• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Smitty

• udonthani

• Markham

• miles-high

Markham

so shaking down a passenger by threatening to make them miss their flight unless they hand over sixty dollars because I had 24 Zoplicone prescribed by my GP but no prescription is a law enforcement official doing his job is it? You live in a fantasy world mate.

I even said, hey confiscate them then, but he said no. Either you pay up right now, or we go into the office, fill out forms, and you miss your flight.

this is in the security area of T3. A total disgrace to the nation. Why do you stick up for this kind of villainy, when it serves the interests of the Philippines so badly?

So you blame your lack of foresight and planning on an official who was doing his job. You are not new to international travel and you are certainly not a new member of this site. Even if you don't bother to read the Foreign Office's "Advice to Travellers", similar advice for people to carry a copy of their doctor's prescription for any controlled or prescription-only drugs they need to take has been given many times over the last few years here. That same information I seem to recall is also available of the (UK) Department of Health's web site and I have personally seen notices to this effect posted on notice boards in surgery waiting rooms. If you ask your doctor nicely, he will give you a duplicate of your prescription marked "NFF" (not for filling); you won't be able to use it at a chemist in the UK but it will serve as proof when travelling.

To blame your inefficiencies on others and to label them as "villains" is completely unwarranted.

Mark

JamesMusslewhite

it's true Zoplicone is a controlled substance in the USA, Canada and a few other countries, but very much doubt it is in the Philippines. Besides, if it was some sort of on-the-spot fine, rather than the shakedown it most certainly was, how come I was allowed to keep it? Do UK customs or police allow people caught with small amounts of cannabis to keep it after they've fined them?

the guy just saw, by looking into an x-ray machine, a chance to pick up some cash he needed for the upcoming All Souls holidays. Thieving bastard.

A traveler going abroad with a preexisting medical problem should carry a letter from the attending physician, describing the medical condition and any prescription medications, including the generic names of prescribed drugs. Any medications being carried overseas should be left in their original containers and be clearly labeled. Travelers should check with the foreign embassy of the country they are visiting to make sure any required medications are not considered to be illegal narcotics. (A listing of foreign embassies and consulates in the U.S. is available on the Department of State's website. Foreign embassy and consulate contact information can also be found on the Country Specific Information for each country.)

Zopiclone is a controlled substance in the US, Canada, Japan, Brazil, UK, and some European countries, and may be illegal to possess without a prescription. Zopiclone (brand name Imovane in Canada, and Zimovane in the UK).

Do not do that, and you are not so much the victim in the eyes of the authorities as a possible criminal. Be glad it only cost you a small amount of cash and you were allowed on your way. Sounds to me he cut you some serious slack. If he had been actually doing his job correctly, then he should have held you back, made you miss your flight, submitted you to a full luggage and full cavity search, and then possible incarceration. Then how much would your obvious misinformed mistake had cost you? But you are right you were such a victim. How dare he cut your inconsiderate self a break. That bad bad security guard, what a thieving bastard.

Edited by JamesMusslewhite
Ken Oath

International departure is fine if you just concentrate on the pretty girls seen around the airport and the alcohol supply waiting for you at the lounge..........Keep these great thoughts in your head while you line up to enter the terminal, line up to check in, line up for immigration, and xray......... after that it's a piece of cake!

We always avoid flying into Manila, if at all possible, and go straight to Mactan in Cebu. It is a lot less hassle flying to Cebu, and we just like Mactan a lot better as an arrival location. Just my two cents worth............... :drink:

We always avoid flying into Manila, if at all possible, and go straight to Mactan in Cebu. It is a lot less hassle flying to Cebu, and we just like Mactan a lot better as an arrival location. Just my two cents worth............... :drink:

I'll definetly pay more to fly direct to Cebu and avoid NAIA and Manila in general. My 3 previous trips I flew in and out of Manila, I hope never again. Next week its direct to Cebu. Woohoo!

tom_shor

Wow, if you guys "hate" NAIA, I suppose you have a choice of not using the airport... Take a slow boat to China, Singapore, Yap, Tahiti, Jacksonville or wherever

tom_shor

My wife and I went through NAIA 1 when we visited in November 2010 because we could save over a $1000.00 by transferring over to T3 and then catching a flight to Cebu City instead of flying straight into Cebu City. Plus we could avoid the 10+ hour layover in Korea. I was dreading the airport since it was a nightmare even when I visited in the late 80's and early 90's. By the time we finished filling out the required paperwork to enter the country everyone had gone through customs and we were the ONLY passengers in the entire arrival area. I started getting worried since that meant our luggage was the only luggage left. A young man yelled out my name which freaked me out but then I noticed he had looked at the name tags on our luggage since it was the only one left. The customs lady told my wife that they didn't give foreigners hard time as long as they were married to filipinas. We then picked up our luggage and another customs lady who was eating lunch had to borrow my pen to sign off on the declaration forms since she didn't have a pen. By that time I was so happy to get out of there without be hassled that I gave her the pen. The trip over to T3 was easy using the transfer bus.

The return was a little scarier. It was complete pandemonium when we arrived with everyone pushing and shoving to get in the door. Going through security my wife got shook down by a customs when a man tried to take her bottle of Chanel perfume under the pretense that it was a violation of TSA guidelines to bring that much liquid on board the plane. My wife called me over and I explained to him that TSA had relaxed their guidelines and that 3.4 ounce (100ml) bottle or less (by volume) was allowed. He argued with me for a few minutes before I asked to speak to his supervisor. He then gave the bottle back to my wife, uttered something under his breath and walked off. Afterwards we loitered around in the duty free area but we could not buy anything since we had used up all of our filipino money and they don't take credit cards because the machines were broke in every shop. Of course they don't have an ATM machines because that would make too much sense. By that time my wife and I were so sick of the Philippines experience that we just sit there for a couple of hours until we got on the plane back to Korea. We were both SO happy to get out of there.

You know for long layovers there is a hotel inside the terminal at Inchon. I never fly through Manila anymore unless it is completly unavoidable.

Cipro

I don't mind it, I don't sleep in airports and NAIA is never a stop-over for me, it is either my departure or arrival point. Detroit .... now THAT is a shithole. The only thing worse than that was Bangalore, India. I always remember the line from Star Wars: "My, what a wonderful new smell you've discovered!" from Han Solo WRT to the garbage chute in the Death Star.

newtocebu

I actually think that Terminal 1 has character. Even though I have been flying PAL exclusively for the last few years, I find Terminal 2 ( PAL Terminal ) boring, lacking character and charm.

Alan S

What many countries forget is that the major international airports are the first impression one gets of the country.

They SHOULD be the showcase to give the best possible impression of the place passengers are arriving at.

Naia may be the worst in that respect, but Heathrow and many others are nowhere near as good as they should be.

If you pass through swiftly and effortlessly, most people wont mind an airport that is a bit basic and perhaps lacks some amenities (as long as it has the basic ones),but if the entire "airport experience" is negative, it doesnt bode well for the rest of the place.

This survey is based on how suitable the airport is for sleeping in. I don't think I'm very unusual in not actually sleeping in airports. In my experience, if there's a long wait between connecting flights, the airline provide accommodation. Perhaps that's just if the connection is on the same airline.

My point is, how many travellers actually spend so long in an airport that they not only want a quick nap but actually have to sleep for a lengthy period? And why then do they feel the need to complain that a building whose purpose is to usher as many people as possible through it in as short a time as possible, wasn't designed for their very specific and uncommon needs?

KeithAngel

A traveler going abroad with a preexisting medical problem should carry a letter from the attending physician, describing the medical condition and any prescription medications, including the generic names of prescribed drugs. Any medications being carried overseas should be left in their original containers and be clearly labeled. Travelers should check with the foreign embassy of the country they are visiting to make sure any required medications are not considered to be illegal narcotics. (A listing of foreign embassies and consulates in the U.S. is available on the Department of State's website. Foreign embassy and consulate contact information can also be found on the Country Specific Information for each country.)

Zopiclone is a controlled substance in the US, Canada, Japan, Brazil, UK, and some European countries, and may be illegal to possess without a prescription. Zopiclone (brand name Imovane in Canada, and Zimovane in the UK).

Do not do that, and you are not so much the victim in the eyes of the authorities as a possible criminal. Be glad it only cost you a small amount of cash and you were allowed on your way. Sounds to me he cut you some serious slack. If he had been actually doing his job correctly, then he should have held you back, made you miss your flight, submitted you to a full luggage and full cavity search, and then possible incarceration. Then how much would your obvious misinformed mistake had cost you? But you are right you were such a victim. How dare he cut your inconsiderate self a break. That bad bad security guard, what a thieving bastard.

What both you and Mark appear to be doing is without providing any factual information on the product vis the Fils is saying the Guard was doing his job by shaking some one down for not having a prescription.

The reality in my view is that if the substance was indeed illegal in Philipine law without a prescription then his job would have been to follow the correct protocol regardless of missing flights etc, Personal financial benefit is criminal corruption and Im suprised you both seem to be supporting that unless your saying Wippy,s not telling the truth

Cipro

Seriously, who gives 3 shits how nice an airport is to sleep in?