• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Smitty

• udonthani

• Markham

• miles-high

SkyMan

I don't understand terminal 3 at all. The plane pulls up to the concourse. The gangway is attached. You depart but part way down the gangway you are diverted to a side door to stairs that are there only for emergency use. You climb down to the tarmac to await a bus to drive you 50ft to a door to stairs that take you up to where you would have been had they let you walk right off the gangway. What a cludge. The bus driver union must be incledible strong in Manila.

I find no disagreement with any of the comments against NAIA.

Here's some more comments from the site:

"The current government administration should hire a bulldozer and a ramming team and start tearing it apart." - ajloren123

"It is run by thieves manned by thieves and extortionists neatly dressed in uniforms." - tailspin

"the worst airport on the planet. It has to be experienced to be believed. Think of a bombed out ruin and you'll get some idea." (Brenty)

"I've been to almost all the airports in the worlds but i just cant compare Manila Airport to those rising 3rd world countries. Seem that NAIA is left out in the DARK age." (TPMAN 199)

"If you find a seat be prepared to defend it at all costs!" (Big Tone)

"Philippines Airport = not very nice (except for the new terminals of PAL). Overnight in a Manila Airport = NO NO NO" (Seb)

"airport employees are the worst money hustlers around." (Steven)

"Everywhere everyone asks for bribes. Never offer them anything. Act as if you do not know what they are saying and just walk past them. " (Native Filipino)

Edited by SkyMan

I hate terminal 1,

terminal 3 is a huge improvement however I suspect they will have problems with adequate numbers of seats for passengers waiting for flights in the future..

Panserhansen

I agree, Terminal 1 is a nightmare of an airport and it has been for at least 15 years. Taking time, LOL.

Last time: Had to do change a flight last minute, and didn't have time to print it out so the security wouldn't allow me inside. Only airport in the world who practise this. I was there three hours before the flight. Had to go to the airport office to print a new ticket. Took me a while. Then I spent 30 minutes waiting to get inside. Then 1 hour 45 minute checking in. No system to find out where the line ends, went like a snake inside the terminal. After that, waiting line to pay the departure fee. The Philippines is the only country I know with such a stupid system, why can't they imply this when people purchase tickets, or charge the airlines(so they can charge us) instead of making this STUPID hassle for passengers? Then 30 minutes at immigration.

I ran to the gate. On my way two STUPID checkpoints on the way to see our boarding passes. Never seen that anywhere else in the world. At the gate 20 minutes after take off, sweaty and stressed. Luckily Cathhay held the flight.

Security is a joke, I forgot I had a litre of liquor in my handcarry and they didn't discover it. Lord knows I would need it.

It's truly a horrible airport and I avoid it now at all cost, flying directly to Cebu instead. I would rather be chased by wolves than using T1 again.

Terminal 3 however, is heaven compared to T1, however a little boring.

smokey

wow well now there is another REASON to not pay for the airport .... see if you wait long enough good things will come your way... now if only we can find another investor to build another airport... hummmmmm m anyone????????

Headshot

I don't understand terminal 3 at all. The plane pulls up to the concourse. The gangway is attached. You depart but part way down the gangway you are diverted to a side door to stairs that are there only for emergency use. You climb down to the tarmac to await a bus to drive you 50ft to a door to stairs that take you up to where you would have been had they let you walk right off the gangway. What a cludge. The bus driver union must be incledible strong in Manila.

Somewhere along the way, the Philippines got the mistaken idea that every process should inconvenience people in some way. For instance, they charge a terminal fee here. That isn't really uncommon around the world, but in most places, it is just added to the price of the ticket and you never even think about it. It certainly doesn't require an extra step. Here, you get into a long queue to walk up to a window, where you hand the lady your ticket and your money. She staples a receipt to your ticket and you get in another long queue, where you hand over your ticket and they tear part of the receipt off. What't that all about? It often seems like everything they do here is to somehow make things MORE complicated, rather than making things easier for traveler. Maybe it's all about putting more people to work...who knows? But...that's just life in the Philippines. The stuff that goes on at the airport is no different than the stuff that goes on everywhere here. You just learn to expect it and not let it bother you too much.

Frequent international travelers are NOT that forgiving however, so I understand how they would react to the petty little time-wasting processes the Philippine airports put you through. Add that to security and customs people trying to get money from passengers, dirty restrooms, uncomfortable seating and a general lack of decent eateries inside the secure areas, and the Manila Airport deserves its rating as one of the worst aiports in the world.

On the other hand, I don't believe that Hong Kong is one of the best airports in the world. When you transfer between flights there, you have to walk all the way to the front of the airport, go outside of the secure area, and then stand in line to go through security again. That is total bullshit and a huge time-waster. Why can't they just let you make your transfer to another gate while still inside the secure area? Basically every flight to and from Hong Kong is an international flight, so that shouldn't make any difference.

udonthani

Terminal 3 would just about pass the standard of a provincial airport in neighbouring Malaysia, like the new Kuching terminal, but it's still nowhere near good enough for a capital city that is the economic powerhouse for a nation state of 100 million people. Nowhere near it. It stands out in the Philippines, because it's the only piece of half-decent infrastructure people are likely to see.

somebody said the new Iliolo airport is not bad.

miles-high

I suppose it's all depends on what you looking for

Edited by miles-high
smokey

Terminal 3 would just about pass the standard of a provincial airport in neighbouring Malaysia, like the new Kuching terminal, but it's still nowhere near good enough for a capital city that is the economic powerhouse for a nation state of 100 million people. Nowhere near it. It stands out in the Philippines, because it's the only piece of half-decent infrastructure people are likely to see.

somebody said the new Iliolo airport is not bad.

i think it stands out because it still not paid for...

Markham

On the other hand, I don't believe that Hong Kong is one of the best airports in the world. When you transfer between flights there, you have to walk all the way to the front of the airport, go outside of the secure area, and then stand in line to go through security again. That is total bullshit and a huge time-waster. Why can't they just let you make your transfer to another gate while still inside the secure area? Basically every flight to and from Hong Kong is an international flight, so that shouldn't make any difference.

I believe that is the case at Terminal 2 which handles all flights to China and international flights other than those serviced by Cathay Pacific (which has its own dedicated terminal).

I agree with the assessment of NAIA and especially its international terminal. The place is a total disgrace and gives a very poor - yet entirely realistic - impression of the country as a whole. Right from the moment you get off the plane, you experience Philippine "efficiency" at its worst: The last time I went through the terminal, on my way to Amsterdam, it took over one hour just to enter the terminal as only one of its four x-ray machines was working. Once inside, there's a total lack of baggage carts and the check-in area is reminiscent of those you'd see in Hollywood films circa 1947 but by now dingy and depressing. Flight information monitors frequently out of order,

But I don't know how the airport authorities will convince the airlines to move to Terminal 3, especially those operating the larger capacity 777 and 747, never mind A380, aircraft which really need a double jetway system for efficient boarding and deplaning. And this business about having to walk down exterior steps from the jetway to the ramp on arrival really demonstrates how poorly planned that terminal really is. Maybe if the Philippines agrees to drop its "Common Carrier Tax" which it imposes on non Philippine carriers for every passenger brought in and taken out of the country will be an incentive.

Mark

Terminals 1 and 2 in Hong Kong service check-ins, depending on your airline. The two terminals are not linked to completely separate series of gates. Terminal 1 - the original large terminal - is also where arrivals is located. Cathay does not have its own terminal but you will normally check in for CX flights in Terminal 1. I've never experienced the security check on arrival as I never been in transit through Hong Kong. I'm not sure if it applies to all flights but given the variable quality of security checks around Asia it may be a good idea.

If you have done an online check-in with CX and have only hand-carry it's not a bad idea to go through Terminal 2 for security and immigration especially for the morning flight to Cebu as T2 is usually very quiet around 7.00-7.30a.m.

tom_shor

I never had to do that. What airline were you on?

georgecombey

Hi there,

I can't blame if the NAIA airport is ranked at the 5th place in the world and 1st in Asia worst airports. I've been to that airport long before. The toilet then are still ok. I think that airport is more than 2 decades or more. What is the real problem are thief taxis and airport employees.

USMC-Retired

Wow and we discuss this. IT IS HORRIBLE. I have been in many, many, many airports. This is the worse. Hands down.