NAIA worst airport in Asia

Headshot

I never had to do that. What airline were you on?

I believe Terminal 3 is almost exclusively Cebu Pacific. I have had to do that several times there. Or they will have a flight leaving from one gate...and then the buses line up outside the door to take you to the plane...which is parked at a gate at the other end of the terminal (that's happened a few times too. Either way, you get a lot of stair-climbing exercise.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Smitty

• udonthani

• Markham

• miles-high

miles-high

Wow, if you guys "hate" NAIA, I suppose you have a choice of not using the airport... Take a slow boat to China, Singapore, Yap, Tahiti, Jacksonville or wherever

USMC-Retired

It is what it is. Horrible. You can put lipstick on a pig and you still have a pig..

Baywak

I think it's a quaint airport.I have been to many many airports and find each one different and appealing in its own way.I have no problems with it at all.But then I am not a lazy find fault in everything american yuppie type that needs to have someone wipe my arse either.

:rofl:

Wow, if you guys "hate" NAIA, I suppose you have a choice of not using the airport... Take a slow boat to China, Singapore, Yap, Tahiti, Jacksonville or wherever

Alan S

When a widely read publication gives that sort of press, it isnt going to encourage tourism, and getting more visitors is one of the declared aims of the present government.

It is OK saying that some other places are worse. People dont go seeking the worst airports, for most they are something you have to tolerate when you travel, and they want the best experience not the worst.

It is also OK saying, go somewhere else. But, the Philippine government WANTS people to go to the Philippines and for the vast majority, that means flying, and mostly via NAIA.

So, the option for the traveller is to either tolerate it or go elsewhere, and many will pick the latter.

For the government, there is a choice of improving things or not getting the tourists they want.

softail

When a widely read publication gives that sort of press, it isnt going to encourage tourism, and getting more visitors is one of the declared aims of the present government.

It is OK saying that some other places are worse. People dont go seeking the worst airports, for most they are something you have to tolerate when you travel, and they want the best experience not the worst.

It is also OK saying, go somewhere else. But, the Philippine government WANTS people to go to the Philippines and for the vast majority, that means flying, and mostly via NAIA.

So, the option for the traveller is to either tolerate it or go elsewhere, and many will pick the latter.

For the government, there is a choice of improving things or not getting the tourists they want.

Personally I don

TheDuke

My wife and I went through NAIA 1 when we visited in November 2010 because we could save over a $1000.00 by transferring over to T3 and then catching a flight to Cebu City instead of flying straight into Cebu City. Plus we could avoid the 10+ hour layover in Korea. I was dreading the airport since it was a nightmare even when I visited in the late 80's and early 90's. By the time we finished filling out the required paperwork to enter the country everyone had gone through customs and we were the ONLY passengers in the entire arrival area. I started getting worried since that meant our luggage was the only luggage left. A young man yelled out my name which freaked me out but then I noticed he had looked at the name tags on our luggage since it was the only one left. The customs lady told my wife that they didn't give foreigners hard time as long as they were married to filipinas. We then picked up our luggage and another customs lady who was eating lunch had to borrow my pen to sign off on the declaration forms since she didn't have a pen. By that time I was so happy to get out of there without be hassled that I gave her the pen. The trip over to T3 was easy using the transfer bus.

The return was a little scarier. It was complete pandemonium when we arrived with everyone pushing and shoving to get in the door. Going through security my wife got shook down by a customs when a man tried to take her bottle of Chanel perfume under the pretense that it was a violation of TSA guidelines to bring that much liquid on board the plane. My wife called me over and I explained to him that TSA had relaxed their guidelines and that 3.4 ounce (100ml) bottle or less (by volume) was allowed. He argued with me for a few minutes before I asked to speak to his supervisor. He then gave the bottle back to my wife, uttered something under his breath and walked off. Afterwards we loitered around in the duty free area but we could not buy anything since we had used up all of our filipino money and they don't take credit cards because the machines were broke in every shop. Of course they don't have an ATM machines because that would make too much sense. By that time my wife and I were so sick of the Philippines experience that we just sit there for a couple of hours until we got on the plane back to Korea. We were both SO happy to get out of there.

Edited by TheDuke
CardiacKid

Another option for the Philippines is to play the victim role and scream that they are being unfairly criticized. This then allows them to refuse to make needed improvements and act offended that anyone would dare to criticize their airport.

udonthani

I got shook down for sixty dollars by what was probably the head cop on duty at 3am at T3. While the retard was making the kill on the foreigner at the security clearance, some Muslim in a suit could have had a bomb and passed by. They just don't care about the passengers in the Philippines. The passengers are zilch, nothing. They just don't care about them. And the further up you go, the less they care about them.

• Admin (Retired)
broden

only airport i've ever tried to avoid going through was the Dallas airport, always seems like i have to go from one far end of it to the other. but other than that airports never have bothered me, sure it's always nicer to be stuck in a true top of the line international airport but i've been stuck in tiny ones over night before with no place comfortable to sit and pretty much nothing to do but stare at a wall till the next days flights start

i just don't really factor airports themselves in to my travel plans

Markham

I got shook down for sixty dollars by what was probably the head cop on duty at 3am at T3. While the retard was making the kill on the foreigner at the security clearance, some Muslim in a suit could have had a bomb and passed by. They just don't care about the passengers in the Philippines. The passengers are zilch, nothing. They just don't care about them. And the further up you go, the less they care about them.

Why is it that you feel the need to be so disparaging about an official who was doing his job?

Mark

udonthani

Why is it that you feel the need to be so disparaging about an official who was doing his job?

Mark

so shaking down a passenger by threatening to make them miss their flight unless they hand over sixty dollars because I had 24 Zoplicone prescribed by my GP but no prescription is a law enforcement official doing his job is it? You live in a fantasy world mate.

I even said, hey confiscate them then, but he said no. Either you pay up right now, or we go into the office, fill out forms, and you miss your flight.

this is in the security area of T3. A total disgrace to the nation. Why do you stick up for this kind of villainy, when it serves the interests of the Philippines so badly?

KeithAngel

As you will know Mark a UK prescription is kept by the chemist and the box will have your name and dosage frequency on the Chemists own label affixed

Edited by KeithAngel
udonthani

it's true Zoplicone is a controlled substance in the USA, Canada and a few other countries, but very much doubt it is in the Philippines. Besides, if it was some sort of on-the-spot fine, rather than the shakedown it most certainly was, how come I was allowed to keep it? Do UK customs or police allow people caught with small amounts of cannabis to keep it after they've fined them?

the guy just saw, by looking into an x-ray machine, a chance to pick up some cash he needed for the upcoming All Souls holidays. Thieving bastard.