Crockpot Recipes

FirstTimeInCebu

FirstTimeInCebu

Does anyone have any person crockpot recipes specifically for Filipino dishes?

Adobo in a slow cooker would probably work out pretty good. All you would need is some Chicken, vinegar, soy sauce, garlic and onion. As a matter of fact, I'm tempted to try it out myself.

billten

Caldereta is very simple in a crock pot and really yummy.

FirstTimeInCebu

Thanks for the feedback. Hopefully others will chime in with other possible dishes.

Headshot

If you have a cookbook with Filipino recipes, then it's pretty easy to figure out which ones will work in a crock pot. If it says simmer slowly, then it's a good bet a crock pot will do a great job. My MIL made some chicken adobo yesterday that was falling off the bone. She did it in a regular pot on the stove, but when I saw how she cooked it, I immediately thought of the crock pot possibilities. Filipinas are NOT used to cooking with a crock pot, and have a hard time seeing the advantage of preparing a meal hours in advance (even though they have no problem letting the food sit out for hours after a meal in case anyone gets hungry). It's not Filipino cooking, but I do a great (in my opinion) pulled pork in my crock pot, and we have pulled pork sandwiches, but I don't think she is impressed. She usually takes part of the leftover pulled pork to feed the dogs, so I'm thinking she wasn't exactly overwhelmed by the taste.

:(

• Admin (Retired)
broden

if my wife ever has time i'm sure she can post several things here .. we use our slowcooker all the time

ribs are one thing i can say are great in it .. we slowcook slabs of pork ribs but i need to ask my wife in what mixture exactly (liquid wise)

then we sauce them and finish them under the broiler

• 1 month later...
CebuanaKo

Try Callos (Ox tripe with sausage and chickpeas). If you don't want to dare cooking tripe, try out Montebello Villa Hotel's Callos first. Im pretty sure you would like it.

I love Crock Pot cooking. One of my self made meals is the following:

Lately I have been cooking Northern White Beans in a crock pot.

Most of the time I will throw in a Ham bone for flavor, but since I have been on a diet I have worked around this by adding non-meat items

First I fast boil the white beans (I cook about 2 - 3 pounds at a time ) in a pan. I boil the beans for 2 - 5 minutes. Let soak for 1 1/2 hours. in the hot water.

I use a 6 qt Crock Pot

I drop 6 beef cubes in a bowl and mircrowave in water for about 3 minutes to dissolve them.

I add a teaspoon of black pepper and a 1/2 teaspone of Cayenne pepper

I add 2 tablespoons of Lemon Juice

I add a good shake or two of Worcestershire Sauce and Tabasco Hot sauce

Stir all and pour in the Crock Pot

Add 1 can of Chicken Broth

Add the beans and cover with water (make sure all of the beans are cover with liquid)

Stir and mix

Cook from 6 - 11 hours depending on the quality of the White Bean U use.

Keep in the icebox when finish and it will do two things

1 the liquid will thicken into a gravy

2 any fat will rise to the top and U can skim it off pretty easy

The beans are cheap, easy to fix, high in Fiber and low in Calories

I have made it a basic around my diet. When I get hungry I just eat about a cup full and add in Veg's at a meal or two. It is helping to keep me away from bread and sugar items....

Hope ya'll like

Edited by tim