winter. I would urge caution about making an irrevocable decision about moving here untill you have a few months experience here. For me the attraction is the beautiful slim brown women so eager to be accomodating to someone who has the money to give them a better life. Not many will admit that but many put up with the third world conditions here for just that reason only.

For me the attraction is the beautiful slim brown women so eager to be accomodating to someone who has the money to give them a better life.

I learned after my first serious relationship here to appear as one of the poorer foreigners to filter out exactly that type of woman who only want a foreigner for a better life. Now, I'm really not poor, my non-state pension/retirement income is greater than many here so can provide very well, yet I choose to keep my financial status private, even from someone I love. Everything will be appreciated more. I knew she was the one for me when she suggested we rent a single room place to save money. That would have been a downgrade for her. In two weeks we're moving to a 3 bed house on 600 sq metres of land for a paltry 8k/month, which I 'somehow' managed to stretch to.

Dishonest? In a sense it is, but I will still provide everything needed and more, so there is no harm done. Preferable to being used by a desperate woman who has dollar, pound and piso signs on her eyeballs. She wants me for me, not for a better life a rich foreigner can provide.

Off topic I know, sorry. Had to reply with my thoughts.

Danishman

Welcome to the Forum.

Just like you, my wife and I make our move to Cebu this year.

Good luck Terrence.

Flemming.

Balintawak

:potkettle:

You can be sure you will meet Lincers! Even if you dont San Mig! :as-if:

Hi Terrance,

As you have researched this forum you will know that the first move is to take a vacation here, be it for 2 weeks or 6 months.

I have visited the Philippines 4 times (meet/engagement/marriage/family wedding) and will still try a longer stay there when I retire in a couple of years, before deciding on a move there.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

Paul

fredanna

I learned after my first serious relationship here to appear as one of the poorer foreigners to filter out exactly that type of woman who only want a foreigner for a better life. Now, I'm really not poor, my non-state pension/retirement income is greater than many here so can provide very well, yet I choose to keep my financial status private, even from someone I love. Everything will be appreciated more. I knew she was the one for me when she suggested we rent a single room place to save money. That would have been a downgrade for her. In two weeks we're moving to a 3 bed house on 600 sq metres of land for a paltry 8k/month, which I 'somehow' managed to stretch to.

Dishonest? In a sense it is, but I will still provide everything needed and more, so there is no harm done. Preferable to being used by a desperate woman who has dollar, pound and piso signs on her eyeballs. She wants me for me, not for a better life a rich foreigner can provide.

Off topic I know, sorry. Had to reply with my thoughts.

Do not regret your statement. This is the beauty of this forum!!! Somehow LINC has 'matured' to be wonderful, fairly accurate, "no SPIN", info center about the Philippines. When I first joined there were these outrageous posts about the 'wonderful life' , live like a king,build your dream house and relax. Months later reading.....I read about some who had to pull the plug and move back for various reasons and many were not just petty reasons.

Now you can read and get a pretty good picture of what to expect when you move. But heed the warnings of some; move there and experiment and observe. There are a lot of things to adjust to in the Phils. It is very different from the USA.

From our 2 month visit there with our 5 yr old son, and what we observed, we decided that the Phils is nice a place to visit every couple of years and stay in a 'vacation house' for 3 mos and enjoy the scenery. The infrastructure is very fragile there. Water not safe to drink, water don't work all the time, the electric goes out for no reason, etc etc.....

The human relation problems (people getting along with each other in the Phils) is almost like the USA. The difference is the people in the Philippines are more respectful to each other and try to make things work. That was one of our discoveries during our visit. People are piled on top of each other from the over-population in the Phils and even in the provinces there are differences between "relatives" When we would hear " Oh I'm too shy to go to so and so and ask their children to come to our house and use the computer to chat on Yahoo" My wife interpreted that to me to mean that the two families do not get along very well and just respectfully exist.

But despite those negatives, I would still want to retire there one day. It changed my life and it took 5 months to return to my USA life. I know my wife would not like to go back to live permanently. We have it too good here in the USA. DAM.............I was ready for the simple easy life of San Miguel and massages (legit) and smoke cigars and no clocks to watch or schedules to keep.....................maybe go shopping.......go to another island (Bohol)...........go to church...........

OK enuf rambling and dreaming..............good luck with yours

Fred

bounder

This was my first full winter in the Cebu. I also became disenchanted with Iowa winters and determined I would no longer endure those conditions again. In the past, I spent my time in Luzon, but found it was way too hot for my liking. So, this past winter I ventured from Manila by bus to Cebu. I settled on the west coast and although it is hot, I didn't find it unbearable. I had an air conditioner for the bedroom and that was enough for me at night. I am also rotund and sweat quite nicely giving my housekeeper the humorous role of handing me a dry t-shirt after I would return from my four kilometer walk into town and back.

There were comments as to the living conditions here and I will agree that the conditions are not perfect. Yes, I drank from a bottled water dispenser in the kitchen, suffer "infrequent" brownouts, and take cold water baths. It is true that even in the provinces, the people are compacted and you experience a lot of poverty, but I find the lifestyle perfect. I love the market and strolling through the stores in town. The trike drivers would get upset with me because I walked so much and equated it to me being a poor "kano", which is not the case. I did not have a motorbike at first, but will buy one in July. Other than that, bus transportation is an adventure and needs to be experienced if you are going to live in the PI.

There are pros and cons to any place you move and live in, but I have found Cebu as a nice place to spend time in . It is not as hot as Luzon and I like the locals; oh, let's not forget living on Philippine time (such a departure from the states). I have spoken to some who were bored after a few months and returned to the states, but I will most likely live the rest of my years here. It takes some getting used to, but wherever there isn't snow, ice, and cold temperatures, I am content.

Bounder...