NAIA worst airport in Asia

KeithAngel

He should have a doctor's letter and copy prescription with him as that drug is prescription-only in the UK and here, but didn't. Whippy is well-known for his less than generous attitude and portrayal of the Philippines and its officials and It's entirely possible he over-egged the official's part. But we'll never know as Whippy has been banned.

Mark

Good grief ..banned .......I wonder what his new manifestation will be?

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Smitty

• udonthani

• Markham

• miles-high

Markham

Not wishing to digress (too much) but do you know if it is essential to have both, or will just a copy of the prescription suffice?

(Plus the packing would / should have the patients name and address on it.)

What do the rules say?

That's the advice of both the Foreign Office and the US State Department and, as I told Whippy, similar advice is also available at GP surgeries in the UK. They are not "rules" per-se but ignoring them can land you with problems if ignored. The letter is necessary as it should provide details of the medical condition as well as listing the drugs and their dosages that are prescribed.

Mark

Edited by Markham

I have to ask, since there was some talk about scams and thievery by airport officials at NAIA, when exactly did these things happen? Were they recent? I've traveled through NAIA 6 times in the last 2 years and have never been shaken down once. Immigration has never asked me more than 1 or 2 questions, and customs has always just waved me through without much more than a nod. I've heard they clamped down on such behaviour, so is this recent?

I've been in and out so many times since 1997 and have never had a single issue with authorities, whether Manila or Cebu.

TheDuke

I have to ask, since there was some talk about scams and thievery by airport officials at NAIA, when exactly did these things happen? Were they recent? I've traveled through NAIA 6 times in the last 2 years and have never been shaken down once. Immigration has never asked me more than 1 or 2 questions, and customs has always just waved me through without much more than a nod. I've heard they clamped down on such behaviour, so is this recent?

I don't know for sure if the customs agent was trying to shake us down but the fact that he gave up as soon as I asked to speak to his supervisor sure supports the conclusion that he was.

I remember Udonthani's post about his incident at T3 and although I agree that he should have had some proof of a prescription, the fact that the customs agent threatened him with missing his flight and accepted money from him instead of confiscating the medicine is proof to me that he was crooked. If that scenario had occurred in the United States there would have been procedures in place for handling it. Of course, in the Philippines anything goes when it's 3 o'clock in the morning, no one is looking and it's a foreigner.

JamesMusslewhite

What both you and Mark appear to be doing is without providing any factual information on the product vis the Fils is saying the Guard was doing his job by shaking some one down for not having a prescription.

The reality in my view is that if the substance was indeed illegal in Philipine law without a prescription then his job would have been to follow the correct protocol regardless of missing flights etc, Personal financial benefit is criminal corruption and Im suprised you both seem to be supporting that unless your saying Wippy,s not telling the truth

No not at all. If the drugs were illegal than he caught a serious break, and then Wippy is simply bitching because he missed his chance at a full cavity search and possible incarceration. If the Guard was not corrupt, than his story could be sounding more like that of an UFO abductee.

Now if the drugs are not illegal and they were in their original packaging and he had a letter from his physician when this Guard stopped him. Than Wippy has all the right to bitch about unfair treatment.

See when I moved here in 2008, I carried several different medications issued through the VA, they cleared Hong Kong and Cebu airport security and customs. Two were strong Antibiotics, a couple are pain killers classified as narcotics. I kept them in the VA bag I picked them up in, with all the VA documentation on ailments and all pertinent information of each medication I carried. I had no problem. I have done that twice from Cebu to Manila Airports and returns and hand carried my meds through airport security with no problem.

If a Guard tried to milk me down, than I would simply show him the documentation and my ID, and explained that I was legal. Simple

Now if I missed my flight because he is simply trying to extort me. I miss my flight, his supervisor will have to clear me. Then I would call ABS-CBN among others and tell them his full name and what a stupid thing he did. Try to make him famous.

I think Wippy's problem is he lacked the doctors documentation, or they were not in the original packaging or bottles with his proper Name, product, amount, and dosage. This may have lead him to be a prime candidate to try a petty extortion attempt.

Edited by JamesMusslewhite
Athena

Seriously, who gives 3 shits how nice an airport is to sleep in?

Hmmmmmm

• Admin (Retired)
broden

Thanks El, but for me, the airport is a place to get out of quickly, and the NAIA has always been pretty reasonable as far as being fast.

that's how i look at it

some people like to say it's about the journey.

i like to think those people have much more unlimited free time than i do

i'm about the destination

that's how i look at it

some people like to say it's about the journey.

i like to think those people have much more unlimited free time than i do

i'm about the destination

Couldn't agree more. Airports for me are place to be be tolerated. I always leave myself plenty of time to check in and complete the formalities as rushing around before any kind of trip just puts me in the wrong frame of mind. Some airports are certainly more people friendly than others. My most frequent trips now are between Hong Kong and Mactan Cebu and both, though totally different in scale, are pretty easy to deal with. Times have changed and air travel has moved on especially in this part of the world. Airline service quality has plummeted in response to rising costs and competition from budget carriers. Air travel has been opened up to many ordinary people across Asia who are now enjoying what Europeans and Americans have enjoyed since the 1960s and 70s. It was certainly nice back in the 80s when many flights from Hong Kong to Asian destinations had vacant seats (except during major holidays), when free upgrades could be there for the asking, airline food could actually be eaten, onboard service was attentive, immigration queues were generally shorter, security checks were far less intrusive and terminals, if not new, could at least cope. But those days are gone.

On the NAIA issue, though it's a few years since I passed through there, I guess I have used it around 30-40 times since the early 80s. I can't say I've ever been hassled there. I've never had check-in bags which might have helped and made things quicker and easier. It doesn't rank highly on airport terminal experiences and falls way behind other regional airports - the terminal in Saigon for example seems to work pretty well.

quit_yume

the thing i remember the most about terminal 1 is that during my first trip upon leaving there was some kind of heightened terrorist threats and yet the soldiers were happy to accept a bribe of only 10 pesos to not make my taxi driver get in the line of the vehicles being searched.

i thought to myself... national security being sold out for what amounts to a quarter dollar. not a very good impression of the military or the country. as for the airport itself, its obviously run-down. but i was never treated badly by anybody inside the airport

Seriously, who gives 3 shits how nice an airport is to sleep in?

Me. After a 13 hour flight with a 6 hour layover before the next flight a nap is the first thing on my mind. :offtopic:

Never had the pleasure of a layover in NAIA, and will pay extra to avoid having one there.

Seoul Inchon is a top notch and first class airport. You can sleep or rest at your gate or find an empty gate to stretch out in and nobody will bother you, the wife likes it cause she can go shopping... even before we get to where we are going to!

sandwindstars

The prob with NAIA T1 is that the chairs have armrests! No bench type seats you can stretch on. I don't remember if T2 and T3 have bench types but at least you can sleep on the floor, very shiny and clean.

I talked to a US military guy on a late flight coming into Manila at T1 2 years ago. He was booked at 400 am with Cebu Pacific to go to Cebu. I told him it is at T3, but he can sleep there. It is new and the floors are shiny. He said he can sleep anywhere, just came back from 2 tours in Iraq.

I've just come back from So America and have done a few airports there, and NAIA doesn't look shabby compared to them. I worry more how I can get from the airport to my hotel, or my destination or vice versa. OR if I have to brown bag it on the plane.