Cebuano teacher wanted

Headshot

Yes...it's really too bad there isn't a Rosetta Stone program for the Bisayan language (of which Cebuano is a dialect), but there isn't. We just have to muddle through however we can. Terry (Skyman) actually has a pretty good grasp of the language. We took classes together last year from Angie, and he was far more advanced than me, so when he speaks on the subject, I pay attention. The problem with actually becoming "fluent" in a language is that most people have to just about get to the point where they are thinking and dreaming in the language before they stop translating in their heads. That requires some pretty deep immersion.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Paul

• redboy

• SkyMan

• Hamm

Top Posters In This Topic

DC3.....

BRILLIANT piece of kit. IMO

Flies like a truck with 4X4 and leaves a HUGE grin on the face of Driver and PAX.

thebob

Tom Markam's treatise on Cebuano compiled in 2005 is a remarkable attempt to codify the dialect, but if you use it for everyday communication, perhaps you will be surprised that people won't understand you so well. Still it is worth downloading free to see various conventions and vocabulary.

Do you have a link for this? I have also heard that the Morman course is very good.

SkyMan

Then you start learning the words and use with English sentences. (cebuanish) when confident with that, you can start replacing the English with Cebuano ones, then learn the complex grammar and put it in the right order.

I disagree with this ordering. I think the grammar can actually come first (along with some vocab) and one of the best ways to learn grammar is to listen to how the poorer English speakers speak. They will do just as you (Guenther) have suggested, change their native words to English and not worry about the grammar. When you hear the odd grammar remember it and just change the English words to Cebuano and theirs a good chance you have the grammar right. For instance, in English it's correct to say 'grandfather's house' but in Cebuano it's 'house of grandfather' or 'balay sa lolo' which is still better than the deep Cebuano of 'balay sa apohan nga lalaki' which translates to house of the grandparent who is a male.' I would notice my wife say "I need to put a water on that." Now I know that in Cebuano it's correct to say 'og tubig' or 'a water.'

Also I disagree with the idea of 'suddenly' being able to converse. The ability to converse comes with practice and confidence. I hope everyone on this board knows the most important words of palihug and salamat. As you can add more words use them. When you can use complete sentences, use them.

dc3driver

DC3.....

BRILLIANT piece of kit. IMO

Flies like a truck with 4X4 and leaves a HUGE grin on the face of Driver and PAX.

LOL, thanks.

SkyMan

Yes...it's really too bad there isn't a Rosetta Stone program for the Bisayan language (of which Cebuano is a dialect), but there isn't. We just have to muddle through however we can. Terry (Skyman) actually has a pretty good grasp of the language. We took classes together last year from Angie, and he was far more advanced than me, so when he speaks on the subject, I pay attention. The problem with actually becoming "fluent" in a language is that most people have to just about get to the point where they are thinking and dreaming in the language before they stop translating in their heads. That requires some pretty deep immersion.

Thanks Bill. I don't know if anyone ever gets to where they fully think in a second language but as you get more and more fluent in a language the faster those synapses fire that translate (English thought) to (Cebuano words). Part of it is training. I origanlly didn't understand that 'Oo' pronounced 'oo' or 'oo oo' (one syllable or two) as in boot meant yes. So if I asked a question and the respondent said 'Oo' I thought they didn't hear me so I asked again and then they usually said 'yes.' I know recognize 'Oo' as yes and even have trained myself (with some work) to respond in kind. Don't be at all surprised if you ask me something in person and I reply oo.

I would have to say I still only know a small portion of the language. Perhaps 20% of the structure and maybe 10% of the vocabulary. There is much more to cover.

Edited by SkyMan
  • 2 weeks later...
Reynaldo

I have been here for about 4 years now and had built up a vocabulary of well over 1,000 words and a string of useful phrases, but going to lessons with Sem was like learning to ride a bike, when for 4 days you keep falling off and then suddenly one day you can ride it.

I recommend him to anyone interested in learning - he makes each lesson entertaining and you learn so much about the local culture at the same time. The language is both amazingly simple and so very frustratingly difficult. The point that MOG makes about learning from your wife is valid though; my wife is learning about her language from my lessons as well as me.

Hello Paul, I'm very interested in expanding my speaking and comprehension of the Cebuano language. The contact information for Sem would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Do you have a link for this? I have also heard that the Morman course is very good.

I am surprised most have not run across it, it is comprehensive 250 pages of analysis and grammar structures with phrases common conventions, diphthongs, tenses,etc. Sorry I got his name wrong, it's Marking not Markham.

The second link lists a plethora of Cebuano(Bisaya) study materials online or for purchase online, compiled by Marking.

http://www.tomandcathymarking.com/cebuano/CebuanoStudyNotes.pdf

http://www.tomandcathymarking.com/cebuano.htm

In Cebu the dialect is called Cebuano to describe the entire dialect(slightly ethnocentric)I lived in Negros for years they say they speak Visayan or Bisaya, if you tell them they speak Cebuano they will quickly disagree, even though it is largly the same. There are many small differences dropped L's slang etc.

In Negros especially in the mountains, it is a much more musical dialect with more trilling of r's

• 3 weeks later...

Since I teach English online and have several qualified Cebuanos teaching English with me, I thought I would offer them the opportunity to teach their native language as well. contact me if you live in another country and are interested in learning Cebuano.

or visit:

http://eslonlinecebu.webs.com/index.htm

• 4 weeks later...

It's okay. I have found my old friend Sem Villar. A kind gentleman from Australia just rang me direct, and gave me Sem's current cell number. Peter, thank you so very much, sir, for your kindness and willingness to help.

Anyway, if anyone wishes to learn Cebuano, I can certainly recommend Sem as a TOP teacher. When I first decided to take lessons, he is who was recommended. He taught me in a 1.5 hour class every day, five days per week. We started at 5:30am and went until 7:00am daily. So, trust me, he is quite flexible.

I thank God above, for now having contact with SEM again.

I have his email address and cell number. I will give it to anyone who contacts me wanting it. I will not, however, post that information on the open forum.

I hope you boys are ready to learn, though, if you get SEM. Because you will have the guy you need for that plan.

I would be more than interested as we are coming in nov and that is one of the things at the very top of my list. thanks Dalles

I would be more than interested as we are coming in nov and that is one of the things at the very top of my list. thanks Dalles

As i am new to this site i need to ask Paul how i will be contacted as i do not have access to members